Thread: What will my Hancock and Moore look like after it's been used? Steele Farm Barstool

Default What will my Hancock and Moore look like after it's been used? Steele Farm Barstool

One of the concerns I hear often is "How long will Hancock and Moore hold up?". And I will say "This is the best made furniture in the industry". Now, I can say that and it comes off as a sales pitch, after all - I do sell it. However, here's an opportunity to SHOW YOU in photos, and you can see for yourself.

I bought a pair of Hancock and Moore Steel Farm Barstools in December 2011 for my own home, to go at the kitchen counter. You can see my post nearly 5 1/2 years ago when I pulled them out of the carton for photos:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ht=steele+farm

My son recently moved out on his own and like most parents, my wife and I offered to help him with some furnishing for his new apartment in Richmond, VA. He's 23, doesn't take real good care of things, so I was not going to get him anything very pricey. As I have a Hooker dealership, I told him to shop there (it's all imported, and inexpensive). Part of the deal was two barstools for his counter and Hooker has a lot of bar stools. Well, he couldn't find any he liked, and he said "Dad, I'd really like to have the ones in our house, the Hancock and Moore's - you've taught me about good furniture. I did all my homework in High School in those, and eat breakfast in them every day, I really like them".

I was not thrilled with this, because the H&M Steele Farm's are my favorites and I used them every day as well! Nevertheless, you don't deny your kids too much, so I told him I won't buy him new ones, but he could have the ones from the house and then we would replace ours with a new set. My wife was excited, because now she could pick out what she wanted for a new pair. After a couple of days she said "I like what we have, can you just re-order new ones?" Yes, I can.

They arrived today and I took them home. What a perfect time to do a photo essay on old vs new of the exact same piece. The new unit is in the middle on all these photos, and the 5 1/2 year old ones flank it. You will see a little puddling on the backrest, and wear through the antique blacked brass to shiny brass on the old ones - where we rubbed it off with our feet in use. The is no frame wiggle on the old ones, they are as stout as the new ones. Seat cushions have not pancaked on the old ones, even through I am 260 lb and sit on the one on the left in the photos - every day. My wife who is 118 lb sits on the one on the right and the seat looks new. They have held up beyond my expectations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stool1.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	9819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stool2.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	9820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stool3.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	9821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stool4.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	9822

I do clean and condition the leather every 6 months, and that's key to high use pieces such as these. Leather is an Italian Pull Up hide that is burnished (Cameo Brown Burnished, GR 3), and you can see it looks terrific, in spite of being in the kitchen and having everything you can imagine spilled on it, the patina is excellent and it builds character unlike finished leathers. Yes, these cost more - but you get what you pay for. These are daily use, every day we are in the house, and a proven performer. I expect a reasonable lifespan of 30 years out of a pair of these, and there's no reason they won't go that long if not abused.
    Last edited by drcollie; 05-05-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: What will my Hancock and Moore look like after it's been used? Steele Farm Bars

Nice comparison! Besides the bit of stretching the leather still looks great. The brass footrest is the biggest change, why do they even bother blackening it?

One this type of style is it possible to re-cushion the seat if it ever comes to that?

Default Re: What will my Hancock and Moore look like after it's been used? Steele Farm Bars

To re-core the seat, I would want to send it back to H&M, not use a local upholstery company. What I would do is separate the stool at the swivel, then box up the top part of the stool and return it to them at Hickory NC. Note that you would need a dealer to process the return on your behalf.

H&M is one of the few companies out there that will re-work their older pieces for a customer, and they do so reasonably. The back and forth shipping is usually the largest expense.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane,

How do you all find the "triangle" part of the jut out and hitting legs with the Steele swiveled left and right? Any chance for some pictures and shared experiences?

Thanks!

Sam

It’s pretty much a non-issue because your legs extend out much further when sitting in the stool, and that’s the only time you would swivel in one.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-28-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Duane Collie

An addendum to this story, the original 2011 stools stayed with my son until February of 2020 when he moved into a new place and could not use them. They came back to my house, and were sold to a forum member in Georgia where they are now on their third owner and going strong.
    Duane Collie

Those are some incredibly gorgeous barstools. I'm learning so much on this wonderful forum.

They do come at a cost, however. Current pricing on H&M barstools is averaging close to $2k each on models like the Steele Farm. They will likely never have to be replaced however, they are very solid and very comfortable.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    They do come at a cost, however. Current pricing on H&M barstools is averaging close to $2k each on models like the Steele Farm. They will likely never have to be replaced however, they are very solid and very comfortable.
    Wow, this a bit steep, but if you have the money I'm sure that the length of time you will have them and not have to replace them is worth it in the long run.