Thread: Shipping Question

Default Shipping Question

Howdy to everyone!

I hope I've posted this to the correct topic category... I am in need of a way to ship several family pieces to my sister who resides in Louisiana. I live in Texas. When I was a bit younger, I simply would have loaded everything in my SUV and/or rented a trailer. Now, not so much. My sister has vision issues, so she can't make the drive, either.

The items are: a couple of chests, marble-topped coffee table and end tables, approximately ten quilts, five sets of china, silver service pieces, a couple of boxes of books, a couple of boxes of mementoes.

Any suggestions as to a method and/or companies? My husband's career has had us move several times, but each time was our entire household. His company always ponied up for the moves. Those moving companies are pricey and I'm hoping there's another way!

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

TXCajun

Default Re: Shipping Question

Two ways to do it. You can call a local moving company or go on www.uship.com and put it out for bids. It's like an Ebay for shipping. You will get everything from college kids with a car and a U-Haul behind it, to a professional mover looking to add to his load. If you do U-Ship, be sure to pack and wrap everything yourself, including the furniture. Most U-Ship guys show up with almost no packing material and a couple of bungee cords, but they can and do haul for less.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Monique Guest

We sent some furniture to our daughter all the way from NC to NV. We used an ABF pod. There are several sizes of pods. We used local movers to pack the furniture and pack the pod. The pod is locked and is not opened again until it arrived on my daughter's driveway. We arranged in advance for movers there to unpack and place the furniture for her. It was a perfect move and much less expensive than any other way to ship.

Later when we moved from NC to NV, we used ABF again. The company delivered a long trailer to our front door. Our local movers loaded everything onto the trailer. When we finished, we called the driver and he came with the truck and towed the trailer away. It was taken all the way to NV and stored with ABF until our new home here was completed. I called a couple days ahead and arranged the delivery. We hired local movers to unload. The trailer had not been opened since it was packed and everything was just as it had been packed. It is a much better system than anything we've ever used before. The furniture is only moved twice...once into the trailer and once to unload PLUS your furniture is not mixed in with anyone else furniture or moved to a storage building. If your furniture does not fill up the trailer, you ONLY pay for the space that you use. We really liked this way to move and would NEVER use anything else again. We are 70 and 74 and it was the easiest move we've ever had. ABF is a great company. Communication was good and they never let us down. Storage fees were very fair as well. Trailer was stored in a locked fence area on their site here in NV.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    Howdy to everyone!

I hope I've posted this to the correct topic category... I am in need of a way to ship several family pieces to my sister who resides in Louisiana. I live in Texas. When I was a bit younger, I simply would have loaded everything in my SUV and/or rented a trailer. Now, not so much. My sister has vision issues, so she can't make the drive, either.

The items are: a couple of chests, marble-topped coffee table and end tables, approximately ten quilts, five sets of china, silver service pieces, a couple of boxes of books, a couple of boxes of mementoes.

Any suggestions as to a method and/or companies? My husband's career has had us move several times, but each time was our entire household. His company always ponied up for the moves. Those moving companies are pricey and I'm hoping there's another way!

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

TXCajun

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    We sent some furniture to our daughter all the way from NC to NV. We used an ABF pod. There are several sizes of pods. We used local movers to pack the furniture and pack the pod. The pod is locked and is not opened again until it arrived on my daughter's driveway. We arranged in advance for movers there to unpack and place the furniture for her. It was a perfect move and much less expensive than any other way to ship.

Later when we moved from NC to NV, we used ABF again. The company delivered a long trailer to our front door. Our local movers loaded everything onto the trailer. When we finished, we called the driver and he came with the truck and towed the trailer away. It was taken all the way to NV and stored with ABF until our new home here was completed. I called a couple days ahead and arranged the delivery. We hired local movers to unload. The trailer had not been opened since it was packed and everything was just as it had been packed. It is a much better system than anything we've ever used before. The furniture is only moved twice...once into the trailer and once to unload PLUS your furniture is not mixed in with anyone else furniture or moved to a storage building. If your furniture does not fill up the trailer, you ONLY pay for the space that you use. We really liked this way to move and would NEVER use anything else again. We are 70 and 74 and it was the easiest move we've ever had. ABF is a great company. Communication was good and they never let us down. Storage fees were very fair as well. Trailer was stored in a locked fence area on their site here in NV.
    Thank you, Monique! That sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with such detail. Perfect!

TXCajun