Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Space Furniture

WJT246 Guest

Default Re: Your Space Furniture

Yes, I agree with comments in the link. Sadly it is just not the three seats it is the overall look. Height and height of arms look of caster legs etc. Been living in the UK for many years before returning and this is a classic as well as modern look. You can easily find the look and quality. I am American so no offense but I wonder why the quality made sofas are so frumpy looking.

Would love to find a beautiful looking well made sofa. I find it sad to buy quality it has to be old fashioned looking. And by old fashioned I mean 70's. A lot of money to spend on something that you don't like aesthetically.

WJT246 Guest

KelliP, I have disregarded that Taylor King sofa too quickly. I have seen that in the past when looking at the Century essentials sofa. I think I should look at it against the Century and perhaps consider these two sofas. Thank you!

The Anthropology one is made in NC and from what they told me sounds good quality

I don't like to bash brands, however I suggest you look long and hard at Anthropology's product, and in person. My wife drags me into their stores and of course I go to the upholstery to see how its made. It's all I can do to bite my tongue and avoid falling down in fits of laughter when I pick up the price tag. She circles back around to me because she KNOWS what will happen if she doesn't and says "Now just keep quiet and don't embarrass me in the store by discussing the quality of that sofa with the store personnel and telling them how it should be made."

So usually I leave and wait outside.....Caveat Emptor!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

WJT246 Guest

Thank you. Perhaps a good thing that it would be July after all!
    It took me a few weeks for a reply on the sofa construction. The below is the email I received the other day, hence the reason I thought they were pretty good. :/

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the Glen Lee Sofa. Our frames are constructed of kiln dried engineered hardwood frames for strength and stability. We reinforce every joint with eco-friendly glues, screws or staples and corner blocks for added stability. Seats are supported by a suspension system consisting of a tempered steel grid attached to the frame with small springs. Each seat has its own independent steel grid, providing undisturbed comfort for each person.

Cushion inner core consists of 2.0 density high-resiliency foam with soft foam wrap, of which 20% or more is plant-based material. The core is then encased in a down-proof ticking, filled with a blend of 75% fiber and 25% fiber/down. The casing has channels and overlocked seams to prevent shifting. The feathers and down are washed, sterilized and steamed dry at high temperatures using special disinfectants that prevent, reduce and eliminate most bacteria, yeast, mold and odors.

Only biodegradable detergents are used in this process.

WJT246 Guest

[QUOTE=WJT246;

Duane, that tight back Century sofa is a very good price. Do you think it is the same or as good quality compared to their higher end lines?[/QUOTE]

Duane, thought I would post this again just in case you missed it, do you know if the Essentials line for Century is a good or similar quality as the higher end Century lines?

What a bunch of gobble-gook...was this from Anthropology?

kiln dried engineered hardwood frame

Plywood

We reinforce every joint with eco-friendly glues, screws or staples and corner blocks for added stability

Staples? Has anyone ever seen a staple hold a stress joint effectively? And "Eco-Friendly" glue? Please. The majority of hardwood plywood, used indoors for cabinetry and paneling, is composed of a core layer faced with higher quality woods using urea-formaldehyde (UF) glue.

a suspension system consisting of a tempered steel grid attached to the frame with small springs

Drop-in Grid Suspension. Hardly cutting edge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drop_In_Springs_for_a_Sofa.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	9557

Cushion inner core consists of 2.0 density high-resiliency foam with soft foam wrap, of which 20% or more is plant-based material

The other 80% is petroleum based.

I have even less respect now for Anthropology than when I'm in there stores looking and their poor tailoring and noticing the flex in the arms of their pieces with the ridiculous price tags. You can see why my wife makes me wait outside....
    Duane Collie

Century has different build criteria based on their groupings, they are NOT all alike.

The Signature Series is their top of the line, built like Hancock and Moore. It's also the most expensive.

They have over (22) grouping lines, of which ESSENTIAL is one of them. Some are imports, some are domestic and using plywood frames. I believe ESSENTIAL is an import, but I would have to check into it.
    Duane Collie

WJT246 Guest

Oh dear!!!! I was afraid the Essentials line may not be as good. After your comment on Your Space I was just about to pull the trigger on that Century sofa you posted. Is there anyway to find out how this Century Essental ESN111 sofa is made and if it is made in China?

Do you sell anything like this that is well made and is a reasonable price if so?

And yes that email was from Anthropologie. Just goes to show how much I know, I thought it sounded good!

WJT246 Guest

Hi again Duane, I have just found out that the frame on the Your Space sofa is made of kiln dried alder, not plywood. Does this change your mind on how it is constructed?

I will be glad to research the Century Essentials line, however right now with the H&M sale period coming to a close, I cannot do that until later next week. Far too busy right now writing orders....

If you are comfortable with what they are telling you at Your Space, then that's all that matters. Based on the cutaways they post on their website, I would not even consider their product as a consumer. Good luck on that.
    Duane Collie