Thread: TRS Upholstery or King Hickory sofa

Default TRS Upholstery or King Hickory sofa

Looking for opinions on few sofa choices we picked.
    1st sofa is made by TRS Upholstery. It is discontinued model that store discounted from over $12K to about $3K. The most comfortable, luxurious seating we tried. fabric is grade 42, appears as Embroidered silk. There are several concerns about this piece which I hope you will say overblown:
    From my google search I read that TRS upholstery is bought in 2012 by Theodore Alexander and than in January of 2017 bought in turn by some Chinese investment firm. (Does it mean the sofa is at least 5 years old?). Being also that both model and fabric are discontinued should we be concerned with any warranty, support? Also, fabric being silk we concerned with durability, cleaning etc. Cats may ( or may not ) like to pull the loops out of embroidered stitches . Store's upholstery Guard program would not spray and cover silk.

Alternate we are looking at King Hickory sofa. For less money we can custom build it with combination of fabric and leather for hands and bottom panel. On paper the construction looks like checking most of the "high-end" recommendations on this forum. Cushions (they call it Comfort Down) are very comfortable. Uses Dawn/feather/fiber mix. On the photo is their Juliana sectional/sofa.
    I would welcome any opinion on this brand and one option vs another.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Jun 04, 11 40 01 AM.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	9901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Jun 04, 11 54 34 AM.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	9902
    Last edited by etsvilik; 06-04-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Default Re: TRS Upholstery or King Hickory sofa

A couple of observations and opinions.

* No sofa is marked down from a true $ 12,000 to $ 3,000. Don't buy into that. Instead, ask yourself if this is $ 3,000 worth of sofa? That's how you want to buy it.

* The Chinese own a lot of American companies now, that alone should not necessarily put you off, it's the way of the world now. For example, they own Robb and Stucky, and Baker Furniture, two very high end operations.

* Silk is luxurious however is a more fragile material. Sunlight will break it down and cause it to go threadbare, for example.

I don't do "brand comparisons" see the FAQ for more on that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you for your reply and good points. Of course I don't care what they are discounting from. The construction and fabric may be worth $3000 comparing to other high end sofas.. We like the seating and style. But for our heavy use/pet owning family embroidered silk most likely not going to work. shame. EDIT: the store informed me that fabric is actually 74% Linen and 26% silk. Does it change anything in terms of care and durability?

Understand about "brand comparisons". More general questions then:
    Besides style considerations, are loose back is more practical, easy to fix, clean, maintain or it is our misconception? We like some attached or solid backs but concerned about listed issues.

I read in your posts that there is no "cat-compatible" upholstery. No one can predict what they like to scratch on. Our existing fabric sofas are holding up OK with my wife occasionally cutting off loops pulled by cats. Fabric still holds and does not unravel. We are sort of OK with that. What type of blend, type of fabric would you recommend that will not unravel, masking the scratches better? Would you risk with protected leather? We like the leather but paranoid about being ripped open. Are all protected leather made equal within the same brand?

(We were checking Hancock&Moore September Sofa in Document Copper. I understand you are the dealer for H&M - can you PM the quote?. I was confused that the quotes for leather were the same ballpark as their fabric options in low grades. Is there a catch?)
    Last edited by etsvilik; 06-06-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: fabric content

Sounds like Silk would be the wrong choice for you. Linen/Silk is not particularly durable, either.

Loose backs just give you flexibility to reverse the cushions on fabric pieces, and more easily change out the fill material if ever needed. Tight backs stay squared away more and offer a more crisp look. Semi Attached is about 50/50./

Sorry, I've no idea what material would not unravel. Anything made with a warp and weft can have that happen. Protected leather is nothing more than painted leathers, it's not armored. Read more about there here on the forum under LEATHER.

For quotes - please complete the quote form here on the forum, then glad to give you prices. No catch, H&M is a leather house, not a fabric one!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.