Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming this Fall 2017, a new leather series which promises high durability

Hybrid View

Default Coming this Fall 2017, a new leather series which promises high durability

One of the most frequent questions I get - almost every day - is "I have a Dog (or a Cat), what's the best leather for pets?"

My standard answer has always been "There isn't one. Furniture is designed for use by people, not pets."

One of the trends I see in the leather furniture market is there is less desire for customers to have a fine leather with a wonderful hand. Instead, it seems as long as the color of the hide is OK, they simply want durability above all else Up until now, the way to get durability has to been just keep laying layers of paint and topcoat in the hide, but that creates a heavy build and plasticky feel. In conversations with the CEO of Hancock and Moore about this, he called me today from a leather trade show they are at and said they are buying a new leather series by Crypton, the company that makes Performance Fabrics which are the current rage. Crypton is doing ground-breaking things in durability of covering materials and they have found a way to infuse their process into leather. In fact, this leather will be safe to clean with a 10% Bleach solution - something that is unheard of to put on any other hide. Once they get some larger samples of these new leathers, they are going to send me a piece to play with, and I will put it through a chemical torture test and report back. This will not be for several months though.....

Expect these new Crypton leathers to appear in the Fall 2017 High Point Market introductions. H&M will not be the only company offering it, I'm sure. Now this is not the kind of leather I would ever buy for myself, I'm a dedicated Pure Aniline leather guy - but for those who are looking for that pet-use leather, it should be available about 9 months from now.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-18-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Coming this Fall 2017, a new leather series which promises high durability

Wow, that's some impressive claims! I'm curious to see how it feels and holds up.

charcup Guest

Default Re: Coming this Fall 2017, a new leather series which promises high durability

This is something I'm extremely interested in. I'm not a clean freak but I sure do enjoy being able to disinfect when I am cleaning.

Will you start a new thread when you perform tests on samples?
    If you intend to post results in this thread, is there a way to subscribe to email alerts?

Rollout is in the Fall at the October Market, so don't expect much before then. When the do come out with it, I most definitely will get a large sample and torture test it.
    Duane Collie

any update on this

I can’t stand this new leather, its awful and I would not recommend it to anyone. It’s stiff, glossy in a bad way, had no hand to it and there are vinyls I would prefer over it.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I can’t stand this new leather, its awful and I would not recommend it to anyone. It’s stiff, glossy in a bad way, had no hand to it and there are vinyls I would prefer over it.
    Thanks for the review, was hoping it might be a good alternative. Do you have any pics of it you could share?

I have not seen it made up, however the Century execs where in my store this morning and suggested I consider it for a floor model piece. They brought in large samples and its still awful - and I told them so. Imagine if you will a nice piece of leather with say three coats of polyurethane on it.....there is no hand to it whatsoever, its crinkly, glossy and I will never put it on the sales floor. Maybe that's the best Cryton can get it to be - and it is water resistant, so there's that. However I won't encourage anyone to buy it as ultimately I don't think you will be happy with it.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I have not seen it made up, however the Century execs where in my store this morning and suggested I consider it for a floor model piece. They brought in large samples and its still awful - and I told them so. Imagine if you will a nice piece of leather with say three coats of polyurethane on it.....there is no hand to it whatsoever, its crinkly, glossy and I will never put it on the sales floor. Maybe that's the best Cryton can get it to be - and it is water resistant, so there's that. However I won't encourage anyone to buy it as ultimately I don't think you will be happy with it.
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like vintage commercial vinyl.

Heh I can just picture you telling them it was bad. I wonder what their response was!