Thread: New Sectional Family of 4?

LLNOVA Guest

Smile New Sectional Family of 4?

I've been researching sectionals for some time. So much information out there. We are looking for a sectional for a family of 4 (2 small boys) to last 7-10 years. I've been back and forth with Sherrill & other brands. I'm now looking at Precedent (Parisian Loft) sectional thinking we'd get 7/10 years. We were also considering a McCreary sectional from Macy's or Crate & Barrel. I understand Sherrill is well made; however, I'm afraid The frame will outlast the fabric & don't want to spend the extra money. Looking for something mid-grade, decent quality with deeper seating. Any input on Precedent or McCreary lines would be much appreciated as well as suggestions for other brands. Thank you for reading

Default Re: New Sectional Family of 4?

I'd be very careful what I purchase from Crate and Barrel. I purchased two deep Lounge 93" sofas from C&B in 2011 and the suspension system is absolute junk. I have no idea if they're McCreary or not.

If what you're interested in purchasing from C&B has this suspension: Flexolator spring suspension system

RUN. We have tremendous sagging to the point where we emailed C&B in Atlanta and they did send us another Flexolator system and clips for repair but no one will touch it for repair. It will have to be a DIY. And I'm sure that process won't be fun either. We got way less than 6 years out of this furniture considering we have had sagging and broken suspension systems in both sofas for the last 2 years.

We are now researching Hancock & Moore and Taylor King for our next purchase. I want quality. Not junk. If I had realized how poorly made these sofas were, I would have saved my $3800 and gotten something better.

I would take a look at this link (sticky in this forum) for more info on Crate and Barrel, etc.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...furniture-made

Why would you want to buy something with a lifespan of only 7 to 10 years? That just doesn't seem to be a good parameter to me. Granted, you are probably buying on price, but what you should do is buy on construction. Because an inexpensive piece is typically poor construction, and that will mean suspension failure around halfway to your projected failure date. Shopping by "Brand" is not as good as shopping by "construction". Sherrill is a quality build. Put a Performance fabric on there (Sunbrella, Crypton brands) so you can easily clean any messes the kids make and now you have a piece that will go beyond that time frame and then at that 7 to 10 year mark you can decide if you want to keep it or get something new. It's false economy to buy on price, and Macy's or Crate and Barrel would be my last choices for buying any kind of furniture from. Cheap product, high margins from both those sellers.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

LLNOVA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PanAnna View Post
    I'd be very careful what I purchase from Crate and Barrel. I purchased two deep Lounge 93" sofas from C&B in 2011 and the suspension system is absolute junk. I have no idea if they're McCreary or not.

If what you're interested in purchasing from C&B has this suspension: Flexolator spring suspension system

RUN. We have tremendous sagging to the point where we emailed C&B in Atlanta and they did send us another Flexolator system and clips for repair but no one will touch it for repair. It will have to be a DIY. And I'm sure that process won't be fun either. We got way less than 6 years out of this furniture considering we have had sagging and broken suspension systems in both sofas for the last 2 years.

We are now researching Hancock & Moore and Taylor King for our next purchase. I want quality. Not junk. If I had realized how poorly made these sofas were, I would have saved my $3800 and gotten something better.

I would take a look at this link (sticky in this forum) for more info on Crate and Barrel, etc.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...furniture-made
    Yes, it's the flexalator I believe. The Axis. Good to know about the suspension because in my research I couldn't find much information on it.

I will not buy Furniture from anywhere but a privately owned furniture store-- and then you have to be careful who you choose. In my area there are only 2 privately owned Family stores left that carry good quality furniture (Sherrill, VanGuard, Hancock and Moore, Bradington Young etc.). The rest are usually full of what I call "Junk" furniture which I've found is almost as expensive as the good stuff. But I do understand not everyone can afford well made furniture. I think you get much better service as well from a small business.