Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a high-quality sectional doable on a modest budget?

Default Re: Is a high-quality sectional doable on a modest budget?

I am not familiar with Lee Furniture construction build and therefore cannot comment on it. Their website does not address how they build it.

Yes, you can get a H&M Sundance sofa in a loveseat/corner/sofa layout. Here's photos of one I did for a customer in 2010 - it was perfect for their room layout, and impressive:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hlight=kipling
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

reprh Guest

In terms of styles available - are all of the options in that Taylor King link applicable to the Portfolio program? And for B-Y, is similar pricing available for the Grayson / 226 style, vs. the 172?

Meta question: if I continue to have a long series of "let me figure out what to order from you" questions, do you prefer them to be here on the forum, or via email?

Yes, the options on that .pdf are how you build the piece in the Portfolio series.

B-Y tends to be ballpark similar on all their sectionals, not a big price swing. However if you get into the three piece units with the curved corner, you will see a price bump upwards.

Questions here are great. Pricing I prefer to do on the Quotes section which you can use here on the forum.
    Duane Collie

reprh Guest

For the B-Y leathers, do you have an opinion on the lower-grade aniline options (if it matters, we would want something on the darker end, but no black)? I like the idea of a more natural finish. The kid factor makes me a little nervous, but it's not like I'm looking at a really pale leather that would show every little spot.

Oh, and a slightly related question: for H&M, moving out of the Just In Time program entails a very large price increase, right? So a pair of City Sofas in a different leather would be a swift climb in cost?

Whatever you do, buy from Duane and the Keeping Room. You won't find a better price and you'll have great furniture. You learned a lesson from buying Ikea furniture and the Crate and Barrell junk is the same quality. I purchased two Hancock and Moore sofas from the Keeping Room about 6 years ago and they still look new and are built like tanks. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Good luck.

If I were to go into a B-Y Aniline hide in a lower price grade, I'd probably select the # 9131 series (King Street, GR2). Colorways -86 and -88 are both attractive, and the hide has a decent hand to it.

My wife and I raised our kids on a Bradington Young sofa and loveseat in aniline leather, it was 1992 when I brought the sofa home. It suffered it share of sippy cup spills and upside-down pizza slices, but is none the worse for wear. Just three weeks ago I moved my son into his first apartment in Richmond (he's 23 years old now) and that sofa went with him - 25 years old and still fully serviceable. Leather has some sun fade on it, but is otherwise good because I have kept it clean and conditioned. It will easily go another 15 years, and if it does, then after 40 years of use and two generations, it owes us nothing.

On the 9840 City Sofa from H&M, its in Just in Time promotion at the most aggressive price point, and also in the Town and Country program in different leathers. Stay in those two programs and it remains price-friendly.
    Duane Collie

lkretz Guest

i'm looking at the taylor made design your sectional and have a question about fabric. While browsing through their fabrics I was drawn to the candid vapor, which is grade: 14 and a durability of 75,000. Would you consider this a good fabric despite it being listed as grade 1. I need it to withstand three young children! Also, does it make more sense to select the left arm corner sofa and pair it with the right arm sofa to eliminate a corner chair within the sectional? Can nail heads be added to track arm style? Thank you for all your input.

reprh Guest

Is there a significantly better leather to be had going up a grade? Relatedly, how much of a cost increase is there between grades?

I guess "better" is a little vague. What I would be sad about is a situation where spending 10% more would have gotten a leather that I would be significantly happier with. This would have kids being kids on/around it (and they can get a little rowdy), so super-luxe wouldn't necessarily be "better"; but something that feels good and has character is ideal.

H&M: it looks like between JIT & T&C the City Sofa comes in Kip and Cavalier. The Cavalier looks great, but is a finished leather; going to an aniline would shift over into the mainline, and entail a large price bump, right?

To be clear, we haven't ruled out finished leather, I'm just kind of building out the full matrix of options and trade-offs that my wife and I can agonize over. I like the construction and reputation of H&M. I like the form factor and aniline option available through B-Y's lower price point. I like the surprisingly-low Taylor King price, though I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely that we'll go that route with B-Y in leather being an option.

Candid Vapor : Sorry, its not in my rack of samples so I can't comment on it. Anything with a 75,000 rub rating is commercial duty, however at the same time when you get into those high ratings you have to make sure the hand of the fabric is still acceptable. Some of them can feel like sandpaper. A high rub rating is no good if the material is stiff and scratchy. You would want to get a sample of it and hold it up to your cheek to test softness, etc. As to your second question, are you asking if a 2-piece unit is preferable to a three piece? If so, the 2 piece is less costly, and better structurally for alignment, etc. THe 3- piece MUCH better if going into tight or difficult delivery areas of the home. Yes, you can add nails to a piece.

Leather Grades: are not quality grades, they are pricing grades. Read this thread on hides - its pretty good and I spent a long time typing it all out:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ecting-leather

In H&M, its appx 15% every time you step up a grade from 1 to 3, and 20% to 4 and 5. Cavalier is semi-aniline. B-Y is on average, about 20% less in price than H&M (mainline vs mainline), and B-Y also takes 20% out of the build. That's why the Just In Time pieces are so terrific. You get H&M at B-Y prices in that promo.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-31-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Duane Collie

reprh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

Leather Grades: are not quality grades, they are pricing grades. Read this thread on hides - its pretty good and I spend a long time typing it all out:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ecting-leather

In H&M, its appx 15% every time you step up a grade from 1 to 3, and 20% to 4 and 5. Cavalier is semi-aniline. B-Y is on average, about 20% less in price than H&M (mainline vs mainline), and B-Y also takes 20% out of the build. That's why the Just In Time pieces are so terrific. You get H&M at B-Y prices in that promo.
    Right, I had read that before, I was more asking about specifics: relative to the 9131 GR2, is there a GR3 that is significantly better in your opinion?

In terms of H&M vs. B-Y, I feel like my trade-off is form factor and a more-natural leather, vs. build quality and reputation. I'd love to have all of them together, but not, like, $8000+ worth of loving to have all of them together.

I'll probably be working up a quote request here tonight.