Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore # 5067 Tavern Sofa in Capri Navy

Default Hancock & Moore # 5067 Tavern Sofa in Capri Navy

I've had thousands of sofas come through the store over the past 32 years in business, most I look at to make sure they are ready to deliver and take a few photos of them, then move on. This one stopped me cold in my tracks because it was just stunning. And it takes a lot to stun me. This has to be one of the top five sofas that I have ever sold. The workmanship on it is incredible, the tufting is as close to perfect as humanly possible, its terrific to sit upon, and the GR 4 Capri Leather - well you can't tell how marvelous it is from a photograph, but its like velvet. This is the Rolex Daytona of sofas, without a doubt. And it smells like butter (most leathers have a slight chemical scent to them, Capri does not). It's not an inexpensive sofa, but you probably knew that already. This one is going to a home on Capitol Hill tomorrow morning, and I think the new owners are going to love it. Wood is Mahogany Distress, nail trim is "A".

CORRECT MODEL NUMBER IS # 5067.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	1042 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	11364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Views:	814 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	11365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	11366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	11367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg 
Views:	711 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	11368
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-27-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock & Moore # 5967 Tavern Sofa in Capri Navy

Beautiful. It would be gorgeous in Butternut or Mink or Harness or Tobacco, too. Capitol Hill as in Congress or Capitol Hill as in the neighborhood?
    Last edited by SueCT; 11-30-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
    ... Capitol Hill as in Congress or Capitol Hill as in the neighborhood?
    Hello. Based on the sentence, "This one is going to a home on Capitol Hill tomorrow morning, and I think ...," it sounds like a residence.

Hope the doorways are wide enough, Duane! That's a beautiful sofa.

Ahhh, missed the word “home”. You are correct. Stayed in a brownstone there for a while many years ago. Some beautiful homes. I am sure it will fit right in. It would also look lovely in an office setting.

5. 12-07-2018

Reason
    political

I agree, this sofa and leather combination looks stunning! Do you suppose that when H&M has a piece that is particularly well suited to show off the excellencies of one of their designs, do you suppose they might sort through the Capri to find some hides that are extra select so as to produce an extra special show case?

When leathers arrive at H&M from a vendor they examine all of upon arrival to make sure they meet standards. Appx 1/4 of all hides that arrive are rejected and returned to the leather tannery, who will move them to another maker. This is why we see very few flawed hides in the hundreds of products that come through the store - they're all prime. So the answer to your question would be "no", they don't cherry-pick them for a particular project.

Capri (and Quintessence) used to come out of a tannery in Slovakia, however it shut down several years ago. No other tanneries they were getting hides from wanted anything to do with a leather that fine, so Tim Rogers (CEO of H&M) went in search of someone to produce the hides. They finally found a tannery in Germany that is primarily a supplier to designer leather products (Chanel, YSL, Louis Vuitton, etc) who agreed to produce them. However, they would not stock them (most tanneries stock their hides) so when Capri or Quintessence are out at H&M, it can be a long wait to get them as that German tannery does them to order. I'm also told they are not particularly anxious for the furniture end of the business as it means the hides have to be much larger and much cleaner overall for use on furniture than on handbags. It's also more profitable for the tannery to sell designer leather. Steers from Germany and Belgium are some of the best hides in the world. They don't have a lot of biting bugs there and they don't use barbed wire, so the hides are very clean when they come to the tannery. Now you know why these are Grade 4 leathers. Expensive, but you know the difference as soon as you touch it.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane, how does its sitting compare with 9876-88 kent sofa and 8876-77 kent chesterfield sofa? I prefer firmer seat and back.
    Also, can this Tavern sofa be customized to a lower seat height such as having bun foot instead and to 110inch width?
    I need a sofa for living room which is 5m x 6.4m.

Thanks!

Comfort is very subjective. I find the Tavern has a slightly higher back than the other two and that would make it better for some. Sit-wise, all are excellent. The Tavern has a lot more style with the curved front - the others are straight across the front.

The Tavern has a fairly low seat height already. Can H&M customize? In most cases yes - however that one will be costly do do so as its complex and all the bends and tufting pattern have to be re-designed. More so if both length and seat height are done as that's two dimensions so customs charges would likely be over $ 1,000.00 Also, visual proportions change when you do big stretch-outs like that. So you want to be careful, because you can have a very costly sofa on your hands that may not turn out as you expect.
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-16-2018 at 11:40 PM.
    Duane Collie

Thanks for your prompt reply. What i meant by reducing seat height was to simply change to another base like bun foot. No changes will be made to the bends and tufting as I really love those designs. Correct me if I'm wrong, so the charges will be around $1000 - 1500 for the width change (from 82.5'' to 110'') and base change?
    I really like the moveable seat cushion since it seems to be thicker thus more comfortable than others, but actually all of them sit the same level of comforts? If you had to choose, which one out of the three you would choose to extend to 110inch?
    It is a tough decision for me as I have only sat in 9876-88 and loved it since. Thanks!

When we do leg swaps at H&M we always try to maintain the same length in the foot, we rarely advise putting on a shorter leg as it changes pitch angles. That can be a bad move.

You have to change the tufting pattern because your layout of the diamonds is altered with any dimensional change. It all has to be re-figured from scratch so the right distance and proportion is maintained. There's a lot of work involved by the pattern maker to do that.

I won't commit to "Comfort Levels" because that is all subjective and different people like different things. Suffice to say I find 98% of everything in the Hancock and Moore line comfortable to me. There are other brands such as Leathercraft where I would reduce that percentage to about 60% for example.

Since you ask, I would not extend any of those sofas to 110". That's a huge alteration to the design form factor and proportion scale to increase by that much. Not for me, I would not be willing to risk it. Full-on Customs are not returnable under any circumstances.
    Duane Collie