Thread: Sofa/chair selection & layout for long rectangular space

seadan Guest

Default Sofa/chair selection & layout for long rectangular space

We're in the process of renovating our home and looking for advice on the right layout and furniture selections in this room.

The room is actually part of an open concept with a kitchen on the left hand side. The block you see on the left side is a post holding up several beams that span across the room. This room is designed to be a casual family room, relatively rustic, but very comfy and functional. We want our kids to want to hang out in this area and watch TV/movies (TV over the fireplace).

I have several questions:
    1. Is it better to do the sofa on the long wall and the chairs on the short wall (as I have it layed out here) or is there a better layout?
    2. Will the chaise sectional make it too cluttered?
    3. Are there other furniture options that may work better?

For chairs, we really like the Blackhawke lounger and the Lloyd lounger but are open to other options as long as they are classic and rustic style.

We're really struggling with sofa selections. First, it is not clear which H&M sofas can be customized to be a chaise. Second, I'm a big guy and I like 25"+ seat depth. I can't find anything that is in this range from H&M. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chaise sectional.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	9594

Default Re: Sofa/chair selection & layout for long rectangular space

My opinion on your layout is the chaise is too much for the room. At 100", you have space for an average size sofa (mid 80") as you will want to use a side table on at least one side that will be 16" or wider. A Chaise would look odd in that size and be cumbersome. Just the Cocktail ottoman, a sofa, and the two chairs will suffice and fill the seating area. If you need more seating area you can fill in that area on the open side with a bench for short term seating that won't be a visual block to the open room concept.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...ns/Peron-Bench

https://www.centuryfurniture.com/pro...-3364&section=

http://www.jessicacharles.com/Produc.../Brianna-Bench

Of course, photos of the room are really needed to lay this out properly and see the space.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

seadan Guest

Thanks drcollie for taking the time to reply.

I assume by cocktail ottoman, you mean one where I can put my feet up but also use it to serve on a platter? An ottoman/coffee table combo? Perhaps that's a better option than the chaise.

Attached are some pics of the room. I apologize for the construction debris but you at least get a sense of how it will look.

What are your thoughts on a sectional in this room? We could get a rather large, L-shaped sectional that might give more seating options. However, I don't want to overwhelm the space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6520.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	9598Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6518.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	9599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6517.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	9600

Photos help - A LOT !

OK, if that were my house, here is what I would do (assuming you like leather pieces). I would buy (2) of these sofas in the Just In Time Program, the # 6042-3-T Utopia in the wonderful Hyde Park leather and place one against the main wall, and the other with its back to the support beam, so they are across from one another. Then a single chair from the same group, the # 6041-1-T and that goes at the far end facing the fireplace. No ottomans, just a small boot stool to use with the chair. I'd start with that, then see how it all lays out. Chaise is definitely out - that will be a mistake. A sectional will not work either. You have to stay small on your upholstery sizes.

One issue I see is that mantle above the fireplace needs to come out or at least cut off halfway. The TV will be mounted way too high otherwise on the brick. Not sure if you can fill in your brick easily but I would suggest you make a cardboard template the size of the flat panel TV you intend to use, then tape it up to the brick. Get a chair in the room, relax, and stare at the template for 15 to 20 minutes, pretend you are watching TV. I don't think you will like it, the angle will be too high. Then bring the template down to where its just 6" to 10" over the top edge of the fireplace (cut the cardboard template if need be) and tape it around each side of the mantle. Go back to our chair and look at it another 15 minutes. You will notice a difference.

That's my take on it from here.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.