Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recliner won't stay back

Hybrid View

Default Recliner won't stay back

I have an H&M recliner that is maybe 6 years old and it leans back and raises the foot rest fine, but then when you push back more to get the back to go down into more of a reclined position, it goes down but then sits back up as soon as you stop pushing. It is like the spring or strut has too much pressure or something and won't stay in the more reclined position. Anyone have any ideas on how I can go about fixing this?

Default Re: Recliner won't stay back

Sounds like it needs a Booster Spring. What model recliner is it? If no model #, then can you post a photo or two so it can be identified?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

helpPlease Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Sounds like it needs a Booster Spring. What model recliner is it? If no model #, then can you post a photo or two so it can be identified?
    Hi Duane. I’m having the same problem with the Lewis Leather Recliner from West Elm. Any idea if it’s a simple fix?

I see four springs under the chair. Two towards the front footrest area and two in the back. I assume these are there simply to facilitate the reclining motion, and that I would need to detach one of the back springs to resolve the problem. Don’t have much experience here though and wanted to be sure.
    Last edited by helpPlease; 01-28-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks Duane. It is a Woodbridge / 1021. If that is what it is, how hard are they to replace? Anything I can check underside to see if things are connected right?

# 1021 has a pair of springs on it one left, one right. Try taking one off - it will only take a couple seconds and all you need is pliers. See how that works for you and if it solves the problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spring.jpg 
Views:	5462 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	9937
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    # 1021 has a pair of springs on it one left, one right. Try taking one off - it will only take a couple seconds and all you need is pliers. See how that works for you and if it solves the problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spring.jpg 
Views:	5462 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	9937
    I know this post is several years old, but wanted to say "THANK YOU!" for the spring removal advice. My unknown-name recliner will now stay reclined without a fight.

Thanks for the photo Duane, very helpful. I disconnected one of the springs and now it stays fully reclined! I guess it had too much tension? Is there a downside to staying with just one, perhaps more pressure on only one side of the mechanism?

No downside, if that works for you then use it like that. The springs are an assist, they are not part of the function of the mechanism in normal operation
    Duane Collie

That is great, thank you Duane.

Bobbyoshow Guest

Hi Duane. I too have a similar issue as Danw99 with a recliner that doesn't stay in a reclined position and I don't weigh enough to hold it back.

I ordered and recently received a Bradington Young - Laconica 7050 swivel rocker recliner. I hadn't noticed that it didn't stay in a reclined position while sitting in a model on the showroom floor.

Do you have any suggestions for this particular model regarding its recliner mechanism? Didn't want to remove any springs since I don't know enough about this particular model. Thanks so much for weighing in on this with your professional expertise.