Thread: Buying Help Please - trying to correct a past mistake

Default Buying Help Please - trying to correct a past mistake

Hello! I found this forum after trying to find a place that had honest information/reviews for American made furniture manufacturers. Long story short, I thought I done my research and recently purchased a sofa, loveseat, and ottoman from room and Board. As you can imagine the quality was not what I expected. I’m returning these pieces and am looking for ideas on good quality sofas. I would like to purchase a sofa and loveseat combination with a budget of $4500-$5000. Is this budget too low for good quality furniture that will last? If not, what manufactures should I be looking at. If this budget is too low what should I expect to spend for a good quality sofa and loveseat combination?

Any ideas and/or thoughts would be most appreciated! Thank you!

Default Re: Buying Help Please - trying to correct a past mistake

Are you covering in leather or fabric?

What specifically did you not like in the Room and Board product?

What are your expectations in a build?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for responding. I want to cover in fabric. I chose a 100% polyester weave as I thought it would be more kid friendly (two kids aged 6 and 3). I bought the Stevens option at Room and Board, a 91 inch and a 71 inch. The cushions were spring encased in foam and the springs were sinuous (not sure of the gauge). When it arrived one of the wood legs had a large gash in the leg. After a week of use I noticed a creak when sitting or moving on the left side of the large sofa. A repair guy came and appeared to solve the problem for a short time before the sound returned on both sides. The repair guy came out again but there is still a creaking sound despite his attempts to fix it. I did get couple of replacement legs that he attached as well (it took two tries because the first replacement had a chip in the leg too). Now both sofas have a creaking sound and I just noticed a pointy wire about to come up through the bottom of the large sofa when cleaning and rotating the cushions last week. The legs have never seemed to be straight either and there is pilling starting already. We’ve had the sofas since September 2020.

As far as expectations, I really want there to be no sound when I sit down, no wires poking through the bottom, and no pilling at least for the first couple of years. I’d like the sofas to last for 7 years or so, but I’m realistic that might not be possible with my budget (or at least I’d like to know if that’s the case).

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

I failed to mention that my wife and I are average-sized people. I’m 6-1, 185 and my wife is 5-7, 130.

I tend to avoid 100% Polyester - it will pill. All manmade fabrics pill. A blend with some natural fibers is better for the long run in my opinion.

Creaks are always loose wood joints. They are not fixable without frame work. Sometimes a spring can rub, that makes a different noise than a creak.

Better sofas don't have legs you can screw on and off. Ugh.

I would go Taylor King as a suggestion and select a fabric that has some cotton or linen content in it. I don't have issues with TK and you can stay in budget in their Taylor Made program using Portfolio promotional fabrics.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.