Thread: Why my customers are the BEST there are

Default Why my customers are the BEST there are

I like my customers that shop with my store, it's a genuine pleasure and honor to be your merchant of choice.

The owner of West Express called me today, he was quite anxious because we had misquoted a shipment to California that turned out to be much heavier than projected, and in addition the customer requested it be left in the original boxes which cubed the truck out an additional 40% over and above the normal blanket wrap cost. It was going to be considerably more than the initial estimate, especially being left in the boxes. What should he do?

I told him to go ahead and call the customer and explain the rates, that the vast majority of my customers are reasonable and understanding, and no one really wants to take advantage of a long haul trucker trying to make a living (they actually do a commission schedule per load out). If Mr ___ begins to become upset, don't press the issue and revert back to the original quote - then send me the bill and I will pay the difference. I told him I know the trucking business run on razor thin margins and I don't want them to take the hit. Just don't make him angry is all I ask, its a big ticket item and every customer is important to me.

So he made the phone call.

Then he emailed this to me which I am going to share:

I just got off the phone with Mr ____ and I have decided that I want to be him!! He could not have been nicer about the increase in the freight charge. When I explained that we had made an error and explained the reason why, he said hey, we all make mistakes. He continued to say that as long as we were not taking advantage and the new rate is the correct rate, than he is happy to pay for it. I explained to him that since we (Keeping room and West Express) caused the confusion, that we were willing to assist in paying the increased charge. Mr ____ said again that if this is the correct rate, that he will take care of it and there is no reason that you or West should be responsible. The stress of money never seems to go away and to not worry about it would be awfully nice. There seems to be two kinds of people. Either they argue over every penny, or you have a man like Mr ____ who is awesome and simply wants to do what is fair and right. When I say I want to be him it is a good thing. The last person that I wanted to be was Jimi Hendrix

And this is also why I like using West Express. Believe me when I tell you that many trucking and delivery operations out there would have simply called and said to the gentleman in California, "The rate is X, if you don't like it that's too bad, either pay it or you won't get your order, or you can take it up with your selling dealer as it makes no difference to us". Kudos to West Express to take the time to explain it to me before they called, and have a genuine concern for the customer.

Last edited by drcollie; 12-01-2016 at 01:46 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Why my customers are the BEST there are

That's good on all the parties there and the Customer was more than understanding that mistakes do happen.