Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Hancock and Moore upholstery

Default The Art of Hancock and Moore upholstery

Most consumers buy furniture based on three things. 1) Price, 2) Color, 3) Comfort. And of course, they ask about durability, wanting to get the most useful life possible from their purchase. What they often miss - and what I appreciate personally - is the Art of Furniture. There is style, and fashion every bit as much as in a fine piece of jewelry or an exotic sports car if you choose to look for it.

Case in point, the Hancock and Moore # 6277-1-L Monaco Chair that is in my own home. I selected a natural leather Italian called Hyde Park Earth Burnished for the cover and checked off the box for the optional hand lacing treatment on the arms. This morning I was playing with the dog by the chair and was admiring the design aspects of it - thought I would take a couple of photos and share.

You can see the natural markings in the leather - the faint rippled lines across the back of the cushions are fat wrinkles from the cow, and in lesser hides that has been sanded out and painted over with an artificial grain pattern embossed into the leather. The hand-lacing, while adding nothing to longevity or comfort, imparts a unique and distinctive detail that to me is worth the cost of the option. The graceful lines on the chair, especially the sweep of the arms to the back has a strong, graceful style line reminiscent of the Art Deco period in the 1930's. And being Hancock and Moore, it's built with the finest materials and given reasonable care it will last forty years or more in the original cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	9534

Of course, it's comfortable, too. Yes, a Hancock and Moore is going to cost more than your garden-variety made-in-China upholstery that has a 10-year useful life. It will last four times as long however, so cost per useful life of the piece is actually lower overall. As in most things, you get what you pay for.

I encourage you when you shop for furniture, to look at the Art of a piece, and expand your horizons when making a selection beyond the cost/color/comfort criteria. Bring home a beauty like this and you will enjoy it every day, as I do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C1.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	9535
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-26-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: The Art of Hancock and Moore upholstery

Duane--
    You have educated well...I am proud to be the owner of a chair you called "chair art" (http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...tockholm+chair). It is a BEAUTIFUL (and comfortable) chair and I appreciate the creativity and craftsmanship. I have come a long way from shopping at PB outlet! Thanks for making the arrangements for the chair to arrive at my address--it's a wonderful addition to our den!

The Stockholm you bought is really just a stunner - one of my favorite chairs. If I didn't have a pair of H&M Tannery chairs in my home library, that's what would be in their place. Not only is it a handsome chair, its surprisingly comfortable for what is essentially a mid-size chair. When your new sofa arrives, you will really have a great combo.....thank you!
    Duane Collie

Bcrule Guest

Hi Duane,

I have been admiring the looks of this chair for a while. Does the tilt of the back make you feel kind of like you are in a recliner, or is it more that you are just not sitting upright? I hope that makes some sort of sense. It looks very comfortable for watching TV, but if you wanted to read or use a laptop, would you feel like you were leaning too far back?

Thank you for any insight.

It has a "slouch" pitch to it, which I do not find excessive for either TV or reading, I find mine quite comfortable. It does not sit you upright however. I like this kind of chair and using them with small bootstools works very well for me. My son like to sprawl in it, and drape a leg over the wide arm. Works for him, too!
    Duane Collie

Bcrule Guest

Thank you, Duane.

I am about 5'5", which is average for a woman (or at least it used to be). It seems like most furniture is made for much taller people, or for people who don't like to sit with their feet on the floor. I feel like Edith Ann sometimes. So, I have gotten used to using ottomans and generally prefer that when lounging around at home. I have an Eames chair that I find very comfortable and it slants back, but I think the seat is slanted some also.

The pitch of the back of a chair or sofa is not a dimension that H&M publicizes, is it? At least I didn't see it on their website.
    Thanks again.

I am assuming you are inquiring of Duane re: the Monaco chair; however, I wanted to give my two cents on the Stockholm chair pictured in this thread. I'm 5'5" also, and this chair is very comfortable--probably sits me up a little straighter than the Monaco but also gives the back support I like and my feet can be on the floor or on an ottoman. It's my favorite chair.

Bcrule Guest

Good morning, HellofromNC, and thank you.

Your chair is truly gorgeous. I can't find it on the H&M website, though. I hope that doesn't mean it is discontinued.

It is so hard to decide on pieces when you can't sit in them in person and then choosing the leather from swatches and internet photos. It is always helpful to get as much input as possible, so thank you again. And I am a bit envious of your chair.

Hello. If you go to the Hancock and Moore website, use the Search Box and put in the word Monaco, the chair will pop up. Hope this helps.

Bcrule Guest

Thank you, RestonDweller. I can see how my post was not clearly written. I meant to say I could not find the Stockholm chair on the website.
    I appreciate the help, though.