Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emilio Sofa, Chair and Ottomans in Tiburon Java

Default Re: Emilio Sofa, Chair and Ottomans in Tiburon Java

ViviV your furniture is beautiful. I had been following your thread because I've been looking at the Wrangler also and was curious to see where you ended up. I hadn't seen the Emilio line yet, so I'll look. I'm also looking at similar colors that you were. The Weston's are gone. So far I like the Hyde Park Cognac, I have some more on the way. Nice to see your process and where you ended up. I think I have a Tiburon on the way.

My wife and I are looking into buying a H&M sofa and have chosen to focus on the Emilio after looking through their site and catalog. What's unfortunate is that the local stores do not have much of a selection of H&M (and no Emilio sofas) so it is tough to fully understand what we are getting ourselves in to. As such, I'm hoping that you can help answer a few questions since you are an owner of one.

First, the total depth is listed as 44" while the inside (seat) depth is just 21.5". Compared to other models, this is quite a big difference. Are the cushions rather large to account for the difference? We would've expected the seat depth to be deeper than 21.5". (we actually prefer a deeper seated couch so may look at customizing it to 24")

Second, the pitch of the back of the sofa looks rather slanted in some pictures. We are concerned that the natural seating position of the sofa would be quite angled. Does the sofa sit comfortably?

Third, we are trying to decide between a grade 1 or 3 (perhaps a gunner or wade). I see that you got a grade 3. Would you definitely recommend it despite the extra cost?

Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you!

RG

You may want to use Private Messaging to reach out to another member on an older thread as they may not see your question otherwise. PM's usually trigger an email to them.

21.5" is an average depth - you can have it customized to suit you however. Cushion size is average.

Any loose cushion back can be adjusted as they are held onto denim type back with velcro. You can change the pitch several degrees by simply repositioning the back cushion.

The Emilio Series is in the Town and Country Promotional Program in Gaucho Mocha Burnished (GR3) . If you like the color leather, it effectively gives you (more or less) a GR 3 sofa at a GR 2 price point.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MJM_CA Guest

Ragregor,

I have the Emilio. The back of the Emilio is thickly padded and slanted. This accounts for why it’s wide and the seat depth is standard.

The back cushions come up high. We initially didn’t like the seating of it as much.
    We switched out the seat cushion cores to the down upgrade which helped.

I like the style of the Emilio. But it’s not nearly as comfortable for us as the September sectional.
    Due to the higher back and square arms of the Emilio it just isn’t as comfortable as the proportions and round arms of the September. Our September has standard cushions. For another more comfortable style I would consider the Kodiak.

I have the Emilio in the Gaucho Mocha Burnished Duane suggested from the discounted lineup. The leather is very nice.

ViviV Guest

Hi Ragregor,

Sorry for the delayed response.... we were on vacation with the kids! I highly recommend the Emilio. The style fit the bill for us. We did not want rounded arms, nor the curves of the other sofas in the H&M lineup. Our space called for straight lines and the Emilio was the one I fell in love with. After MJM_CA helped me out and posted pics and opinions of his Emilio I became convinced. And we are going on a year and half of owning it and we absolutely do not regret our choice.

I did tweak it a bit though. We have the 21oz cushions and the sofa sits soft but firm. Not much slant on our back cushions because we adjusted them as Duane explains. The back cushions are super stuffed and comfy. I added 3" depth and the result was an ENOURMOUS sofa and chair. I can sit cross legged on it and fit perfectly well. It's almost too deep.

We had it made in GR3 Tiburon leather and absolutely love the smell, the feel, the uniqueness and the "nakedness" of the leather. It is so luxurious and unique. You can see fat wrinkles, flea bites, birth marks (I think??), etc. in the hide! It is so amazing! The arms are not comfy though, as MJM_CA, comments. They are cushioned but since there are nails on them and they are square, you can't lay your head on them, and you can inadvertently hit you elbow on a nail, etc. But I have tons of beautiful throw pillows that I rest my head on when I nap on the sofa. The leather just cradles you and you sleep like a baby! So yes, I suggest a GR 3 not a GR1 leather. It is totally worth the investment. I now see other people's "painted" leather sofas and feel like a leather snob as I look with a critiquing eye. The Gaucho Mocha leather was a close second choice that I considered due to the price break you get but at the time of my order it was out of stock. I love the deep color of the Gaucho Mocha. And trust me, I looked AT ALL THE GR 3 leathers. We could not afford to go up to GR 4 although I would have loved to! I have enough leather samples to cover another sofa!

