Thread: A matter of perspective

cat@atl Guest

Default A matter of perspective

I wanted to share this link with y'all, it's from a blog on "masculine decor" (whatever!) and the post is called "Gentlemen At Home." Scroll down to the 3rd photo for a leather couch that has sloughed off a whole lot of its painted finish. Duane, cover your eyes!

http://masculineinteriors.com/englis...lemen-at-home/

I found it interesting because if you are an English gentleman with a manor, flaked off finish on your sofa counts as "the trappings of your stately home" whereas the rest of us would freak out.

Here's another view, same dude, same sofa, where you can see the really shiny original finish and all the places where it's worn off
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew...lan_Warren.jpg

And dammit, and wear plaid AND polka dots together if you want to, too It's good to be the duke!

ViviV Guest

Default Re: A matter of perspective

LOL! This made me laugh!

Branders Guest

Oh. my! I guess in some circles that's a badge of honor??? lol

Did you notice the chair in the fourth photo has a slipcover? I'd love to see the chair underneath.
    Last edited by Branders; 02-18-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: adding

cat@atl Guest

Along these lines, I stumbled upon a blog by a guy who wrote a book called "The Old Money Book" that talks, as you might guess, about the habits of old money (which he defines as 3+ generations). According to the author (generally speaking) old money is very thrifty because old money often must live on the interest of the family fortune (don't touch that principal!). He says old money buys (and/or inherits) quality and wears it/uses it/patches it up until it disintegrates. So the Duke and his friends would agree: nothing wrong with that sofa!

There is something to be said about liking what you like and not giving a flip about what anyone else thinks...

All joking aside, that circular bookcase on that same photo is awesome, all the way up to the stuffed animals on top.

Quote Originally Posted by cat@atl View Post
    Along these lines, I stumbled upon a blog by a guy who wrote a book called "The Old Money Book" that talks, as you might guess, about the habits of old money (which he defines as 3+ generations). According to the author (generally speaking) old money is very thrifty because old money often must live on the interest of the family fortune (don't touch that principal!). He says old money buys (and/or inherits) quality and wears it/uses it/patches it up until it disintegrates. So the Duke and his friends would agree: nothing wrong with that sofa!

There is something to be said about liking what you like and not giving a flip about what anyone else thinks...

All joking aside, that circular bookcase on that same photo is awesome, all the way up to the stuffed animals on top.
    Reminds me of this theory - http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7274...vimes-reasoned