Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Wall System

NYC_Lover Guest

Default Media Wall System

Hello, All,

At long last I have found a media wall system I like. Make that two. Now I need to make a choice between them. One is made by Riverside and the other by Brownstreet. I want to make sure that only hardwoods and veneers were used in the construction - no MDF or the like! I e-mailed both companies. Only Riverside responded and did not mentoion MDF, but did not tell me where their line is manufactured. I e-mailed back asking them to confirm that no MDF is used and let me know the country of origin.

Does anyone have any experience with either company? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1772Rive40148.png 
Views:	421 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6323Brow3028.png 
Views:	416 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	408  

Riverside and Brownstreet have both been around for many years. Both are considered mid-level in terms of quality. Both companies use solids and veneers (although there may be plywood or masonite back panels.) Riverside is a much larger company and far more highly automated. Brownstreet uses more hand craftsmanship. As a result their designs are generally simpler than Riverside's. Riverside manufactures most of its furniture in Ft. Smith, AR., although they do some importing. Brownstreet makes all of its furniture somewhere in New Hampshire.

An addition to the previous reply -- Riverside does use MDF beneath its veneers. Brownstreet probably does as well.

NYC_Lover Guest

Thanks for the quick reply, Jeff.

Disappointing news about the use of MDF.

Which company makes the better furniture?

Riverside will probably give you a more "finished" look. With Brownstreet you get more hand craftsmanship. It depends on which you value more. Also, with Riverside there is a chance that you are getting an imported product.

NYC_Lover Guest

The Riverside rep confirmed that they use engineered wood and that "The items in this collection are proudly made by some of China's finest furniture craftsmen."

Now THAT is funny.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

NYC_Lover Guest

Yeah, that quote cracked me up (as well as disappointing me). The guy was probably being sarcastic. I think.

NYC_Lover Guest

Technical question: is solid wood that bad to use under a veneer? If you're not doing a fancy look, like crotch mahogony or some intricate inlay work for which veneer is necessary, why not stick with solid wood? Is solid wood really that expensive?

I just don't buy into the "MDF is better under veneer because it won't split or crack" idea. What did furniture makers do before all this technology? I know! They made great furniture that lasted decades if not centuries. Somehow, I don't picture my grandkid at the Antiques Roadshow with my Brownstone crotch mahagony headboard being told what an incrdible piece it is and how he's set for life if it comes up at auction.

Solid wood has been used under veneer for centuries, and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I won't even make a Bird's Eye Maple piece for a customer as solid Bird's Eye Maple does some very nutty things such as twisting itself into a pretzel overnight. We always use it as inlays over a stable wood such as poplar.

Veneers can be done properly, or not. Like most things in life. If done correctly, they're fine - the only down side to a veneer is they can be very difficult to repair damages on them, or impossible and require a total re-veneer of the piece.

There is structurally nothing wrong with engineered wood. Its tough, durable, and is basically a very high-grade plywood. It can have some out-gassing of the glues which might bother some people, but it does not tend to be failure-prone. And, its less expensive than solid underlayment. Flexsteel furniture used almost all engineered plywood (MDF) in its entire line (including upholstery) and it remains solid and strong, which is its job. They are typically heavier pieces, however.

There is very little investment value in most furniture. Only classic, accurate reproductions or specific rare artisan pieces usually have "Antiques Roadshow" kind of value down the road.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.