Thread: Help with eclectic mix two sofas and two chairs

gkholdridge Guest

Default Help with eclectic mix two sofas and two chairs

Almost ready to place order with DC but thought I would post here in case it might prove useful for another furniture addict!

Moving and have one large great room (no formal parlor) two story high ceiling with huge windows overlooking pool. Room size 20' x 21' with a very large cast stone fireplace mantel jutting into the middle of the room 100" wide x 42" deep. Therefore actual room width becomes closer to 16' 6".

Hubby is very traditional and we love our H&M city sofas and love seats that we currently own in chenille (going to game room) and in leather at our lake house.

We are using leather in our media room and other rooms so this great room will be chenille fabrics carrying the color scheme of Aqua with tan and chocolate brown.

For this new TX home I love the Parisian sofa (1279 or 1278 or 6218) in a beautiful chenille tweed fabric, Marne, color aqua.
    My husband likes the Marin Chair which will be in a green/aqua chenille fabric, Waterford, color aqua.. (His favorite is the Lennon Chair if it came with a 20"wide seat instead of 18"inside).

Question is I would like to mix transitional pieces in the room by adding another sofa and chair. Which of the following pieces do you feel work best to with the Parisian Sofa and Marne Chair and ottoman to create an artistic and inviting look

Additional sofa options (will be in Marne chenille)
    4250 Ritz sofa
    6024 Glenwood Sofa (surprised how comfortable this was to sit in)
    5638 Arrington Sofa

Additional chair options ( covered in fabric Hambleton color aqua
    5651 Mood chair (my concern is this is a higher chair, however, it is so very stylish and I would use contrasting leather/nubuck in aquaon the otp of the arm)
    4249 Ritz chair with ottoman
    5637 Arrington chair& ottoman

Am also considering the 6090 Cole cocktail ottoman in front of the fireplace. In leather document wave or French Caress OR in Taylor King stripe Adjourn, color tranquile which accents Marne exquisitely.

Attachment 9800Attachment 9801Attachment 9802Attachment 9803
    Fabric swatches on monitor look terrible, actual fabric is beautiful.

Open to suggestion,
    Grace HoldridgeAttachment 9804
    Last edited by gkholdridge; 04-24-2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: add photo

Default Re: Help with eclectic mix two sofas and two chairs

That's a pretty grand room! First question I have is are all the colors (and rug) staying as in the photo? I assume these are from the prior owner. Any changes to the paint, floor refinishing, or the dark-stained bookcases? If the rug comes up, will you need to refinish the floors? That rug most likely will have an outline from sun fade. The room color palate will greatly influence the colorways for the furniture.

Second question: Are the windows UV coated or low emission glass? Sun will come pouring in there and UV damage will be a real concern.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

gkholdridge Guest

Thank you Duane.
    All furniture is previous owner. Starting with a clean slate. Having wood floors resanded, stained a tad lighter and scraped with the grain so the look will not be as heavy and dark as you currently see.
    Removed massive overmantel. Still have 42" deep cast stone mantel and a simplified overmantel. No TV above fireplace as a large impressionist style painting in blues, green and pinks will go there. TV will be on a super extending articulating mount in the bookcase to the right at eye level. Bookcases are being painted and glazed an antique cream. Walls will be Sherwin Williams color wool skein - nice nuetral not too pinky beige nor grey.

Kitchen is adjacent this room and kitchen island is accented as French Provencal blue/grey glazed

Hubby likes the Parisian sofa and an arm chair and ottoman with rounded arms. He had a Century Buffalo Chair and Ottoman that fit him well. 37"H x 38"W x 40" D with inside width 22" and 21" deep. Marin Chair seems to fit the bill for him. The Lennon looks most like his old Century chair but it is so narrow at 18" w seat. If they could make it 20" wide in the seat we would buy it!!! (although that would make it custom) Looked at the Reserve chair too but it seems a bit high at Seat height 21" and Ottoman at 19.5" Is that becuase of the casters?

Think Id like a transitional sofa in the same fabric, Marne and one special chair as well. I could be convince to have another Parisian sofa if you think it would not overwhelm the room and then just have one dramatic special chair.

Any design ideas welcome. Architectural Digest often has eclectic collections within one room. Just want it too look good and not like a flea market!!

Windows are low e and face due north. There is no direct sunlight that enters the room. Indirect is bright.

Thank you
    Grace

That's such a marvelous room - just spectacular. I was hoping you would say the bookcases were going to be painted, that's key to changing the look of the room. I have no formal decorator training, but I've been in thousands of high end homes in the past 32 years and have developed an eye for things that (some people) seem to like. As soon as I saw your room I had my anchor upholstery piece pop right into my head. Because of the high vault of the ceilings and especially due to the arched tops of the windows, I have to say I'd have to go for something sweeping and dramatic to work with the form factor of the room (and remember, free advice is worth what you pay for it..lol).

