Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New user checking in and just starting my hunt for a new sofa

Default New user checking in and just starting my hunt for a new sofa

I saw your forum mentioned on bogleheads, I believe, and decided to stop by. My sofa of over 10 years just gave out on me with a busted spring and I am now on the hunt for a new sofa.

My current plan of attack is to hit the various furniture stores this weekend just to narrow down what I am looking at since I haven't looked in years. I am definitely open to any advice or pointers as I hope to make this a relatively quick process. I am leaning fabric due to my cats and no reclining. While I haven't ruled out a sectional, it would be a tough fit for my space.

I am hoping to not break the bank, but I also don't know what I should realistically expect to spend these days or how long I should expect it to last. If I only need 5-10 years out of it due to a potential move in the future, are the big chains good enough?

Default Re: New user checking in and just starting my hunt for a new sofa

It could take a LONG time to answer this question in detail. Best to browse the forum for information on what to look for in builds.

Big Chains generally offer less value than small, independent stores, however prices can vary wildly from one dealer to another on the same item.

I find selling product with a projected lifespan of 5 - 10 years to be a foreign concept, however. It's either made correctly or its not. Not much in the middle ground. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks, yeah I plan to dig into the site this weekend. I know of a couple small independent stores that specialize in the high-end, but we seem to be mostly chains around here. I really want to stay below $2k and closer to $1k which wasn't an option when I shopped those places while looking for other pieces. If I knew I was staying here permanently, it would be a different story. I was hoping this couch would last me until then, but I guess I shouldn't complain about 15 years of use.

It looks like the current couch is a Hickory Hill, which appears to be out of business.

I do have a bit of concern about my budget and durability since some family will be moving in with me. They are on the larger side. All of them are over 6' with the largest 6'6 350lbs.

If you want to spend $1,000 on a couch just go to Ashley furniture and expect to replace it in five years. Sorry to say but realistically you will not find anything of quality for that price. You could try to look on Craigslist or other used sites for better brands and could find something used for that (Hancock and Moore, Bradington Young).

Just a data point, the Hancock and Moore couch I am sitting on right now is fabric and was about $2,200 delivered when I bought it 5-6 years ago.

Thanks, I plan to go by a couple independents that are listed on the Hancock and Moore just to see this weekend. I believe my current couch came from one of the stores listed.

If I had time to shop, I would be more picky, but with my couch out of commission I more want to just find something quickly and cheap to hold me over. I really didn't expect to find anything quality in that price range.

6'6 350lbs.

This is why you need something well-made. People this size tend to "drop" into furniture. They will blow apart the cheap stuff. Sorry, that's just the way it is.
    Duane Collie

I guess my question then is how much would I need to up my budget to not be concerned?

I saw one post which I can't find now that I believe said you would recommend H&M in that weight since there is a builder you would trust to reinforce the couch for this weight. I am guessing this is the frame and in addition the arms for leaners. You also seem to recommend H&M for leather which I would rather stick to fabric.

Looking on the H&M site, I would be leaning toward something along the City Sofa, 9844, but wider, which looks like it might be the 4192, Settlement Sofa.

I would be aiming for something similar in size to what I have. I am not sure the best way to measure what I have to give accurate measurements.
    Arms 24" high
    Seat with cushions 19" high
    Cushions 28" but the back of the couch is sloped so depth is around 33" at the cushions.
    Seating area is around 84" with overall 104"

For the brands I sell, I would probably steer you into a Taylor King in the Portfolio, "Design Your Own" section as you prefer fabric. In that promo, you can get the 96" Sofa in a GR 1 group fabric in a Plush Depth (41.5" deep) overall for under $ 1,800 from my store , plus delivery fees which would vary based on where you live. I'd also step up to an extra firm seat core on it (no charge).

However, if you really want something that will stand the test of hard use, the Hancock and Moore, with its solid maple frame (not plywood as in the Taylor King) has deals, but they are in leather. Now you have a sofa that can take the moves and punishment, and will be a 20+ year piece. The deal is not in fabric, however - only in leather. You can get the # 9749 September or the # 4827 West End Sofas (largest on the promo) for under $ 2,700 from my store + delivery fees. Again, Extra Firm cushions in the seats. See them in the Just In Time promotion here on the forum.
    Duane Collie

This is actually a lot better than I was thinking. I figured I would be pushing more in the 5k range.

Tried a couple showrooms today and hit a few big chains, but no luck. With the holidays it seems most have sold their displays while waiting for new stock to come in after December. Unfortunately it looks like everything is closed tomorrow so I won't be able to do anything until I can get a day off work since I don't know who will be open Xmas Eve.

I did confirm after sitting on mostly leather couches at the few places that sell Hooker, Hancock, Taylor, etc that I definitely prefer cloth. I just find leather too hot which is not what I want in Florida even though I like the way it looks.

The local showroom finally got in a couple new display models in including a Taylor King in a Plush which I ended up liking. Once I start to narrow down some fabrics I like, I will definitely be hitting you up for a price quote in the Design Your Own line. Thanks again for all your help.