Thread: Persian Rug as a present

Nakata Guest

Default Persian Rug as a present

Hello there.

I'm glad I found this forum and it's great to be here. Soon the 50th birthday of my father-in-law is coming up. He likes Persian rugs but he was never able to afford one by himself. So with his anniversary coming up, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity. Nearly everybody of the relatives likes the idea and is willing to provide some money.

Now I spent a few hours searching online. But the more information I get, the more confused I get as well. So I stumbled across the forum and hopefully I can get some advice here. I would like to know where to buy a good (and cheap?) Persian. What are the main points we have to consider? I already read the above post about the good vs cheap rugs.

I checked some websites for classified adds. Some offer really cheap, used ones for sale, but I'm quite sceptical. I know, when it comes down to Persian rugs, there are a lot of fake ones out there and don't want to buy a fake copy. So anybody knows some good, trusted websites?

Right now we have a budget of about $ 2.500. Is this enough to get a real, small Persian? What size would be appropriate for this budget. Is it possible to get a good rug for that prize or is it totally unrealistic.

Sorry for all these questions, but I don't know much about Persian Rugs. I'm just trying to get my father-in-law a nice present. So if here some experts, any feedback is highly appreciated.

Default Re: Persian Rug as a present

Persia is now Iran, and so if you want a genuine Persian you have to buy very costly antique ones, as reproductions (new) rugs are not available nor have been for decades from Iran. The best new rugs come out of Turkey that mimic the fine antiques. Expect to pay appx $ 90 a s.f. for something decent. There's a lot of junk out there, and old, dirty rugs on EBAY. Avoid.

I get my rugs for my store from Woven Legends and have at least nine of these in my own home, and inventory of about ten in the store. They are correct, proper and fairly affordable for a vegetable-dyed, handmade carpet.

www.wovenglegends.com
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Nakata Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Persia is now Iran, and so if you want a genuine Persian you have to buy very costly antique ones, as reproductions (new) rugs are not available nor have been for decades from Iran. The best new rugs come out of Turkey that mimic the fine antiques. Expect to pay appx $ 90 a s.f. for something decent. There's a lot of junk out there, and old, dirty rugs on EBAY. Avoid.

I get my rugs for my store from Woven Legends and have at least nine of these in my own home, and inventory of about ten in the store. They are correct, proper and fairly affordable for a vegetable-dyed, handmade carpet.

www.wovenglegends.com
    Alright, thanks. I guess Turkish is fine. And starting from $90? That is good news. I was expecting much more. I'll check out the website as well to get an idea.

$ 90 a SQUARE FOOT....not $ 90 per rug.

7 ' x 9' = 63 s.f = $ 5,670.00
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Nakata Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    $ 90 a SQUARE FOOT....not $ 90 per rug.

7 ' x 9' = 63 s.f = $ 5,670.00
    Ah, I see. That would have been too good to be true...

Nakata Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nakata View Post
    Hello there.

I'm glad I found this forum and it's great to be here. Soon the 50th birthday of my father-in-law is coming up. He likes Persian rugs but he was never able to afford one by himself. So with his anniversary coming up, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity. Nearly everybody of the relatives likes the idea and is willing to provide some money.

Now I spent a few hours searching online. But the more information I get, the more confused I get as well. So I stumbled across the forum and hopefully I can get some advice here. I would like to know where to buy a good (and cheap?) Persian. What are the main points we have to consider? I already read the above post about the good vs cheap rugs.

I checked some websites for classified adds. Some offer really cheap, used ones for sale, but I'm quite sceptical. I know, when it comes down to Persian rugs, there are a lot of fake ones out there and don't want to buy a fake copy. So anybody knows some good, trusted websites?

Right now we have a budget of about $ 2.500. Is this enough to get a real, small Persian? What size would be appropriate for this budget. Is it possible to get a good rug for that prize or is it totally unrealistic.

Sorry for all these questions, but I don't know much about Persian Rugs. I'm just trying to get my father-in-law a nice present. So if here some experts, any feedback is highly appreciated.
    I finally found a very nice 6 x 3 KAZAK. It fits perfectly in our budget. Thanks for your help.