Thread: Carolina Custom Leather - Has anyone heard of this manufacturer?

aroca86 Guest

Default Carolina Custom Leather - Has anyone heard of this manufacturer?

Our local furniture shop has a line that comes from this manufacturer and just branded it as their own line. Has anyone heard of them? What is their quality/pricing like? Do manufacturers like these only sell through authorized dealers such as our local furniture shop? Their website doesn't have a link that shows "where to buy". I did google searched them and some online retailers have them. Here's their website: http://www.ccleather.com/ I sat in one of their pieces specifically their hancock sofa (http://www.ccleather.com/index.php/p...sofas/270-sofa) see picture below, and I must say, it was quite comfortable. My understanding is that they use some sort of spring down for their cushion. Any thoughts on this kind of cushion? pros/cons?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCLeather.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	9388

I'm inclined to get the BY hanley model (see picture below) because of the look, but not sure if the feel of the cushion will be as soft (I've tried one other BY model, but not the hanley). I really value comfort, and my preference is for it to be soft. The model from Carolina Custom above just looks softer in general relative to the hanley. The BY Hanley just looks stiffer, like the leather is wrapped pretty tight vs the Carolina Custom model above is pretty loose so more "give". I know BY makes the same kind of model, but would rather get the Hanley.

Name:	BY Hanley.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	9389

Thank you for your responses!

Default Re: Carolina Custom Leather - Has anyone heard of this manufacturer?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions...r-any-opinions

Spring Down is commonly used in fabric upholstery as a high-line core, Ultra Down (or down over Qualux Foam) is generally used in leather. Leather is stiffer than fabric and hence the choices as such for resiliency.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aroca86 Guest

Thanks Duane! Very helpful...do you ever rest?? lol

One thing you will see time and time again in reviews such as in Gardenweb is something to the effect of "It's just as good as Hancock and Moore for less money".

I am always amused by that comment.
    Duane Collie

aroca86 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    One thing you will see time and time again in reviews such as in Gardenweb is something to the effect of "It's just as good as Hancock and Moore for less money".

I am always amused by that comment.
    haha! I now am more knowledgeable after perusing your forum this past weekend to know that that isn't true! Duane, the reason why i keep asking about the cushion is that I dont think i'll be able to try the BY Hanley before purchasing it (as you said 3/4 of ppl on this forum purchase that way). But my question i guess is, within BY or H&M, does one model sit differently (in terms of feel) vs. another? Like would a BY Hanley sit/feel different vs a BY Carrado? For example, the pictures of the Hanley below, it looks stiff because it seems like the type of leather maybe requires it to be tight around the cushion which would make it a little more stiff rather than a loosely wrapped kind (see 2nd picture below...although it is not a BY or H&M model, i just wanted to show you the look). Does that make sense?

BY Hanley

Name:	BY Hanley.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	9390

Some random brand model that shows a more "loose" leather wrapped cushion

Name:	loose leather v2.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	9391

I guess ultimately my question is, besides the cushion...what else affects the firmness/softness of the sofa? type of leather? specific model within a brand? how the leather is wrapped (tighter vs looser)? If so, when I eventually order my BY sofa, can what customization can i do to get a "softer" feel?

Sorry to keep asking the same question with different ways of wording it. It's pretty obvious that my #1 concern is softness. I also understand that the best way to buy is to test it out because softness is relative, but just wondering about the factors that make a sofa "soft" or "stiff". Thanks again!
    Last edited by aroca86; 01-09-2017 at 11:05 AM.

I would say that generally most models in a manufacturer's line up sit similar to one another. And by generally, lets say 70% of the line. A good manufacturer tries to keep consistency in their product. There is no way you can tell how a piece will sit from photos, pitch angles and spring rates in the deck as well as seat height and depth all are part of the equations. And yes, softer leathers will make the piece sit more plush than stiff leathers, which is why I usually recommend ultra down seats on leather that are burnished and antiqued as they are stiffer hides.

If I wanted a really plush sofa, I would buy a H&M Kodiak or Journey sofa in a GR 4 Capri leather and then do Ultra Down seats and Backs. That would be the ultimate 'plush' sofa that still has good structural support.
    Duane Collie

aroca86 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I would say that generally most models in a manufacturer's line up sit similar to one another. And by generally, lets say 70% of the line. A good manufacturer tries to keep consistency in their product. There is no way you can tell how a piece will sit from photos, pitch angles and spring rates in the deck as well as seat height and depth all are part of the equations. And yes, softer leathers will make the piece sit more plush than stiff leathers, which is why I usually recommend ultra down seats on leather that are burnished and antiqued as they are stiffer hides.

If I wanted a really plush sofa, I would buy a H&M Kodiak or Journey sofa in a GR 4 Capri leather and then do Ultra Down seats and Backs. That would be the ultimate 'plush' sofa that still has good structural support.
    Thank you Duane! I looked at both H&M models. The design is pretty okay, although i really prefer the look of the Hanley (are there H&M models like that that fit my requirements below?). What makes those 2 models from H&M a deal killers (prior to whether or not it fits in my budget) are the seat length (i want at least 70" or 6 feet so i can lie down) and the depth to be 23-24". I also would like the total length to be at most 91"-92". I sat on a Ricki that has a 22" seat depth per the website, and i thought it was a tad bit short. Any other recommendations?

Sorry for my multiple questions, I just want to ask you them now before Feb comes which MAY be your super busy time.

Thanks!!

Jenny Guest

I don't know how much you can tell by just looking at the photo (i.e. whether the seat feels soft by whether the cushion looks wrapped tight or loosely). I'll say this though - I also bought my BY sofa sight unseen. I had tried a few sofas (not BY, of lower quality in the local home stores) and decided I liked the down cushions most, and then I just trusted that BY would do it right and give me a similar if not superior feel. My BY looked drum-tight when it arrived but it was very comfortable. I like that slow "sinking" feeling from a down cushion, not too soft like it has no structure or substance, but with a nice, gentle descend as you're sitting into it. I definitely wouldn't describe my sofa as hard. But that's all subjective. It's not over-stuffed-la-Z-boy-fabric-chair "plush" if that's the feeling you're going for though.

Also, from an personal aesthetic point of view, I don't like "loosely" wrapped cushions because they are already half way to looking "used" in my mind.
    Last edited by Jenny; 01-11-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Best bet is to simply go to the website of the maker you are interested and look at the models and measurements. I don't have all the measurements memorized for the pieces - there are far too many of them for that.
    Duane Collie