Thread: Drexel/Huntington House?

Coleen Guest

Default Drexel/Huntington House?

Hello Duane - GW is useless now that you are gone! I'm happy I found you again here. Good luck with your site!

We are replacing our upholstered sectional. We have two young kids (5 & 7) and dogs - so it's going to get a lot of (ab)use! - I'm looking at Drexel and Huntington House. (Those sectionals can get pricey!) The SA recommended HH as she says it's good quality and it's a better value with the programs they have. Can you tell me what you think?

Thanks so much!

Thanks Coleen! You are going to swell my head <laughing>.

I wish I could help, but I don't know Drexel or Huntington House brands well enough to advise on them. I can tell you however, that if you want something that will stand up to hard use, consider leather as its perfect for kids and dogs. Lasts 4x or longer than any upholstery and when it gets grubby from the family traffic its easy to wipe down with a damp cloth and keep on going.

Steve, you know anything about Drex and HH?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Coleen Guest

THanks Duane - We're not really considering leather for the sectional. We just got 2 lovely H&M club chairs and it would simply be too much!

soster Guest

Both are considered good and reputable brands. About Drexel, buy it if its the right thing for you, not because of the name. I think you'd be fine either way.

Addgre Guest

Default On the subject of dogs

Hi am new to this forum, very glad I found it. We are looking to replace family room furniture and the dogs are really a part of the family. We currently have cotton upholstery with stain guard, big mistake. Are any of the synthetic leathers worth considering? Mercedes uses what they call MB-tex and it looks and feels like leather, and wears like iron, wish I had it in my truck. The room gets the most use of any in the house. We like to buy quality and keep it, have 30 year old PA House, sorry to hear they moved to China, more jobs lost. Anyway, I am hesitant about leather as it will take a real beating.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Glad you are here.

I'm a big fan of leather as most here on the forum know. It outlasts fabric by a factor of 4 to 1, and you can't beat the combination of durability and comfort. The new 'synthetic' leathers are decent enough, but they're not inexpensive, costing as much as real leather for something you'd actually want to buy. MB-Tex is a high quality vinyl, and they do a good job with it. It wears like iron, but there is no warmth to it, and it always has a vague 'plastic' feel to it. As a bit of a 'car nut' I've owned Mercedes with both leather and MB Tex in them, and while the TEX stays nice looking for a very long time it has no life to it, and I don't like the odor of the outgassing of the material.

Don't buy BiCast. That's a rather bizarre product in my opinion made of chemically melted leather scarps bonded to a polypropylene sheet. It does not have the strength of leather.

I suppose if you really want durability you should go vinyl, or get some of that clear thick plastic covering that used to be popular in the 60's. Neither is very nice to sit upon.

If you stay with fabric, get a microfiber. They perform well in hard use situations. Otherwise get a finished leather. Those would be my recommendations.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.