Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Momma Didn't Know What She Had and Neither do I

RLNTEX Guest

Default Momma Didn't Know Where it Came From

Good afternoon everyone and Thank you for allowing me to join your group,
    My Mom passed away about 5 1/2 years ago and left my Brother and I with a house in Texas and a lot of memories. One in particular was of this table we have inherited and I am trying to find out something about it. All I can tell you is my Dad got it at an auction back in 1970 something down in South Texas. It has two drawers that oppose each other and I was told about 15 years ago that it may have been a library table but for who I am sure I do not know. No work has been done to it and it is all hand carved. The top is removable if the take the screws out of the bottom, it is kinda like an insert. The dimensions are 32" wide by 48" long and 30" tall. I am really just asking if it is worth keeping and maybe a little information about it if possible.
    Thank you again for your help.
    Robert

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Momma's  Old Table (8).jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	9478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Momma's  Old Table (4).jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	9481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Momma's  Old Table (2).jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	9482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Momma's  Old Table (6).jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	9480

Name:	Momma's  Old Table (1).jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	9475Attachment 9476
    Last edited by RLNTEX; 02-14-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Change Pictures

Default Re: Momma Didn't Know What She Had and Neither do I

Hi, Robert.

What a gorgeous piece! First up, please understand that I am in no way a furniture/antiques expert. Having made that disclaimer, following are my thoughts regarding your mom's table... It appears to be a very handsome late 19th century Renaissance Revival library table. I am guessing its origin is European, but it could be American. If I had to choose, I would say European. Can you determine the wood, at least for the top? Walnut? Would you add photos of the drawer construction?

It is very difficult and nearly impossible to absolutely determine much about a piece of furniture using only photos. But, it is great fun to read the stories and see the photos. So, thank you for posting yours, Robert! My ultimate recommendation is that you ask a local antiques dealer to take a hands-on look.

TXCajun

The key to determining how a piece is made is drawer photos from all angles.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

RLNTEX Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    Hi, Robert.

What a gorgeous piece! First up, please understand that I am in no way a furniture/antiques expert. Having made that disclaimer, following are my thoughts regarding your mom's table... It appears to be a very handsome late 19th century Renaissance Revival library table. I am guessing its origin is European, but it could be American. If I had to choose, I would say European. Can you determine the wood, at least for the top? Walnut? Would you add photos of the drawer construction?

It is very difficult and nearly impossible to absolutely determine much about a piece of furniture using only photos. But, it is great fun to read the stories and see the photos. So, thank you for posting yours, Robert! My ultimate recommendation is that you ask a local antiques dealer to take a hands-on look.

TXCajun
    I would be most appreciative if you could help. I will try to get some more pictures of the drawers and details on this website however, it is impossible for me to get an antiquities dealer or appraiser to put hands-on because of my remote location in the middle of Louisiana.
    Again, Thank you very much for your help
    Robert

Name:	Image00001.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	9486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00002.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	9487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00003.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	9488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00004.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	9489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00005.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	9490

RLNTEX Guest

BTW, You nailed it when you said "late 19th century Renaissance Revival library table" I found many pictures on Google. I can send more pictures of it if you want.

RLNTEX Guest

I did not know that, thank you for letting me in on a trade secret.
    OK, Here are some more pictures of just one of the two drawers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00001.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	9491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00002.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	9492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00003.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	9493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00006.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	9494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image00007.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	9495

RLNTEX Guest

About 15 years ago I saw something online that shocked me. This piece

Name:	Victorian 2,000 (5).JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	9496
    Sold for $250,000. Now I am not so naive that I believe what I have is a Rembrandt but I do think it's not something one would find at a flea market either.
    Ever since then I have tried to keep this table prestine.

Thanks for posting those drawer photos, Robert. Again, it's difficult to make solid determinations using only photos, but the joinery might be hand-cut. That would be a nice clue to the age of the piece. Hand-cut doesn't necessarily mean older because European makers continued to produce hand-cut joinery a bit after American makers started producing machine cut joinery. But, in my definitely amateur opinion, hand-cut joinery is usually indicative of an older piece. Also, if the markings on the drawer side piece are saw marks, those might also point to older because they are straight, parallel cuts and not arched from a circular saw. The stenciled numbering on the drawer underside is what always mucks up my thinking. When I see that, I tend to think a piece is more 1910s, 20s, 30s, etc.. I simply don't know exactly what those numbers say about when the piece was made. I am inclined to believe they might be pattern numbers, but I really don't know.