I'd like to see one Chesterfield in the room in a lighter, contemporary leather, then your other pieces in the fabrics. Either the Hancock and Moore Envelop (large) or Hennesey (mid-size) and key that as the center upholstery piece. Your room is large enough and bold enough to carry either one, and it's the hot decorator look right now and for the near future. The Hennessy in particular is one of the best looking sofas I have ever come across when you see it in person, and the Envelop sits like a dream.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4845_Envelop_SO_PR.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	9805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6038-3TL_Henessey_SO1_HR.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	9806

At the risk of alienating your husband, the Marin chair is a bit smallish, old school and a bit boring. Could we bring him along to something like this - the H&M Point Tufted Back Chair?

Name:	6072-1_Point_SO1_PR.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	9807

or the fun and funky Expedition Chair:

Name:	5842-1_Expedition_SO1_PR.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	9808

Then I think the 1278 Parisian would look great as the second sofa, in conjunction with one of the two Chesterfields. I like the # 1278 model the best, with the single cushion. It's much more unique in appearance with that feature vs the e-cushion model.

I like the fabrics except not feeling the last one with the stripe, but it all depends on how the other pieces are trimmed out.

Do you have any other photos of the room from the other angles? Floor plan schematic? I would have a really good time outfitting that room, so much you can do to create a look in it.

Haven't seen the kitchen, but assume you have a counter with stools? If so, the right barstools go a long ways to making the counter area look good and being functional as well.
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-26-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    Duane Collie

gkholdridge Guest

Duane
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I love the dramatic look of the Hennessy but had not really planned on using leather. I'll have to look again and with the packing crew coming Tuesday I was not prepared to search for more coverings. Not sure hubby will like all those tufts and I know he will remind my of his moms advise years ago "Never buy a tufted peice of upholstery, you will be cleaning navel lint the rest of your life"! Sigh That is shy I thought I could get away with the Ritz as it has less tufting.

Yes, I know the Marin Chair is plain, and boring. Not really smaller than the point tufted chair but that is what my darling husband likes and after 38 years I think I've learned a thing or two....LOL
    He simply likes the traditional rolled arms and thinks other arms look too thin. I disagree and think that the expedition chair likely has at least as large an arm surface. Not sure the Expedition chair will look as dramatic without the leather contrast.

You have given me a lot to think about and now I'm very tired. I really wanted to get the Parisian ordered so at least we would have a place to sit.

Yes, I do need bar stools, counter height for the kitchen. I like the idea of leather seats too. That island thought is painted so I have to be careful not to have too much aqua.

Also have a media room that I would like some motioning seating and that will be in leather. That is why I was really thinking fabrics only in the great room....

Take care
    Grace
    having trouble adding images tonight...must be too tired

Just tossing ideas back and forth, let it all jell a little - especially with a move - it's pretty hard to make good decisions when your whole house is in upheaval and you are in a new environment. Just let the alternative thoughts play in the back of your mind, they will sort out over time one way or another.

I know he will remind my of his mom's advice years ago "Never buy a tufted piece of upholstery, you will be cleaning navel lint the rest of your life"!

That was back in the day of no central air and heat, when homes were MUCH dustier inside, it's largely a non-issue today, for anyone who changes their air filters regularly and does average housekeeping. I have tufted pieces all over my home, including ottomans with tufted tops and it's not an issue.

If you were to use the Expedition Chair, I'd keep the panel and do it in an alternate cover if you go fabric on the chair, such as doing it in the same cover as the sofa for a tie-in. You can have a lot of fun with small accents and create a custom look to match your custom home.

I too, have a painted island in my home, with leather H&M Steele Farm counter stools. These are probably my favorite pieces in the house, I actually do most my reading at the counter and most of small repairs fixing things while sitting in them. Now that I look at this photo I just took, I really would like to pull off the wainscoting I installed 15 years ago and replace it with thin-set brick. (ssshhh! if my wife gets wind of that, I will have to do it).

Name:	FullSizeRender (88).jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	9809

Good luck in getting everything sorted!
    Duane Collie

gkholdridge Guest

Like those bar stools and I know my husband will too. Our island is regular counter height not bar height. The backs look as if they almost tuck under the counter top. Saw a lot of homes with rock veneer and brick inside the kitchen in Texas.

Attachment 9810
    Attachment 9811

I will think about it but meanwhile I think I should order something or we will be sitting on the floor.

Can you recommend your favorite seating for the media room? I like recliners although my husband prefers a chair and ottoman. I actually thought it would be comfortable to put a sectional with chaise on both ends to stretch out on. This i would do in leather. Oh, I should take advantage of your new promotion. The media room carpet is a deep steel grey leaning towards a bluishgrey. I would love to do navy in there or a dark charcoal but the HM promotion limits colors per model. I have to look again at your little posts.

Did I post this thread correctly? Should it be in a more general thread to get greater exposure?
    Surely there are some interior designers who have suggestions too?

Thank you
    Grace

Most bar stools come in 24" and 30" seat height, and you want about a 11" to 12" drop from the countertop to the seat.

Best media room unit? That's pretty easy, the H&M Austin High Back Tilt Chair and Ottoman (# 2038NB and # 8131NB) are very hard to beat. They do have a Navy blue in that unit in the Town and Country Promotion. If you prefer a recliner, the Austin also comes as a recliner in the same leathers - be sure to get a motorized one (either plug-in or battery) as the wall hugger mechanism can be challenging to close up in the manual variants. The blue leather ones are in this promotion:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...tional-Program
    Duane Collie