Thread: H&M: Your Way : Standard or Deep?

Default Re: H&M: Your Way : Standard or Deep?

I started a new thread for you...

You have the classic dilemma which is you would be much more comfortable in the standard depth, and your husband in the deep depth. Once size does not fit all! As to your kids, that won't matter because 1) They aren't paying for it and 2) They tend to drape themselves over furniture rather than sit in it. So, the question becomes who is going to use these sofas the most? Many times the man of the house prefers a recliner, and there are several that will fit him, and the ladies take the sofa. If there is no recliner in the picture, just two sofas, then my thought would be get one in standard depth, the other in the deeper depth. Unless you just have to have precise symmetry, they will flow well together and the difference in depth on the one barely noticeable, and you will both be comfortable that way. I am 5" 11" and I personally would not a Deep depth unit. At 5' 5" you will always be searching for pillow to put behind you on a deeper depth. I have no issues on deeper depth units visually, as lone as they don't cram the space in the room. Without seeing a layout, I'm thinking a pair of 43" sofas facing one another with a coffee table in the middle might be tight, I like 24" for all walkspaces, 17" is narrow.

The Coffee Table is 48" in length, but what is the width of it? If you need more space, find something more narrow. To really be able to give some decent design layout advice, photos and a layout would be good to have.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bkbaer Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3707 b.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	9847

Ok, here is a photo of my family room with the old furniture (which doesn’t fill up the room quite enough, but we like the layout.) The kitchen flows into the family room, and with the kitchen table, this layout works well.

The room is 14’1” (169”) wide (sofa to sofa) by 15’1” (181”) deep (kitchen to bottom of fireplace)

However, the tv is set an angle, which impacts what we can do with the furniture on the left. My husband and I usually both sit on the sofa on the right b/c it’s not as comfortable to watch tv from the sofa on the left.
    (The angle of the tv means the sofa on the left has approximately 148” of floor space between kitchen and where the bottom of the built-in meets the floor.)

Our plan is to replace the two sofas with the H&M Your Way 87” sofas. Add a new 48" cocktail table (possibly a cocktail ottoman) and some end tables. I really like the H&M sofas. I prefer the standard depth, but I like the back height of the deeper ones better. That’s our dilemma! I was told they could make it with standard depth but the higher height, but that there would be an additional charge. Might be worth considering, depending on the cost.

Thanks for the help!

bkbaer Guest

* an addition to the above post...
    I'm wondering if instead of asking them to customize a sofa to have standard depth but height from the deeper depth sofa, if they can just switch out the feet so as to add about an inch to the overall height of the standard depth sofa. Our current sofas are listed at 39" tall, but in reality appear 38" tall. Also, our current sofas indicate they have a 22" seat height (although they no longer measure that high) whereas the H&M say 20.5". I don't want the new sofas to feel or look too short for the room (10' ceilings). So if there was an option of switching the feet, that might solve my problem... and it seems rather simple.

I apologize again for not knowing how to start a thread on a different topic. Here are a few questions that I have...

Your Way Program:
    I believe there are a limited number of leathers that qualify for discounts for this program. I was told Kip, Gunner and Hutton for Class 1; Angelo, Coast, Document, Dream, and Piazza for Class 2. Are there any others that qualify within this discounted pricing that you are aware of? I believe selecting a different class 2 leather would add approx 15% to the price, so it would be great to find a leather within the list of discounted leathers. What is different about these leathers than other Class 1 or Class 2 leathers? I have seen you mention that you like Kip. I am considering Kip Mocha or Gunner Mocha for my leather, but was hoping to find a Class 2 since the difference in price isn't that significant. But so far I haven't found a leather in Class 2 that is close to the same color, except Viking Tobacco, which isn't on the list. My concern about Kip and Gunner is the quality and the fact that the description says two-tone. I prefer a more even tone. (So thank you for your descriptions about Document... I know I would not like Document!) I would love to find a color within Dream or Piazza, or possibly Angelo, but so far haven't found one that I like. (btw... our old couches are Thomasville in Umbria Double Chocolate. So that is the leather we have had for the past 12 years)
    Last edited by bkbaer; 05-07-2017 at 09:59 PM.