One other thing you might research is how to determine the finish of an old piece. This can provide more clues as to a piece's age. I've never experimented with that and would be curious to know what you learn if you do.

It's always great fun to see those rare pieces that sell for six or seven figures! Regardless of how it turns out for your mom's library table, I love that it caught your dad's eye and it's been in y'all's family for quite a while. It is a very handsome piece.

TXCajun

RLNTEX Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    Thanks for posting those drawer photos, Robert. Again, it's difficult to make solid determinations using only photos, but the joinery might be hand-cut. That would be a nice clue to the age of the piece. Hand-cut doesn't necessarily mean older because European makers continued to produce hand-cut joinery a bit after American makers started producing machine cut joinery. But, in my definitely amateur opinion, hand-cut joinery is usually indicative of an older piece. Also, if the markings on the drawer side piece are saw marks, those might also point to older because they are straight, parallel cuts and not arched from a circular saw. The stenciled numbering on the drawer underside is what always mucks up my thinking. When I see that, I tend to think a piece is more 1910s, 20s, 30s, etc.. I simply don't know exactly what those numbers say about when the piece was made. I am inclined to believe they might be pattern numbers, but I really don't know.

One other thing you might research is how to determine the finish of an old piece. This can provide more clues as to a piece's age. I've never experimented with that and would be curious to know what you learn if you do.

It's always great fun to see those rare pieces that sell for six or seven figures! Regardless of how it turns out for your mom's library table, I love that it caught your dad's eye and it's been in y'all's family for quite a while. It is a very handsome piece.

TXCajun
    Thank you so very much for your help.
    I took notice of the dovetail joints in the drawer design and they are quite flush, you really can't feel two separate pieces of wood. What amazes me is how square the drawers are. I have been working with wood for a while and I can't make a square box to save my life, not completely square anyway. These are perfect. I This lady I have been talking to locally said she found a table on eBay that has some of the same patterns in the design work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/132097610282...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Interesting find she made. This lady, a local antique dealer, tells me today that from her research she believes it to be and I quote, "Antique French Renaissance Dark Oak Entry Desk Circa 1900's with carved Beveled edge top and Baibous legs" whatever that means.
    I think this it just a specific detailed description of what what I already knew but it helps a lot.
    I also noticed that your handle (name) is TXCajun, any chance you live in Texas or Louisiana? I only ask because I live in Central Louisiana but I am from San Antonio?
    Thanks again
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RLNTEX View Post
    Thank you so very much for your help.
    I took notice of the dovetail joints in the drawer design and they are quite flush, you really can't feel two separate pieces of wood. What amazes me is how square the drawers are. I have been working with wood for a while and I can't make a square box to save my life, not completely square anyway. These are perfect. I This lady I have been talking to locally said she found a table on eBay that has some of the same patterns in the design work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/132097610282...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Interesting find she made. This lady, a local antique dealer, tells me today that from her research she believes it to be and I quote, "Antique French Renaissance Dark Oak Entry Desk Circa 1900's with carved Beveled edge top and Baibous legs" whatever that means.
    I think this it just a specific detailed description of what what I already knew but it helps a lot.
    I also noticed that your handle (name) is TXCajun, any chance you live in Texas or Louisiana? I only ask because I live in Central Louisiana but I am from San Antonio?
    Thanks again
    Robert
    Hey, Robert.

I was born and raised a (north) Louisiana girl. Some of my mamma's people were in east, east, east Texas. I spent a lot of time there, as well. Then, I went to Texas A&M (College Station, TX), graduated, and eventually wound up in the Texas hill country. I love Louisiana. I grew up with simply lovely, kind, generous, warm, and funny people. Of course, the food was/is impossible to beat! But, now my heart is in the gorgeous Texas hill country. For me, there is nothing like that big, blue, Texas sky over the Live Oak covered rolling hills.

San Antonio is a fun place! But, gosh, it's growing too big for me, now. I guess everywhere is? And, I'm curious about your current location being central Louisiana... Which type of gumbo do you prefer: southern soupy or northern gravy? I grew up learning there is a definite line! I enjoy either, but definitely prefer the northern gumbo.

TXCajun