Thread: Anthropologie Sofa

Gigi Guest

Default Anthropologie Sofa

It sounds ridiculous I know, but, there is a sofa at the
    womens fashion retail store "Anthropologie" that I just love. The sofa appears to be old, antique style leather, and it is buttery soft. The name of the sofa is "Cotswold."
    I've not been able to determine the manufacturer. I just don't trust the quality of furniture from a fashion store.
    Can anyone advise, or suggest a comparable style, with
    fine quality? It can be viewed at http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/...isSubcategory=

My wife took me into Anthropologie in Reston Town Center, VA, and while she was looking at clothes and trinkets, I was all over that furniture. I have to tell you, I think that is probably the worst furniture I have ever seen in my career, and I've seen a lot of upholstery in 25 years. Its so poorly made that they should be arrested for fraud, trying to get $ 4,400 for a $ 1,400 sofa. I'm not even sure I would give them that much for it.... The spring deck is horrid, the cushions are non-supportive, the frame flexes and the tailoring is third rate. Its has ZERO redeeming qualities to it. I think I embarrassed my wife in the store as I pointed out all the flaws in the pieces - she kind of 'shooshed' me out of the place the way I was clucking on about it - perhaps a little too loudly.

Here's a decent maker. You'll get your money's worth with H&M. I just grabbed a few styles on a similar vein but you can browse their site for more. It won't look as 'broken down' as the Antropologie product, because .... its not!

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...?productid=868

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1582

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1943
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Gigi Guest

Thank you for the prompt response! The quality is just as I suspected; questionable. I am goinng to study all the pictures and remarks from your site to help determine the best choice. FYI, I bought my husband a H & M leather chair and ottoman about 22 years ago, and it still looks the same as the day it was delivered. Thanks again!

There ya go! 22 years on an H&M does not surprise me in the least, my very first H&M piece is in my house (1001 Recliner) and is 22 years old as well - still going great.
    Duane Collie

Default Re: Anthropologie Sofa

I had not seen Anthropologie furniture close-up before, and even now I'm looking at pictures, but oh... the pictures. And those are from the catalog.
    Look, I get it that they're room for everybody's sensibilities in the world and I understand being provocative. However, when I see something like this, I think what's really going on is a cynical worldview at work. It's almost as if people design things that are purposely ugly and expensive just to see how gullible people really are. I get it too that I may be completely out to lunch here but you tell me. Would you allow any of these pieces near your home?

Its the worst furniture I've ever seen outside of a junk store. Not only does it look shabby, its assembled poorly and I find it sits terrible. I'm sure they sell it though.....to someone who is buying the sizzle instead of the steak.
    Duane Collie

I guess it's like the furniture that is... supposed to look like it's upholstered with old flour sacks (from France?) - I don't even see the sizzle.