A few more ideas in addition to answers:

* Consider an articulating TV mount, that allows you do pull the TV out a few inches and pivot it. Would make viewing from the wall side sofa MUCH easier. I have that kind of mount at my house as I have the same dual, opposite sofas as you do.

* Yes, you can add height to a foot, use wedge or block ones as they are easy to make. There will be an upcharge, but it's reasonable.

* You can add height to the back of a piece without depth, but it changes proportions in addition to a custom charge. Be careful when you do that.

* The Extra Depth unit on the wall would work just fine, standard depth as the floating unit (IMHO).

* Leather "grade" does not necessarily buy you a higher quality hide. Read this thread: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/foru...her-Upholstery

* I have not participated in any buy-in program for YOUR WAY, which requires me to stock a number of pieces to qualify and is a major investment both in cost and floor space. so I do not have the program details at this time. Should you wish to purchase these two new sofas from my store, I will get the program details and consider the program buy-in on them, depending on the requirements. If you intend to buy from another dealer, they can assist you with program pricing.

* Of all the finished leathers you mentioned, Angelo is the one I prefer the best for all the things you look for in a nice hide. All of them are decent, however.
    Last edited by drcollie; 05-12-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    Duane Collie

bkbaer Guest

Thank you for your input. Our tv is on an articulating arm, so we do sometimes adjust the angle. Angelo is one of my favorites too! But unfortunately, it has limited colors and I haven't found one to go with my room. I still wonder if using a navy or possibly a grayish blue would make this room more interesting. We have a vibrant photo on the wall (which isn't pictured) so it would pull colors from that picture. But I'm concerned that the navy will look dated. So, if we go brown, it will likely be Kip or Gunner Mocha. If we go blue, I will have to pick out a color, but there appears to be blues in the Coast, Dream, Document and Kip, which would qualify for the Your Way pricing, or additionally Cavalier or Caress, which would be an upcharge. Too many decisions to make
    Last edited by bkbaer; 05-08-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Here's an update to this thread. The Your Way items have never been on any special promotional program since their introduction. What happened when the rolled this series out a few years ago was H&M furnished dealers that bought floor stock with some small handles of leathers in GR 1 and GR 2 just to place near the items as a sales aid. They were never discounted or otherwise required to be used, they are just standard series hides. So, the dealer you are shopping at still has these handles and is showing them with the Your Way product, but they really are obsolete and you can use any of the 400 + H&M leathers on the series.
    Last edited by drcollie; 05-12-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Duane Collie

bkbaer Guest

Thank you. I believe I am going with two sofas in Cavalier Mocha. I went to a different store yesterday, and was able to see a Kip Mocha City Sofa and Cavalier Mocha chair right next to each other in a store near me. I don't know why they selected two different leathers for the same grouping, but it worked out well to me. The Kip looked a little "flat" to me. Although at first glance, the two pieces appeared to be the same leather, when I looked closer, the Cavalier was much richer looking. Even though this store didn't have any natural lighting in the area of these sofas, I think I would have been disappointed in the Kip. So I'm happy with the Cavalier Mocha color choice.

Did you see this yet? Equestrian Truffle will blow away Cavalier Mocha for less money. I'll be glad to quote these for you:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...f-you-want-one
    Duane Collie

bkbaer Guest

Thank you. The Equestrian looks beautiful, but I tend towards less pebble and a more even finish. I will try to take a look at it next week. The sofas I am looking at are: TWO of the Your Way 87" sofas; S-Standard Depth, RS-Rolled Arm Straight Cushion, T-Tapered Leg and BS-Square Box (or maybe BR). At this point, I am planning on Cavalier Mocha.

If you would like a quote, please go here to request:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/foru...tes-and-Orders
    Duane Collie