I love the table you suggested. It's very much the style we like. I'm guilty of bringing things (like the large table) into the room because I like them without really thinking about how they fit in the space. The cocktail ottoman is also a great solution. My husband really wants to ditch the coffee table and had his eye on pieces like this when we were shopping last weekend.

I hadn't considered having only one chair by the window, but it makes perfect sense that it would make the room feel much more open. We can always bring in a dining chair if we need an extra seat when guests are here. What do you think about the love seat in front of the column opening? Someone I was showing my photos to said it looks bad blocking the opening between the columns. Like we just moved in and haven't purchased the proper pieces yet. We were actually considering putting a full length sofa there and having two sofas. Is that a mistake in your opinion?

You may be right about a decorator. I have so many questions! I think we also need a bigger rug. And nicer window treatments!

We spent a lot of time last night talking about the room and looking at photos of furniture her in the forum and room layouts online. We are struggling with the expense of what we want to do and trying to figure out how we can do this room, as well as some other projects we have planned this year, with the budget we have available. I don't want to do this room in pieces. This awful furniture really needs to go, and I've waited too long as it is. Are there sofas in any other brands you would be comfortable recommending for our space? We definitely want leather and definitely don't want one of the chain store brands. I feel like I'm settling for less if I don't purchase H&M, but I'm hoping there are options out there that would be a reasonable compromise for us.

Thank you again for your suggestions and for providing this forum. I have learned so much here. You and the other members are very generous with your time. The knowledge that you share and the photos everyone posts are so helpful. You can't get this kind of information standing in the average furniture store. I have a lot to figure out and many decisions to make, but I am growing in confidence the more time I spend reading here.