Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: requesting advice for family room furniture selection/arrangement

Branders Guest

Default Re: requesting advice for family room furniture selection/arrangement

I love the table you suggested. It's very much the style we like. I'm guilty of bringing things (like the large table) into the room because I like them without really thinking about how they fit in the space. The cocktail ottoman is also a great solution. My husband really wants to ditch the coffee table and had his eye on pieces like this when we were shopping last weekend.

I hadn't considered having only one chair by the window, but it makes perfect sense that it would make the room feel much more open. We can always bring in a dining chair if we need an extra seat when guests are here. What do you think about the love seat in front of the column opening? Someone I was showing my photos to said it looks bad blocking the opening between the columns. Like we just moved in and haven't purchased the proper pieces yet. We were actually considering putting a full length sofa there and having two sofas. Is that a mistake in your opinion?

You may be right about a decorator. I have so many questions! I think we also need a bigger rug. And nicer window treatments!

We spent a lot of time last night talking about the room and looking at photos of furniture her in the forum and room layouts online. We are struggling with the expense of what we want to do and trying to figure out how we can do this room, as well as some other projects we have planned this year, with the budget we have available. I don't want to do this room in pieces. This awful furniture really needs to go, and I've waited too long as it is. Are there sofas in any other brands you would be comfortable recommending for our space? We definitely want leather and definitely don't want one of the chain store brands. I feel like I'm settling for less if I don't purchase H&M, but I'm hoping there are options out there that would be a reasonable compromise for us.

Thank you again for your suggestions and for providing this forum. I have learned so much here. You and the other members are very generous with your time. The knowledge that you share and the photos everyone posts are so helpful. You can't get this kind of information standing in the average furniture store. I have a lot to figure out and many decisions to make, but I am growing in confidence the more time I spend reading here.

I have some ideas, let me ask you this - how many people use this room on a daily basis?

Is this your primary TV room?

I don't really like the loveseat there and would prefer to see (1) sofa and (2) chairs opposite one another, that's why the number of people using the room come into play and how you use the room.

I think the piano is just fine where its at, and does not need to be moved, btw.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Branders Guest

It is not our primary TV room. We have a room upstairs with comfy furniture and a large TV.

On a daily basis, two people. We are empty nesters. This is the room you see through the foyer when you walk in the front door. We usually sit in here for reading and conversing, and occasionally to watch television program in the evening. Right now I am using my laptop in the room. But this room is used more for entertaining family and friends, which we do frequently. Actually, the dogs seem to spend more time in this room on a daily basis than we do. They like the windows. I think we will spend more time in here when it's made over.

O.K., here's my recommendation taking note of your budgetary concerns. Use the Hancock and Moore in the Just in Time Promotion, in the Juno Soft Blue leather (or the Juno Dove). Either will work nicely with your existing rug though I'm partial to the blue. (1) Sofa, (2) Chairs, (1) small ottoman and start with that. Price is very aggressive in that promotion. You'd be looking at those four pieces for around $ 6,300 and then appx $ 430 in delivery fees. I think that set would transform the room and you would get H&M quality and comfort. Photos are not of the correct color leather, obviously.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5831-1-5831-O_Ricki_SO1_PR.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	9524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5831-3_Ricki_SO1_PR.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	9525

Juno Soft Blue

Name:	JunoSoftBlue.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	9526
    Duane Collie

Branders Guest

That's very pretty! I haven't considered blue, I tend to get stuck in the traditional thought of leather being mostly brown. It would be really pretty with the rug. I'm going to see if I can find this style somewhere close enough to check it out. That is a great price for four pieces.
    Thank you!

Branders Guest

My husband just posed an interesting question. He said he would like to know what you would do differently if we could spend an additional $2k, and what you would do differently if we could spend an additional $4k.

When I first posted here we were considering two Richardson sofas (quoted $3718 each locally, with King Street Heirloom- probably high, but only one local dealer), two chairs (probably upholstered), and a square coffee table or cocktail ottoman. That would have put us in the $10k range, depending on the other pieces. We are in agreement that two sofas is just too much for this room. So that's a savings right away. Not that we are in a rush to spend it all on this room, but if you have time to make suggestions, we'd love to hear them.

I'm posting some photos of the room with some of the furniture removed. My iPhone doesn't really work all that well for interior, wide angle shots.

Name:	IMG_7951.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	9527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7952.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	9528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7954.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	9529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7955.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	9530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7958.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	9531

For the extra $ 2K, I'd get a cocktail ottoman and maybe knock off the ottoman for one of the chairs if you do.

See how much better your room looks already? HUGE improvement just clearing out the old pieces. I selected one of the least costly H&M items, so if the budget expands some you can always move more into a different style or series outside of the Just in Time program to get a frame or leather you may like more. You can also go into a pair of swivel chairs as well, which might be nice. Lots of possibilities.

BTW, I sell that Richardson in King Street leather for $ 3,044 and delivery fees would run about $ 240, no sales tax collected. Just as a data point for you.
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

Ditto ditto ditto. It looks so much bigger and airier already!

We have a similar set-up in our small living room (small couch, 2 chairs). After much agonizing about cramming more seating spaces (vs. being realistic that the room's used by 2 people the vast majority of the time), I started thinking very selfishly: how do we use the room?

We have no coffee table, but rather a small ottoman and a small round pedestal table that are pulled over to where they are needed, from couch to chairs. THere's a second small ottoman (pouff type) with a round rattan tray on top; in a second it converts from table (next to my H&M recliner) to a footrest (when I sit on the couch to watch tv).

When guests come over, it's easy enough to bring in the dining room chairs. On a pretty day, what's to stop me from pulling up and turning a chair to face the window to enjoy the view, read? Nothing! Those are the things you can do when you have space around your furniture.

I agree you will really like having room to walk, and having an uninterrupted view of those windows and the outdoors.

Take a page from landscaping design, where you should think of what you want to see looking out your windows, not just what you see outside. Ask yourself: what do I want to see when I sit down? That will help you get rid of things you don't love or use.

Branders Guest

Yes! It feels so much better with the space opened up. I sure am glad I came here looking for advice! The columns are much prettier without furniture blocking them, and we are enjoying the unobstructed view out of the windows. Especially the dogs. Lol. It's just a more comfortable area to sit in without feeling cramped. The only downside is seeing the difference in the flooring where it has faded. The furniture made it less obvious. But that's a problem for another day.

Thank you for the pricing info. Your price is definitely better than my local store. I will probably keep working with them for this room since they have spent so much time with me lately. But it is nice to know I have options when we move on to the next room.

Thanks for your input, cat@ati. It's taken me some time to shift my train of thought from decorating for guests as opposed to what we need and will enjoy on a daily basis. Just because we have the space is not a good reason to fill every nook and cranny!

Branders Guest

We keep coming back to the BY Richardson sofa, mainly because it's the only one we've found locally that we both like the look of and the way it sits, but doesn't take too much of our total budget.

I have a question about leather. We'd like to go with aniline, based on all we've been reading here and its more natural state. I have a sample of 9131-86 that I'm going to play with and see how well I can rub out scratches. It's bound to get some scratches with our sofa-loving retrievers around! Any comments on 9131, or another one to consider? I've seen mention in the leather section of 9055, but haven't seen it in person or checked the price difference. My favorite feel of an aniline plus so far is the 9417. I realized it is protected. It's soft and has some character. At least the sample I have does. We don't like the samples we've seen labeled "finished" leather. Having never custom-ordered furniture before, I had no idea how hard this selection would be!

Comments and suggestions much appreciated!
    Last edited by Branders; 02-24-2017 at 02:25 PM.