Thread: This is how you sell it. Washington Post Article on a new furniture maker.

Default This is how you sell it. Washington Post Article on a new furniture maker.

My experience with Newspaper Reporters is they will publish most anything put in front of them if it's handed to them in a story-mode, all laid out and easy to write up. This was in today's Washington Post and is presented as the greatest new thing since sliced bread. In reality, D. Weiner is just really good at self-promotion. And that's not taking anything anyway from her - good on her. I should do more of this myself! She's selling Sizzle, not Steak. I just shook my head when i read this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.85f74bc7776f

The materials used are called "Performance Fabrics" and go under the trade name of Crypton and Sunbrella as the two primary suppliers. They are simply scrubbable fabrics that you can clean with soap and water. Originally done for the commercial market, they were too abrasive and "scratchy" for residential use until about four years ago, when the companies were able to improve the hand, or feel of the materials. You can buy these performance fabrics from most any furniture store in town, they are commonplace in the industry. Taylor King and Century are just two companies I have in my store that have a lot of these kind of materials. Frame construction is not unique, all better quality upholstery is made like that as well.

That's the "Steak" of the business, so as a consumer do your due diligence and be mindful to not by too much of the "Sizzle". Shop around, you may be surprised at what you can find if you look and don't get taken in my "Reality" articles like this one.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: This is how you sell it. Washington Post Article on a new furniture maker.

I actually just watched that episode and this reads almost like a transcript of the episode.

Default Re: This is how you sell it. Washington Post Article on a new furniture maker.

Like I said, Newspaper feature writers frequently take the path of least resistance. Put something in front of them that was pre-written and a good story - they will change a few words and print it. I used to do that many years go by sending in articles and they were published 98% as I wrote them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.