Thread: Pieces and Layout - Suggestions Welcomed

chrisicf Guest

Default Pieces and Layout - Suggestions Welcomed

We are looking for new pieces for a new seating configuration for our main living area… something to accommodate more people than at present; that’s both comfortable for lounging on family movie night and yet also still appropriate for entertaining (dinner parties). The space is 16'2" wide x 17'8" deep from the fireplace mantle to the nearest breakfast table dining chair. Stylistically, we do not care for the chunky furniture in the pic, and especially not the floral fabric. We like simpler clean lines; not heavy, ornate. Our idea was to furnish the area with two fabric sofas and two leather recliners. (I have another thread “two sofas, two recliners” where I’ve uploaded designs we like. Attn: Duane in T-K, my wife likes the London and Wilcox sofas as well.)

And we know we’ll have to contend with finding a coffee table, end tables, etc., but for now we’re focusing on the main items.

The best layout we’ve imagined thus far would have two 4 seat sofas (108 W x 37 H x 38 D). One along each of the long walls. The windows wall would have the sofa 9” away from the windows to allow clearance for floor vents. To have a sofa against windows may be a faux pas, but we’re okay with it. We’re more concerned about offering more, comfortable seating, while retaining the open flow of the room as much as possible. So here’s the kicker… two 35” wide leather recliners which would be centered, facing the tv/fireplace, and about 5 inches apart. The “tv wall” is exactly 75” wide so I liked the symmetry with this. With those measurements, we’d have 25.5” space between each sofa and recliner, and ~36” from the recliner to the nearest breakfast table dining chair.

My wife likes this idea best among the ones we’ve come up with so far. We were hoping feedback from the forum would encourage us to move forward in looking for these pieces, or to open our eyes to other ideas. Thank you in advance to all for your opinions and suggestions.

chrisicf Guest

Default Re: Pieces and Layout - Suggestions Welcomed

I have not been able to upload images. Will try again later.

We have moved to a new server today and there are problems with photos right now. We will try to resolve as quickly as we can with Go Daddy (host).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

chrisicf Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04202017 room 1a.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	9797

Name:	04202017 room1b.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	9798

Name:	04202017 room 1 opp kitchen.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	9799

I think a pair of 4-seat sofas is too ambitious in that space, and with a pair of recliners on the end you will wind up looking like a doctor's office waiting room, and you'll have quite an obstacle course to run. 17' 8" from mantle to breakfast chair means you have a working area of closer to 14' and that would tell me a pair of three seat sofas no longer than 90" would be best. I don't think you have the width for a pair of recliners at the end, and would suggest a dual power loveseat, which will tighten the space up and still give you a great spot to see the TV. One with a form factor such as this, and battery powered so no cords across the floor. http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...eather-9049-91
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

chrisicf Guest

Thank you, drcollie. You and my wife agree on the sofas, so that settles that... which is big. She likes the practicality of the powered love seat but not so much the look (generally speaking), although the example you linked to is "not bad". We're fortunate enough that the cords really aren't an issue as we already have a brass capped outlet in the floor (it's just barely covered by the closer end of the rug). We've done some shopping, still a tad more to do, slowed down with two little ones in tow...