Thread: Three different arm styles too much?

Default Three different arm styles too much?

We are looking to purchase four pieces for our living room: sofa, recliner, chair and ottoman. Husband is partial to the BY Yorba sofa (508-95), which is comfortable for both of us, and the BY Roswell recliner (3322) which is comfortable for him. There is a matching Yorba recliner, but he prefers the Roswell because it has a bustle back. I'm okay with these two pieces being different, but I still need to select another chair and I'm not sure a third style is the way to go.

There is a BY Yorba stationary chair (508-25) and ottoman (508-OT) that would match the sofa and be fine, but I noticed the Jaxon Tub swivel chair (321-25sw) on the BY website that might be a more useful/versatile choice for our living room (I would still pair it with the Yorba ottoman). I don't want the Yorba swivel/glider/recliner because will be too tall to sit in front of the window (Jackson swivel is approximately 34.5" tall versus Yorba swivel/recliner at 41" tall).

I'm wondering if the three different style arms on the two chairs and the sofa will be too much competition with each other? The backs of the Yorba sofa and the Jaxon swivel are similar, but the arm height is different and the arm style is different. They would be directly across from each other. The taller Roswell recliner would sit on the end between them and the arm on that is again different from either of the other two pieces. All of the pieces would be in the same leather. Pictures of the room are attached with existing furniture in different positions - please excuse the mess as we are in the middle of remodeling (new paint and flooring coming soon). The room is approx. 13.5' wide and 18 feet long (the wall opposite the fireplace is further away than that, but is essentially a "hallway" for traffic to other parts of the house - so 18 feet of length for furniture placement). If a different layout would be better, I am open to suggestions.

https://www.bradington-young.com/bra...formation.aspx

Last edited by Raina; 04-14-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add additional info

Default Re: Three different arm styles too much?

Most of the time, if your pieces are similar in form factor and dimensionally (scale) similar to one another, you will be fine mixing minor variations in arm and detail design. The trick is to not have too much variance. You don't want to pair a small sofa with a huge chair, or something with carved exposed wood together with a contemporary piece. Nor a low back chair next to a high back one, that sort of thing. If you feel the design of one piece is moving too far away from another, then consider getting that piece in a different color that contrasts, rather than matches. Rooms like yours are not the easiest to arrange, so you have limited layout choices in the furniture placement.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you! None of the mishmash of pieces currently in the room will be staying, except for the tv and possibly the brass lamp, so we will be working with a fairly clean slate. The carved chest the tv is currently sitting on (not my taste, but received as a wedding gift many years ago so has some sentimental value) will move to the guest bedroom and everything else will go to charity or Got Junk.
    Last edited by Raina; 04-16-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Some design thoughts on your redecorating....use what you like (advice is free!)

* TV stand may have been a wedding present, but use it somewhere else, get it out of the room, that's so two decades ago....mount the TV over the fireplace, you have a low firebox so it will work well there.

* Paint is going to help you in that room. All the dark wood doors and wood trim need to go to white, then a soft, light grey on the walls would be my first choice.

* I see your floor is ripped up, so not knowing which way you are going there but I would install in order of preference: 1) Grayish/Black hardwoods, to play off your stone fireplace. 2) Slate or Stone flooring 3) Carpet, but keep it light. No brown floors.

Once you do that, the room will come together easily for furniture. Good luck.
    Duane Collie

TV is definitely getting a new stand. I've broached hanging it above the fireplace before, but husband is not on board with that idea. Thanks for the other ideas!

See if you can convince him, a TV stand in the corner really is passe'.
    Duane Collie

Ah, well, I guess truth be told hubby & I are country bumpkins anyway, so now we'll be passe' country bumpkins, lol!

Edited to add: I know the existing wall color is awful - it was intended to be a dove gray, but the light in this room makes it look a weird shade of lavender. The new color chosen for the walls is Behr's Sawgrass, which I would describe as a lighter sage green with a grayish undertone depending how light hits it (already have some up and it looks 100x better). I like the suggestion to paint all of the brown trim and doors white. The painter has mentioned the same thing.

While I agree with you that a grayish/black hardwood would really play off the fireplace, I can't bear the thought of gray wood floors in every room - it just seems depressing - and we were told it would be a huge design faux pas to use different species/colors of wood in different rooms. So, we've chosen Brazilian cherry for everything (living room, hallway and bedrooms). I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but we like the rich reddish tone.

As I'm sitting here looking around the room, I'm thinking the brass fireplace surround needs to go too...
    Last edited by Raina; 04-17-2017 at 03:26 PM.