Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock and Moore Martini Sofa and Chair

RyanS Guest

Default Hancock and Moore Martini Sofa and Chair

Hello. My name is Ryan and we are planning to buy all new furniture for our living room. I have been reading lots of excellent information on this forum and it along with what I have read elsewhere has pointed me to Hancock and Moore. In an effort to get the very best while still maintaining our budget we have decided to look at what is available in the Town and Country or Just in Time programs. What we really like is the Martini Sofa, Chair, and recliner although we may end up getting a chair and a half in fabric as our 3rd piece. We love the Cameo Carmel Burnished leather. Our problem is that we have not sat in it and are nervous about spending that much money without sitting in it. We have sat in an Austin high back chair and a September sofa. Both were super comfortable. We don't like the look of the Austin high back at all. The September sofa looked much better but we don't care for the arms. The Martini fits the bill for us on looks. Would the Martini be comparable to the previous two for comfort? I know comfort is subjective but any help in comparison would be appreciated. My wife is 5' 4" and I am 6' 2". I never lay on the couch as I always sit with my feet up on a table or ottoman. If there are any recommendations for a fabric chair and a half we are all ears there too. Thanks in advance for any help!

RyanS Guest

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Martini Sofa and Chair

I just saw that the York sectional is also available in the Town and Country program in various configurations and in Angelo Graphite. Looking at the pictures and dimensions it looks pretty deep and the back might not be real tall. That said an L shaped sectional in our room would be great. Any thoughts on how this would sit compared to the two that I sat in that I mentioned above? I like the looks of the Martini better but a sectional would be a great option as well.

No one can determine "comfort" but you - and anyone that says they can is doing you a dis-service. I do find it interesting that you liked both the Austin High Back and September - as those they are rather different pieces. You will find, however, that most of the H&M line has a comparable sit. I know of all the pieces they make, over 1,000, there are probably only 3 that I don't really care for in terms of how they feel to me. The Martini series is a good platform - I'd be pretty confident you would find it to your liking. Take a look at these chair and a half units:

http://www.jessicacharles.com/Produc...Chair-and-half

The York sectional does not have a tall back.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hello Ryan--
    My husband and I both sat in the Martini sofa, recliner, and chair at a store in Hickory NC in the cameo carmel burnished and were very impressed. (I am assuming you are talking about the regular Martini sofa and not the recliner sofa) The sofa seat is slightly shorter than some of the others but is not difficult to stand up from and had good back support in our opinions--he is 6'2" and I am 5'5". I liked the fact that my feet were on the floor while sitting all the way back on the sofa. The cameo burnished leather has a great feel for the price of the T&C--the carmel is a lighter color so you don't want to sit on it with new blue jeans. It won't exactly be the plush feel of the bustle back sofa but was very comfortable for us. I think I would fall asleep every time I sat in one of the bustle back sofas! We ultimately chose another sofa because of the wood on it but the Martini was a close second for us; I think you'd be happy with it. Just pay attention to the height of an ottoman when you are choosing one to match the sofa. Also, the recliner (I can't recall if that's what they call it) was the push back kind (not automated) that we tried and was every bit as comfortable as any recliner I had sat in. The chair was substantial and also comfortable. I can understand your hesitancy to buy without sitting in the furniture (I went to the factory to try sofas out but I live in NC), but for what it's worth I can give it a hearty recommendation even compared with the higher back versions.
    Last edited by HellofromNC; 01-24-2017 at 02:54 AM.

RyanS Guest

Thanks for the feedback. I just realized that the cameo carmel burnished leather is not protected. The furniture will get heavy daily use (We have 3 boys ages 5, 8, and 11). I certainly don't want something that will stain easily. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Burnished leather are very, very tough. I have them on the most frequently used pieces in the house - the kitchen barstools. No way I'd have a "protected" or finished leather on those pieces, they would have finish wear on them by now! But that's just me....

"Protected" just means its painted leather, nothing more.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ryan, I think Duane has convinced me that the "unprotected" leathers are nicer than the protected ones if you want the feel (and even the smell) of real leather. Burnished leathers have a coating on them that makes them tougher than some of the others (but not to make them any less comfortable). My final choices included Cameo along with Hyde Park and Wade leathers. As stated in this column, I guess the longevity depends how you take care of it. I just think if you are going with H&M you should get the best leather you can, which includes how it will age and the feel of it. I haven't looked at the T&C lineup in a while to see if Wade or Hyde Park leathers are offered in anything. Again, you would not want your boys to sit on the cameo caramel in new blue jeans and it is a bit lighter in color than some others, but is a good choice in my book.

KevinD Guest

Please explain the new blue jeans effect on this leather? if that is a problem would you have to monitor guests and others before they sat?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Please explain the new blue jeans effect on this leather? if that is a problem would you have to monitor guests and others before they sat?
    Duane has said that if jeans that will bleed indigo dye and have not been washed a few times transfer the dye to the leather, it will be permanent. I have noticed that happens with leather purses that are against jeans when carried. He has also said if you have a swimming pool and folks come from there with wet bathing suits to sit on a leather sofa, that's not a good thing. Other than that I believe most spills will not harm it as much.
    Not sure if that means you have to monitor your guests...

KevinD Guest

Good to know this information. I understand the connection when clothing is wet but did not know this could happen with dry jeans and a dry leather sofa. Thanks again.