Thread: Kent Coffey "Foreteller"

danh01 Guest

Default Kent Coffey "Foreteller"

I've had this dresser since 1990. I was fresh out of the military and in a new apartment and no furniture. Then I found this dresser. I really liked the look of it and liked the price even better. I think I paid $50 for it. At the time it was showing it's age and had scratches and some minor surface damage. Nothing too severe. So out came the sanding paper and Poly High Gloss and I refinished it and it turned out okay, not an award winner but it got the job done. And I've enjoyed it ever since. I might add that at the time I had no idea about the maker Kent Coffey or that it was called a Foreteller and frankly I really didn't care. But now it's nearly 27 years later and my situation has changed and I'd like to sell it and wanted to get a professional's opinion. Now, I know some about Kent Coffey and different finishes and such and while I know it won't have a Chipendale's value it's worth more than I paid for it. And although I've taken care of it the finish "poly" is starting to chip and yellow and is blotchy in areas. So I was wondering if you knew of something I could use to remove the poly without getting the jackhammer and chisels out. One saving grace from way back when is that I didn't use any stain only the clear poly. I plan on going back with a wipe on poly with a satin finish unless you have a better suggestion. I'll start with these 3 photos. I'll have to take some more that show the chips. Then I was wanting to get an estimate as to what you think it's value could be. I've seen all kinds of crazy numbers out there so I've no idea what would be a good starting point on price other than what a potential buyer will offer. Thanks in advance.......DanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	dre1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	9686
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170327_164423274.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	9685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maple1.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	9682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170327_164442153.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	9683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170327_164502372.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	9684  
    Last edited by danh01; 04-01-2017 at 04:58 AM. Reason: add photos

danh01 Guest

Default Re: Kent Coffey "Foreteller"

Here is some of the damage. Most is only in the poly. So what I'm asking is there some type of poly remover I could use instead of sand paper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dre4.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	9689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dre3.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	9688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dre2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	9687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dre5.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	9690  

Generally when you do a "harry homeowner" re-finishing of a piece, you destroy any and all collectible value of it. Restoration requires an expert and can be into the thousands of dollars.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

danh01 Guest

Well I ruined the Collectible value on it a long time ago when I put that poly on it. But at the time I did the best I could with what resources I had at the time and the thought of reselling it wasn't on my radar. However, times have changed and my situation has changed. While I'll never be able to get it back to a collectible value I can make it worth a few hundred. Spending thousands of dollars for a restoration of a piece that at most is worth $1500 to $1600 is not something that I'm willing to do. Which is why I asked if there was a Polyurethane remover that someone like yourself might use that doesn't involve a coarse grade of sandpaper after you've used it. The damage shown in the pictures is all in that thick layer of poly. I know that I can go to just about any store and get any one of a number of stripper products and press my luck. I was just trying to pick your brain to see if there was a product that's a step above all of the rest. If you can recommend one I would appreciate it. If you can't I understand and will say thanks anyway....Dan