Thread: Sofa: 95% polyesther, 5% PU...

mayomike123 Guest

Default Sofa: 95% polyesther, 5% PU...

Hello.

I am considering purchasing a brand new sofa. It looks beautiful, and is very soft and comfortable.

The sofa was presented to me, at the store, as microfiber (w/ the look of leather).

The body of the sofa consists of 95% POLYESTER, and 5% PU (which, I'm assuming, is some type of Polyurethane).

Should I be concerned that 5% of the sofa consists of "PU"?

Is PU a highly resilient, flexible and durable material? Or, will it peel or crack?

Thank you very much for your time and insights!

Default Re: Sofa: 95% polyesther, 5% PU...

I have never heard of a 95% polyester that looks like leather....but I can tell you that Polyester will pill over time. There is no magic in a Microfiber, its just is easier to clean dirt off of then conventional fabrics. Many are under the impression its has more durability and it does not. No idea what "PU" is, sorry.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

This link https://www.stancehealthcare.com/pdf...ry_fabrics.pdf give a fairly good description of the polyurethane fabrics. It appears it's primarily used in commercial settings and, like most products, has a wide quality range.

It appears that is used in the lower end of the market as best I can tell. Generally speaking I prefer less chemicals in my materials, not more, so without knowing much about it, I would be inclined to be wary of it. Here's something I found on it as well, It's really a form of plastic vinyl it seems:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Lea...s_Polyurethane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Will PU upholstery peel or crack? Of course, it will.

I have purchased chairs with a PU upholstery for laboratory use. The type that I purchased were designed to be cleaned with disinfectants. Although I have had to sit on it when working in a R&D laboratory, you won't find it in my home.
    Last edited by Kevin; 03-09-2017 at 02:28 AM.

The18thLetter27 Guest

PU might be the right name for that stuff when comparing it to leather.
    PPPEEEEEE-YYYYEEEWWW...Haha!!

All jokes aside. I would have to agree with Kevin. I am sure this kind of material has its uses, but fine furniture in my home, wouldn't be where I would want it.