Thread: help on Secretary

W7PSK Guest

Default help on Secretary

Ive been in a desperate search for a secretary that my wife wants. She has looked in every antique/furniture store she sees trying to find it. Problem is none are right.
    Because she is looking for one here mom had and that now belongs to her sister. Ive had it measured and had my Brother in law look for markings. He cannot find
    any So I come here in desperation in hopes someone can recognize it and who might have made it. And/Or a way to find it.

Thanks,

PS its for anniversary gift.

Rick
    Desperate in Everett
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Secretary.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	9562

Default Re: help on Secretary

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that Secretary is an inexpensive production piece, I can tell from the photo. Likely you will never find one just like it. Now, I have a cabinetmaker that can reproduce it, however we would work at a higher level of build unless you really wanted us to "dumb down" the joinery and construction techniques. And here's the problem with that piece - the design form is not very good. You have to then ask yourself the question, "Do you want to spend reproduction money on what is not a very good design?"

It would cost the same to make it right and alter the design to make it correct, than to replicate it just "as is". We have done them both ways many times in the past.

A copy of that, hand-made, would run $ 3,500 to $ 4,500 and there may be delivery fees unless you pickup in Charlottesville, VA or my Store in Alexandria, VA
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

W7PSK Guest

Default Re: help on Secretary

Thanks,
    It gives me a start. We are looking for similar, and that much is way over what she is looking for.

Guess we will keep looking

But thanks for taking your time to let me know