Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Space Furniture

Default Re: Your Space Furniture

Century has (4) different build lines.

The top build is SIGNATURE. It has the best of everything with a solid maple frame and true 8-way tied suspension, like Hancock and Moore.

Next level down is CORNERSTONE. Main difference from the top tier is a plywood frame and 8-way, like Taylor King

Below that is ESSENTIALS. Here you have a no-sag spring and cut foam cushion cores. I do not sell upholstery at this level unless a special order request.

The bottom tier is their Import Line, made in China. I don't even open the book on those.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

WJT246 Guest

Default Re: New! Hancock and More 'Just in Time' 2-week Quick Ship Program

I called Century themselves to ask the question about the Essential line. She told me that none of their products are made in China and that all are manufactured in Hickory NC. She said that the Essential line is made the same but does not offer the same options.
    I don't understand this because for example 8 way hand tied is offered as an option where it is standard on the other lines and you still have a choice of cushions. For example the spring down cushion is an extra $180 where on the Signature line it is included. But even adding the extra options on the Essentials line it is still almost half the price! So not sure what to think of this. The second below has a litte more shape on the side and is 2 inches longer but adding the extras on the first one it cost almost half the price!! :/

https://www.centuryfurniture.com/pro...111-2&section=

http://www.stacyfurniture.com/centur...formation.aspx

Just as point of note, please post comments in the relative section WJT246, you had your reply under a leather thread and it requires me to move it. That's a big help for me as site admin.

I don't know what to tell you other than what I know and you can decide who is your best information source. I was with the Century Rep for a couple hours on Friday and we went through quite a bit in detail, and there was an imported upholstery line that comes out of China I wasn't even interested in looking at. Century has (23) different lines of furniture, there is quite a bit of depth to it.

Yes, you can upgrade the Essentials line with an 8-way suspension, and also upgrade the cushions cores for a price. To me, that just adds another layer of confusion to the entire process for both dealer and consumer. My thinking is this...if they have dumbed down the Essentials line to hit a price point, then let you upgrade it back on some components to come back to the Cornerstone level of build, what features have they taken out that you cannot upgrade and how are you going to find out? The only way i know if is to travel to the Century factory and put my own eyes on it (which I intend to do sometime this year). Show me a Cornerstone sofa before covering it, then show me an Essentials side by side, NOW I can see all the differences and report back (Essentials and Cornerstone are built at the same plant, Signature line is a different facility).

Here's a question for you now to think through. If they are building these two lines at the same facility with the same labor force, how can the lesser line be half the price with the two upgrades? Does that make sense? I think not! There are other factors at play because you are still using the same work force, in the same overhead facility, so for more discount you have to be taking things out of the build or simply throwing your margin away to make that much pricing gap.
    Duane Collie

WJT246 Guest

I agree, it doesn't make sense! I was willing to sacrifice the shape on the side and the two inches for half the price! But now I do question what they told me at Century. By the way, the fabric I have chosen is a Taylor King Grade 22 - made in China!!! However I really do like it and they can use it for a transfer fee on Century.

OK I am beginning now to lean toward the Taylor King three seater!!

Sorry about replying in the wrong thread, I am just replying from my email notification that must be automatically taking me there. Hope this response from my email takes me to he right thread.

Nothing wrong with Century at all, I am a Century dealer as well as a Taylor King one, it's just that I only buy their better tier products as I have a pretty good idea what performs best over time and as corny as it may sound, I want my customers to like their purchase 5 or 10 years down the road as they day they bought it. I have a duty to my customers not to sell them furniture I know has too many shortcuts put in it. You can only take so much out of the build, and get the price so low, before you compromise the piece.
    Duane Collie

WJT246 Guest

OK, Duane you may find this interesting. I just called Century once again and got a very helpful lady.
    The Essentials line uses the exact frame as the Signature line. She said they are maple. I asked her with the option upgrades that you pay for on the Essenrial, 8 way hand tied and spring core cushions which make it the same as the signature still make it about half the price. The only difference is a little more style on the side and the Essential sofa is 2 inches shorter 84 vs 86 inches wide and 40 vs 41.5 deep.

She said she is not involved with pricing but the frames are identical, it is the options that are different. She said all sofas are made in NC. I asked why I should buy something twice the price for a few inches difference and all she said was I don't blame you. :/

The Essentials line uses the exact frame as the Signature line

This is why I don't like consumers calling the factory direct. You think you are getting to "the source" and in reality you are getting to the customer service (for the dealers) line to someone whose main job is punching in purchase orders and checking cover stocks, or advising the cost of options. Most of those customer service agents don't know the product line and many have only been there a short time. It's like calling General Motors Customer Service to ask what metal is used in the engine block of a Corvette - do you think that person really knows? If you are going to call direct rather than work through a dealer, you have to bypass the Customer Service lines and go either to the Sales Manager or Production Foreman in the plant. I have more consumers confused by bad info the get calling customer service lines than anything else - its always a problem. But if that's the path you wish to choose, good luck to you. I won't further debate it here in the forum with the "he said - she said" back and forth because its counter-productive. For the record:

Signature line is a Solid Maple Frame
    Cornerstone and Essentials are Plywood Frames.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-06-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    Duane Collie

WJT246 Guest

This is how I found out about the construction of Anthropologie. The people at Century were very helpful and even contacted the people at the factory that make the sofa to verify for me after having doubts about what is used that was questioned here.

They are all made in Hickory NC. The frames for the Signature line and Essentials are exactly the same. The Signature line has as standard that is an upgrade with the Essential line as well as flexibility in size for an up charge. Guess which one I chose with some upgrades.
    I have no qualms in asking a simple question like "what are your frames made of and how are they made?" not such a difficult question to get answered from the company. In fact it shouldn't in my opinion be difficult to find out from any US made sofa. They are easy to contact and speak to if there are any doubts about quality. You can even get it in writing.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-07-2017 at 09:03 PM.