Thread: Looking for advice on my family room

Default Looking for advice on my family room

I'm planning on buying new furniture for my family room. We moved in recently and it has old furniture that doesn't really fit the room. Everything is up in the air more or less. The TV isn't permanently mounted (it's a 65" flatscreen FWIW). The only thing I'd like to keep are my tables/end tables. I'm a guy who's not a decorator so I don't really know what I'm doing.

I've attached a few pictures that I drew in CAD to kinda show what the room looks like and some things I was thinking. Room is 19'x20' roughly with 12' ceilings if that matters. There is a large window (highlighted in green on my attachments). The other entrances are archways leading into the kitchen/front of the house.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what sorta furniture might fit in here or if my current ideas are decent or completely crazy. I sketched out two options, one with a pair of sofas, another with a sofa/loveseat, other than that they're similar.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fam_dual_sofa.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	9397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fam_love_option.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	9399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fam_love_option_iso.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	9400  

Default Re: Looking for advice on my family room

I like your layout graphics, very trick.

A room your size is easy to work with because it's close to being square, and the high ceilings give you spatial awareness. Your layouts are good. A couple of thoughts:

* The Chair next to the large TV (and I assume backing to either a window or room opening) looks like an afterthought and in that position will be rarely used. I would wait on buying that until you have the other pieces in place.

* Loveseats and Sofas are so close in price that you should make your decision on spacing. If two sofas work and don't cramp the space, I'd consider that and dispense with the chair perhaps.

* Have you considered a sectional? That room is tailor-made for one.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

The chair is up against railings going down into the (unfinished) lower level--also next to the opening to the foyer. It was meant probably mostly for my wife who wouldn't care if she could see the TV or not. I had it in my head we needed 3 pieces of furniture and wasn't really thinking about not having it but it might be a good idea. The only thing I worry about doing it later is possible issues matching the previous leather.

That was basically my thoughts on the loveseat/sofa as well. Your idea on getting rid of the chair makes the room less cramped regardless.

As far as a sectional, yes I considered it and looked at various options but my wife seems to not like the sectional idea. I'm also not quite sure how one would do it. I presume you're suggesting an L shaped sectional replacing the two sofas. What does one do with the end table then? Move it into the corner behind the sectional?

The end table just goes where it can go. You can to either a 90 Degree "L" or a radius corner in that layout. Based on what you've shown me, I'd go sectional and not worry about the end table too much, it will find a landing spot somewhere. I like the LESS is MORE format for furniture. You can always add later on if you feel it needs more. I see a lot of customers try to fit too much into a room when it looks better with some air space. You would not need to match a hide if you added a chair down the road - contrasting materials can look great as well.

With the sectional, I'd use a 40" Square Cocktail ottoman in the space, too. Just a thought.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jenny Guest

A few things to consider:

1. Given the size of the windows, you may want to be aware of the effects of sun on leather. You didn't specify if you were going fabric or leather for the material, but it's something to keep in mind. Duane has some good posts about it.

2. I don't know how your room is positioned - is there any glare on the TV?

3. I do like the chair, and I think it makes the room more welcoming. I agree with Duane in that you should do it last - after you've put the room together, pick an interesting accent chair to go there.

The windows are westward facing but I'm fairly protected by trees. I think sun is still a concern but I don't know if it's terrible. I'm going to do some checking in the afternoon and see what I can see.

I'm aware of the issues on fading leather--aniline in particular. I'm still trying to weigh the pros and cons of different leathers.

The TV doesn't seem too bad glare wise (there is some issue) but I don't really know other options either. Putting more in the corner is a bit difficult because the fireplace sticks out 16" and over the fireplace is just too high.

MJM_CA Guest

Since your room is (roughly) square and you have room, I would do two sofas arranged like you have. Sectionals are fine, but people like arms for separation. The sofa/loveseat combo looks more like you bought a matched set of furniture - an interior designers pet peeve.
    A square coffee table would be preferred.
    Anchor your TV with a media console.
    Add a smaller scale swivel, wing or accent chair next to the fireplace. Eliminate the large chair next to the stairs.