Thread: Common Questions (a.k.a. FAQ's)

Threaded View

Default Common Questions (a.k.a. FAQ's)

Some of the most common questions and concerns that come up I am going to address here, as they are the ones that are frequently asked:

1. How is the quality of XYZ brand, or how does it compare to ABC brand ?

In most cases, I don't know - nor do most regular members here. There are thousands of furniture makers, who can possibly be informed on the build structure of each of these companies? it would be a Herculean task to database and examine them all, and is outside the scope of this forum. The best we can do for you is to look at cut-away photos of the build and advise from there - and that is up to you to source them and post here if asking a question.

2. "How is the comfort of __________."

Who can recall the comfort level of a piece unless you just sat in it? It's virtually impossible to do - and add to that the subjectiveness of the individual. In my experience, all better made product is generally comfortable, it's the cheap stuff that sits poorly. Of course, some pieces may be better at sitting than others, and others better for lying down and taking a nap. I think it's pretty safe to say in the vast majority of cases, let style guide you and the comfort will be there. If you prefer a firmer sit, be sure to mention that as almost all upholstery companies have a firm seating option at no additional charge.

3. What is the most durable leather or upholstery?

Here the answer is "How well are you going to take care of it, and what's your lifestyle?" You use of the piece and the maintenance on it is more likely to determine life of the cover vs the initial selection of materials. Some people are much harder on their furniture than others. Most covers (both leather and fabric) fail due to lack of care and cleaning, and UV exposure (direct sunlight) more than any other factor. For fabric, I suggest you always use Scotchguard, that you apply yourself.

4. I have a pet, what is the best cover to use?

I'm a dog lover myself, but furniture is not made for pets to be on and just like people, pets come in all shapes and sizes, with different personalities and traits. In general, the most damage I see on furniture from pets is puppies in the chewing stage, other than that the don't seem to bother it much.

5. Do you Discount?

Sure, every dealer does. MSRP is a joke, and done to appease high-end decorators. Discounts on the order of 40% to 50% off MSRP are commonplace.

6. My photos that I post are sideways and I don't know how to fix them?

Here's a tip for your iPhone pictures. To prevent them from displaying sideways - ALWAYS - edit them in your phone. After you take a photo, go to the EDIT function and make a slight crop of the photo if nothing else. Once you do that and save it, the photo will always display correctly. Post or send them without editing and they will usually be sideways, its a fluke in the Apple software.
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-10-2018 at 01:33 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.