Thread: Replacing a Sectional

Kathryn7 Guest

Default Replacing a Sectional

Hi, I have been searching for a sofa to replace a flex steel sectional. Although I found I did not really like a sectional (too limiting for our particular room layout), but found the flex steel piece ok, some finishing issues and only used it for 3 yrs so I can't speak to its durability. I went to two local, non chain, retailers, one pushing craftmaster and Kincaid, the other temple, Huntington and highland house. At home, I went on line trying to find some rating of manufacturers rated by quality and found nothing too helpful. That is until I stumbled on your site. I know H&M is a quality piece of furniture but sort of counted them out as I was initially thinking of fabric rather than leather, although nothing is set in stone. My budget is about is about 3,000 more or less, but I am willing to pay up a bit for a quality piece, up to about 4000. i would like to buy American made. I am also in the market for a recliner. I would be very grateful to have the benefit of your knowledge and experience. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by Kathryn7; 03-31-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Kathryn7 Guest

Default Re: Replacing a Sectional

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn7 View Post
    Hi, I have been searching for a sofa to replace a flex steel sectional. Although I found I did not really like a sectional (too limiting for our particular room layout), but found the flex steel piece ok, some finishing issues and only used it for 3 yrs so I can't speak to its durability. I went to two local, non chain, retailers, one pushing craftmaster and Kincaid, the other temple, Huntington and highland house. At home, I went on line trying to find some rating of manufacturers rated by quality and found nothing too helpful. That is until I stumbled on your site. I know H&M is a quality piece of furniture but sort of counted them out as I was initially thinking of fabric rather than leather, although nothing is set in stone. My budget is about is about 3,000 more or less, but I am willing to pay up a bit for a quality piece, up to about 4000. i would like to buy American made. I am also in the market for a recliner. I would be very grateful to have the benefit of your knowledge and experience. Thanks so much.
    I was a bit vague. I very much like the H&M Crosby sofa. Is that roughly in range? Do you recommend their in fabric as well? Can you compare above mentioned companies to your Taylor King line in terms of quality and

Default Re: Replacing a Sectional

One of the most frequent questions here is "What are the qualities of various brands and how do they compare?" And that's a question I cannot answer. There are hundreds of upholstery makers in the country. It would be a full-time job (like Consumers Reports) to know the details of the builds on all of them. There is no place on line that rates all the various brands - who could afford to offer that service? I know it would probably take me two years working full time every day on comparisons and data base it all, and who is going to pay for that kind of research? So anything you find on the internet is mostly going to be a particular dealer's experience with a product line, and word of mouth from consumers such as yourself. Now, if you want to track down a cutaway of a vendor / maker and post it here in a photo, that's a tool I can work with the see the build. Not that many suppliers do cutaways however, and I imagine there are quite a few that don't really want you to see how it's made.

Of the brands I carry in my store, in fabric, you can definitely get Hancock and Moore, Century, and Taylor King in the $ 3K to $ 4K price range, depending on complexity of the piece and cover used.

As to recliners, the key is to buy one that uses either a Leggett and Platt mechanism, or Ultramech. Those are the best mechanisms in the market. Every brand I carry in my store in motion will use one of those two as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.