Thread: Stuck on fabric blend for new TK sofa

Default Stuck on fabric blend for new TK sofa

I keep slowly making progress to my long overdue sofa, but I am currently struggling when it comes to fabrics. More specifically I am struggling on what blends to avoid or lean towards in the Portfolio line.

I live in Florida so I definitely don't want something that I am going to feel hot and sweaty after sitting on. This will be the main couch so will get a lot of use. We don't have kids, but do have cats. Also while we have been lucky not to spill anything on our current sofa there is always the chance since we tend to eat at the coffee table unless we have a large group.

I have read to avoid 100% polyester since it can make the piece warm. I have also read to avoid linen blends with regards to food and drink.

I think I may just be in analysis paralysis since I didn't go through this last time I bought a piece. I also just bought a floor sample so I didn't have the options I have now.

Default Re: Stuck on fabric blend for new TK sofa

Anything that is 100% man-made fabric is going to pill over time, it's unavoidable. I prefer blends for that reason and a can of Scotchguard can barrier against most any stain on any fabric. 100% Polyester I would never have in my own home, no thanks.

The best fabric I have ever had on any piece was an imported material from Belgium . It was Wool, Cotton and Linen. And it was expensive. But it's still going strong 30 years later. Try that with 100% poly! I personally think people pay far too much attention to soiling worries and neglect the hand and feel of the material. The way a fabric drapes on a piece and makes up, plus the way it feels and looks is (to me) far more important than getting up a stain from the onion dip. Crypton and Sunbrella fabrics are very "hot" right now because they are scrubbable Polyester, but they don't do it for me.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks. I am definitely avoiding 100% Polyester at this point. Of course this seems to eliminate a ton of the Portfolio line as a result.

I definitely agree feel and look is more important than stain resistance, and I am only looking to durability when it comes to daily use. Second to that for me is sweat factor. I don't want something that I feel makes me sweat every time I sit on the couch especially as we are rapidly approaching summer here.

This second part seems to be the toughest factor to decide off the samples especially the ones that are 6x6.

TK does have an interesting Bamboo fabric which is part of the portfolio line, but I can't seem to find much about Bamboo online as far as upholstery goes.

100% Polyester is a cheap-to-make fabric and that's why there is so much of it out there. Most consumers buy on price and worry about staining, and Polyester suits them for that. Myself, I would not have a 100% poly in my house for my own personal use. In my experience, very, very few consumers buy a fabric based on the "Hand" of the material, they buy based on color, pattern and price. The hand is so important, and always overlooked. Always get a piece of fabric and hold it up to the cheek of your face, and take a moment to relax, maybe close your eyes and get the tactile sensation of the material against your skin. Do that and those cheap fabrics won't pass the test very well, but that's a key element as to the overall feel of the piece when you actually use it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.