Thread: 2 sofas, 2 recliners - please help

chrisicf Guest

Default 2 sofas, 2 recliners - please help

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this post - any advice would be sincerely appreciated. Furniture shopping recently has been quite overwhelming for me and my wife. Nearly 2 years ago, me, my wife, our daughter (now 7), and our son (now 6) moved from 1600 ft2 townhome to 2800 ft2 house + finished basement in metro Atlanta. It's awesome! but I'm tired of spending! and it's (unfortunately) high time we get new living room furniture... and although we want to furnish it properly, we have been sticker-shocked everywhere we go... even some of the "cheaper" places where we thought we could find a reasonable compromise in price/value.

Like everyone, we want to strike a balance between quality/style/affordability for our situation. We recently went to a Havertys where they said Bradington-Young made the recliner that I liked and was curious if anyone knew B-Y to private label for Havertys because I'm a bit leery; also I wanted to know if the sofas my wife and I liked were closer to heirloom or disposable along the quality spectrum. The rep said the "Modern Profiles" Sofa was made by Paladin (in NC). Is that true? Are they good? Is this a good deal?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa4 2099.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	9788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recliner 2199.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	9787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa4 2099.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	9788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recliner 2199.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	9787: $3939.98 for two sofas, each 4 seat cushion 108W x 37H x 38D; and $4139.98 for two "Hampton Recliner, Huntington Collis". Is 8K what I need to spend to get 2 sofas and 2 recliners? We may choose to go with the smaller size sofa (83") of this make/model but it's still $1799/ea. What's the move here? Attached are photos.

Default Re: 2 sofas, 2 recliners - please help

If you want Bradington Young, which is one of the better compromises on price vs quality, I suggest just buying Bradington Young then, instead of a maybe-BY thing that is Haverty's branded with who knows what corners cut and the price marked up to pay for their fancy prime location store. I suggest for what it sounds like you want go with BY or Taylor King and pick out what you like on their sites and then ask Duane for a quote in the quotes forum. Or if you need it fast, give him a call, he might have some stuff in stock but maybe not a full four piece matching set.

Good luck in your search!

Anything done as a private label by a manufacturer for a store is kept extremely quiet and spoke of in hushed tones. It is not common knowledge and few people know about it. I cannot tell you the validity of the claim by the Haverty's salesman - there's a lot of misinformation out there. What you have to do is your homework, and you do that by looking around the forum here and learning. For example, what are the mechanisms used in the recliners? That's the primary failure point of any recliner and if you browse the forum , you will see that there are many posts here about Leggett and Platt and Ultra Mech mechanisms (which are what you want) and the way to identify them. Learn what makes a piece good by construction and content (again, it's all here on the forum if you search) and you have the tools to judge the build level and quality when in the store. No one can know all the mechanics of what makes a quality brand - there are too many makers out there. However once you learn what makes a good piece, then it's relatively easy to pick out a good one from a mediocre brand in any store you walk into.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

chrisicf Guest

Thank you Danw99 and drcollie for your prompt and thoughtful responses. I have my work cut out for me.

chrisicf, my experience is that buying furniture from Duane is a most effective way of avoiding a poorly built piece of furniture that you will later regret, additionally, I have seldom found better pricing.

chrisicf Guest

Thank you, shawnsisco. My gut-instinct tells me you're right. We've backpedaled a bit to confirm our piece selections are best for the room's intended usage. I started a thread in Decorating and Layout section of the forum hoping to receive thoughtful suggestions. An in-house designer from Bassett came out yesterday and should be providing feedback sometime Monday. We plan to visit another local store tomorrow, one which carries Taylor-King. I still like the recliners above and believe them to be Bradington Young Aaron 3721 models but with a different leg style (that I see on the B-Y website shown on the Aaron ottoman and sofa. I plan on pulling the trigger quickly.

B-Y does not allow leg swapping. They will not do any custom work whatsoever.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

chrisicf Guest

Interesting and good to know. Thank you!