Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help for family room (layout and furniture selection)

Default need help for family room (layout and furniture selection)

I need some help for my family room. It's for 2 (my husband and I) so I don't need much furniture but still want to fill out the room.

One of the piece that I want is H&M Monaco sofa but I still need other pieces.
    I also thinking to buy campaign cocktail ottoman instead of coffee table. Although, I am not sure if this will be too small or not for my room. I was hoping to get feedback and help on this one.
    My husband seem to doesn't like the Plantation Ottoman. If the Cocktail ottoman is too small, I may go with the Campaign bench.

The family room layout is slightly weird. There are 3 big windows on west facing wall. The fireplace is at 45 degree angle on the left portion of the wall and there is sectional for the TV on the right portion. Because of this with I thought about avoiding furniture on westside of the room (near window and fireplace).
    Although the built-in sectional has a place for a TV, I may not put a TV in the room. There is a separate media room upstairs and I may only put the TV upstairs.

I tried to draw layouts with different furniture. The masking tape on floor is for the Monaco sofa, and a chair and half or a loveseat.
    I prefer to place a sofa and chair&1/2, but I'm not sure there is matching pieces for chair&1/2 with Monaco design. The chair & 1/2 only seemed to available in the City and the Austin design but I wasn't sure if it will work well with the Monaco. I was hoping to get feedback and comments on this as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	livingroom.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	9536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofaonly.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	9537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2sofa.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	9538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofaandchair.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	9539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofaandloveseat.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	9540
    Last edited by hheaven; 02-26-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Default Re: need help for family room (layout and furniture selection)

I think your tape-job is just about perfect - you have the room nicely balanced, have preserved space and are correct not to push into the windows with furniture. I'd go with what you have laid out. The Campaign ottoman is plenty big - DO NOT do the Campaign bench, it would be far too much.

Onto the specific pieces. If you want to stay with the Monaco (love it, I have one chair in my house and would replace my two Leathercraft sofas with Monacos if my wife would agree), then they can make you a custom Monaco Chair and a Half to whatever dimension you would like. We simply take the Monaco chair and you tell us how many inches to add to it to get to where you want. Typically a custom charge in length only will be $ 600 to $ 900 depending on size and grade of leather over and above the price of the chair. I would have to get a quote to be accurate, however.

If you want to stay with stock pieces, I'd go with Chesterfields. The low back would look great in the room and you could do a # 8171 Chesterfield loveseat (67") and # 8876-88 Kent for the longer piece (88").

You're on the right track for sure.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Your room is beautiful, and I love the warmth of the wood and the light from the windows. I have a similar room with a corner fireplace and a wall of windows, and they certainly can be a challenge to design around. Your wall unit definitely helps balance your fireplace, and I feel like it gives you some options for placing furniture with or without the TV. If I understand the layout correctly, you can see into the room from the kitchen? Your fireplace is very beautiful, so it might be nice to keep it in view as a focal point. Since you say you don't need much seating, I'm leaning against your third and 4th layouts with the chair blocking view of the fireplace.

I'm sure others here will offer you some great options for layout and pieces! I also suggest taking a look at the following couple links. They give some guidance on arranging a room around a corner fireplace and helped me considerably when planning my own room. It took me nearly 2 years to figure out how my room worked best. The websites below combined with searching google images helped me have an "ah-ha!" moment. I rearranged the furniture, and one by one, my family came downstairs saying, "Whoa, Mom, this is WAY better." And despite my efforts with the room planner software, it never really helped me figure out placement. In fact, our preferred layout looks completely wrong using the planner. It seems to me the planner helps figure out if furniture will fit, but this never translates well into whether the room has a good flow.

Good luck!

https://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/...ner-of-a-room/
    http://blog.schneidermans.com/design...ner-fireplace/
    http://thedecorologist.com/a-sure-fi...ment-is-wrong/

Thanks Duane and KelliP.

Thank you for your feedback. They have been super helpful.

After looking at the taping on the floor, I think the size of the ottoman should be sufficient.

I talked with my husband. We both like sofa and loveseat But he wants to put sofa on Wall and I want to put loveseat on wall.
    So as a comprise it might be better go with 2 sofas. I heard there is little or no price difference between sofa and loveseat (it is true?)

I also consider chair&1/2 but I feel like it's not as beautiful as chair. So If I go with chair it will be sofa and 2 chairs.

It will be great if you can give me any additional advices.

I spoke with H&M today and they can make the Monaco sofa as a loveseat with an overall length of around 65". The custom charge is the price of the sofa itself, then add $ 225. So you will pay more for a loveseat in that series than a sofa, however if you need that smaller dimension of the loveseat - at least you can have that option!
    Duane Collie

Wow. In that case, I'll go with sofa.
    I'm still torn between 2 sofas and sofa and 2 chairs.
    Each of them has pros and cons so It's really hard to choose.

Thanks for all the information. you're really helpful.

If it helps, the (2) Sofa option will cost less overall than (1) Sofa, (2) Chairs.
    Duane Collie

Yes, I know but money is not top priority at this time.
    I just want to choose best choice.

I decide to go with sofa and chairs. I guess it has more flexibility for layout.
    The problem is i started to think it might be better if i mix and math chair with sofa.
    I really like monaco design but jist wondering it might be boring if All pieces are same line.

Do you have any recomendation for chair that go well with monaco sofa?
    I'm thinking utopia chair (same color with sofa) or nordic chair(/similar color and design) in JIT.

A couple of points:

* While it's about budget right now, remember that you will still have these pieces for three decades or more, so there is a school of thought that suggests to make sure you get what you want. H&M doesn't deteriorate like many other brands - you will own and use it for some time.

* I would keep the same style, your room is not that large to do mix and match. Will be more harmonious with like style. Monaco is an excellent choice, its a favorite of most of us that are dealers as well as the H&M staff. Watch the scale of pieces, the Utopia chair is a smaller scale than Monaco and will look under-sized next to the sofa.

'
    Duane Collie

Thanks for all suggestion.

Whenever I say something to my husband he say "OK, that sounds good. Let's do that way" so I guess I need some confidence for my choice.
    anyway, I can't find any piece that I like more than Monaco.