Thread: MY Leather Couch chemical reaction

sofiane10000 Guest

Default MY Leather Couch chemical reaction

Hello,

I recently bought a leather couch for $1,300. I was told that it's good quality leather however after like 4 months of use I started noticing that the area where I lay my head started to worn out. I contacted the vendor and they told me that this is not covered under the insurance because it's a natural chemical reaction from the leather. So my question is this accurate. Do leather couches worn off that easily from just laying your head on them? I Have attached some picture to explain exactly what I mean. Thank you for your help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2052.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	9579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2053.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	9580

Default Re: MY Leather Couch chemical reaction

What may be happening is that the oils from your head/hair may be attacking the pigmentation on the leather. I see this most often with older men (seems it's never women, go figure?) that are on medications. There are certain medications that cause a change in the natural oils in your body and manifest at the contact points, which is typically where you rest your head and place your hands. There is not a whole lot you can do about this, because you can't exactly change your body chemistry. Some of the leather cleaning products have a barrier product included in the kit, like the one from Leather Solutions (disclaimer: I sell these products). They may or may not help but might be worth a try. If that were my piece, I'd step up the cleaning to wipe it down with a damp cloth as often as you can think to do it, and be consistent with application of a care kit and do it every other month.

BTW, $ 1,300 is not a lot to pay for a leather sofa, and you may have a bi-cast or bonded leather on that unit (most likely you do, genuine top grain sofas are more costly). If it is a bi-cast or bonded product, then they usually deteriorate quickly. Those are very poor cover choices known for losing their color and cracking out very quickly.

You can get that worn area repaired as well, there are companies that will come to your home and re-paint that (typical cost is $ 150 to $ 200)
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-10-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.