Lastly, but most importantly, Duane was amazing at helping me choose and order our dream furniture. I HIGHLY recommend him and his unwavering commitment to his customers and to the H&M brand. I only wish I had 4 other living rooms to fill with furniture so that I could buy some more H&M pieces from him. His prices BTW are the best in the country -even with shipping included! I'm thinking that I might need to order some bar stools in the near future

I live in Houston and during hurricane Harvey we escaped without water damage, thank God. But we now joke at what we would have done to save our precious H&M furniture in the case of flooding. The Emilio is NOT a sofa that my husband and I could move by ourselves to the second story of the house.... it weighs like 300 or 400 lbs if not more!! So we have come up with ideas (besides buying flood insurance of course!) on how we would lift it on large buckets or bricks to save it from water damage! We love it that much!

I hope this helps you with your decision. Let us know what you decide to do!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by ViviV; 07-18-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Thank you all for your in-depth responses, the photos have been very helpful. We seem to be on the same page as you ViViV regarding the style - we are not looking for rounded arms and the Emilio suits our preferences more than any other in the H&M lineup.

We are intrigued by the idea of adding depth given that the seat depth is just 21.5". I realize that this is a customization and likely will influence price by quite a bit. Was the cost increase worth it for the extra depth in your opinion ViViV? I also imagine we would be interested in the 21oz cushions after reading several reviews on this forum.

Lastly, this may be a question for Duane, but after looking through a variety of leather samples and heeding your advice on G3 leather, we had identified Wade Coffee as our favorite. However, within a day or 2 of taking the sample home with us, we realized that it is no longer on the H&M website. It is common for leathers to come and go on the site? Does this mean it is discontinued or perhaps just out of stock?

RG

If it's off the website, it means the leather had been dropped. Very commonplace, we lose about 80 hides a year and get 80 news ones. Sometimes there is stock left. Sometimes you can still get it depending on if its a tannery drop or simply an H&M drop. The key is to not wait long to check on it.
    Duane Collie

ViviV Guest

Hi RG,
    By adding to the depth of the sofa, we ended up with the sofa we wanted -deep but not exaggeratedly deep. There are some ridiculously huge sofas out there that only extremely tall people can be comfortable in. Mine is deep enough that I can cross my legs on it and fit fine. To reach the floor though, I need a couple cushions behind my back. But I'm short -5'2". The seat cushions on the sofas are enormous but keep in mind that the back cushions are overstuffed so they "cover" part of the cushion. I will send you some more pictures tomorrow for reference. I think they'll help.
    Bottom line, for us the customization of the sofa's (and the chair's as well) depth was totally worth it as was the leather upgrade.
    Vivi

Hi Duane,

We are starting to settle in on some decisions and are nearing the point of requesting price quotes. We haven't really settled on a local dealer here in Indiana so we are curious if you'd be able to help us out (not sure if location causes issues). I saw in another one of your posts that H&M often does deals in August, so we may be interested in waiting to see if that occurs before proceeding, though we were really hoping to have Wade as our leather so if there's some possibility that it's still in use, we might be willing to fast-track things a little. Please let me know the best course of action. Appreciate it!

RG

Sure, I ship all over the USA.

Wade is dropped, its not on their leather list any longer (I checked yesterday). I did not see if it can still be acquired or if they have any left over. For that, would need the color and approximate pieces you would want in it (Sofa, Chair, Ottoman, etc) so square footage can be figured out.

I'm expecting to see a 5 % off sale for August......however that is not yet confirmed.
    Duane Collie