Thread: Hancock and Moore Sorensen and Ava sofas

Bcrule Guest

Default Hancock and Moore Sorensen and Ava sofas

Hi Duane,
    I was wondering if you had seen either of these sofas in person, and if so, what you thought of them. I realize taste is subjective and comfort is also a personal thing. I like the transitional styling of these, but have not been able to see them in person yet. I am average/small in size, so I am not looking for a really large sofa.
    Also, do you know what the back of the Sorensen looks like? I can't find a picture, but it looks like it may have a wood piece along the top.
    Thank you so much for any information you may be able to provide.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Sorensen and Ava sofas

The Ava sofa is striking when you see it in person, especially in one of the high-gloss premium finishes (the only way i would order it). It's one of those pieces of upholstery that when you see it - you know it's from a company that does high-end work, it looks custom made. It sits well, too. The Sorenson I don't recall having seen in person, and that is wood in the back but I don't have any photos of it as one has not come through my store.

I had recently ordered an Ava Sofa and Chair for floor stock, but had to cancel them due to an unexpected return of furniture from a customer that will have to go on the floor to takes its place.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Bcrule Guest

Thank you for that information. Every bit is helpful, especially if you can't find the product to see in person. I think I prefer the arm detail of the Ava, but I also like the stitching on the cushions of the Sorensen.
    If I can find a H&M sofa with similar seat height and depth dimensions, do you think that should give a reasonable representation of how the Ava would sit? I guess the angle of the back would also influence it, but I don't see that on their website anywhere.
    I truly appreciate your time.
    Thank you.

If anyone else has either sofa, please feel free to add your opinion!
    Last edited by Bcrule; 12-19-2016 at 11:09 PM.

One thing about H&M is that the vast majority of the line sits similar to one another, unlike some other builders that have wide swings in sit feel. Obviously there are difference is heights and the like, which you can see on the spec sheets, but for the most part they all sit quite well. I can sit in one hundred different models of H&M and there may be just one of those hundred I don't care for, that's it - a 99% consistency rate. Whereas if I go to another premium company like Leathercraft, I find I like only one out of every two sofas they way they sit, or a 50% rate. This is also the main reason I prefer to sell H&M long distance to customers that haven't had a chance to sit in one at all. I get very few complaints, virtually none - on seating feel.

You can easily get stitching/patterning on Ava that is done on the Sorensen, that's not a difficult custom and will have a modest custom charge.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Bcrule Guest

Thank you! I hope to go sit in several this week.
    Great to know about the custom detailing.