Thread: How to tell if just need new cushion core or deck/springs are worn out?

Default How to tell if just need new cushion core or deck/springs are worn out?

I am wondering how to tell if a cushion replacement is needed or if the actual springs/seat are worn out on a chair? I picked up a used Hancock and Moore Richmond chair for cheap that is in pretty good condition after cleaning it up and repairing a crack in one of the legs, but the seat is noticeably worn down when you sit in it, it sinks much further than it should and does not feel very padded. Pressing directly on the deck underneath the cushion it still feels fairly ok and I don't have any soft spots, but I don't really know what I am looking for either. I can even sit in it without the cushion and it feels like it supports my weight fine. Before I spend the money to replace the cushion to hopefully restore the chair to its full comfort, is there anything else I can check to make sure it is just the cushion?

Default Re: How to tell if just need new cushion core or deck/springs are worn out?

Post a photo here. Most likely its the seat core.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: How to tell if just need new cushion core or deck/springs are worn out?

Finally have a chance to take and post some pictures! Here is the chair, I am not sure what exactly to take photos of so I took some close-ups of the cushion and the seat, and pressed down on them in a couple to show how it reacts to pressure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair1.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	9375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cushioncloseup.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	9376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cushionlightpressure.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	9377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	decking.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	9378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deckingpressure.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	9379

That's the Richmond Chair, and it looks to be in very good shape. The chair is older - that deck label design dates it to be at least 10 years old. That chair has a solid maple frame and true 8-way hand-tied suspension, so I seriously doubt its compromised. Most likely you just could use a 21oz extra firm Qualux seat core (Q21). Price for a replacement is $ 140 plus UPS fees from my store shipped direct to you in about 3 weeks.
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane! Yes we picked it up for $175 and it was pretty dirty but overall looked like it was in good shape under the grime. I think the surface dirt had scared some people off. And one of the rear legs had a crack, but that was a pretty easy fix. After cleaning it up with the cleaning and conditioning kit we bought from you we are pretty happy with how it turned out. No rips or cracked spots anywhere, just a bit of wear on the front edges of the arms which is expected.

I'll give you a call if/when we are ready to buy a cushion. I've been happy with the other replacement cushions I've gotten, it is just a bit funny the replacement cushion will cost as much as the whole chair. I wish there was a good cheaper option but I know from other research there is not really.

$175 was a great, superb deal on that chair, you can see it was lightly used. I don't think the standard cushion you have in it now is even worn out, its just probably softer than you like is all. The Q21 will firm it about 15% in addition to being new so it would have more resilience.
    Duane Collie