Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pls help with room layout -- 4 options

Default Re: Pls help with room layout -- 4 options

Hi, Helen203.

All three of your candidates are terrific! And, that you will have a pair is going to create a well-thought, very balanced look.

My husband and I have the H&M Tavern and we absolutely love it. We are 100% satisfied with our selection, but we had specific considerations, as follows:

1) We are seriously downsizing and our new home (...if we ever get it built!) will not accommodate one of the deeper-seated sofas.

2) We always prefer a Chesterfield, but don't like the gap created when placing a table behind the sofa, which we always do. The Tavern has the handsome rolled arms but the back roll has been eliminated. Also, the outside back is nearly perpendicular to the floor. If needed, it can be placed very close to a wall, again an efficient use of limited space. Ours looks just right with a table or chest placed behind it. The arm rolls are not a problem because we use a lower-height side table and floor lamp.

3) We wanted a lower back in order to keep sight-lines open. Strictly a personal preference.

4) We wanted the traditional leg with casters. We love the old-school look.

5) H&M did a fantastic job making a single bench-style cushion for us! We did not want a tufted seat, nor did we want split cushions. Again, strictly a personal preference.

This is the perfect sofa for us. We find it very comfortable. Our guests seem to be comfortable, as well. The back and arm heights are just right for arm rests. I am 5' 8" and easily nap on our Tavern. My husband is 6' and can nap if he's propped up with pillows.

Truly, all three of your selections are beautiful. It all depends on your space, how you want them to work for you, and the look you like. It's all very exciting and I am looking forward to how it shakes out for you! Fun!

TXCajun

Thanks for the feedback, TXCajun -- all of the design pages seem to be featuring beautiful chesterfields these days, but I fear that I am too conservative for this choice. I'm leaning toward the Monaco, which is more reflective of other pieces in our home. The more I study it, the more I like it.

Hi, Helen203.

You are most welcome. I completely understand about the Chesterfields! Although being of a very old "traditional" design, in current times they seem to be seen as "bold". Ha!

Regardless, there is no way you can wrong with the H&M Monaco. I love that piece! I see it as extremely handsome...Those arms are fantastic. And, if I understand your earlier statement, I agree that the leather choice will swing the sofa from rugged to refined. Maybe I missed it, but which leathers are you considering?

TXCajun

I knew my statement about being too "traditional" was a little weird, considering how classic a chesterfield is!! lol

I want a mid-tone brown, but its hard to find one -- I'd love to hear your opinion! I don't think I'd be happy with a pull-up, but a lightly burnished leather would be great.

Hyde Park: Brownie is too dark (I think), but very pretty, Tan may be too light but its a contender, and Earth doesn't rub me quite right. I asked Duane for Cognac sample.

Cameo: Tan and Luggage look the same in my tiny swatches, Brown is sort of orange

Capri: Maybe Harness, or Butternut???

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    I knew my statement about being too "traditional" was a little weird, considering how classic a chesterfield is!! lol

I want a mid-tone brown, but its hard to find one -- I'd love to hear your opinion! I don't think I'd be happy with a pull-up, but a lightly burnished leather would be great.

Hyde Park: Brownie is too dark (I think), but very pretty, Tan may be too light but its a contender, and Earth doesn't rub me quite right. I asked Duane for Cognac sample.

Cameo: Tan and Luggage look the same in my tiny swatches, Brown is sort of orange

Capri: Maybe Harness, or Butternut???
    Hi, Helen203.

My husband and I looked at several samples and once he touched a Grade 4 Capri, that sealed the deal. He insisted on that for our Tavern sofa. We chose Capri Tobacco. It feels like the most luxurious glove leather and we absolutely love it.

We then decided we wanted a different color for our two chairs. The Capri line did not have the exact color we had in mind, but we found it in the Hyde Park line. We went with Hyde Park Tan, lightly burnished. I am a huge fan of Hyde Park! It too has a very smooth and rich hand, but it is not as supple as the Capri hide. The sheen is a lovely glow, not shiny, and the color has terrific depth. It will show fingernail scratches, but they quickly buff out with a rub of the thumb. It sort of sounds like one is climbing onto a saddle when taking a seat.

In order to create some sense of continuity, we ordered all pieces with the same nail and wood finish. That's truly a personal preference, not a decorating "rule".

I urge you to get large samples. It makes all the difference. Also, a word of caution: The sample color and that which arrives on your piece will vary, sometimes quite a bit! Our Capri Tobacco was an extremely close match. The Hyde Park Tan was not, but the difference was not so much to be a totally new color. I guess the best way I can describe it is that ours is a bit darker than the sample? Beautiful, regardless.

We remain completely happy with our selections.

Regarding your leather/color candidates... I really like HP Brownie, and I completely understand what you mean about HP Earth. We considered it, but for some reason, it did not ever seem to hit the right note for us. HP Brownie was ruled out because my husband was all in with Capri Tobacco. HP Tan immediately appealed to us because it is a warm tone that plays nicely with the warm tone of Capri Tobacco. Capri Butternut was just a bit too orange for our preference, but it is very beautiful, and it is very popular. I always think it looks handsome when I see it on a piece! I cannot recall if we considered Harness. I think I kept our samples, so I'll go take a look.

One additional suggestion... Do a search of the forum for your color choices. That's what I did and it was extremely helpful. One forum member wrote an excellent post regarding her selection of Hyde Park Tan. Once we read that, we knew we were on the right track.

TXCajun

Thanks for your thoughts here, TXCajun, I appreciate them quite a bit!

Capri really is a "man among boys" in H&M leather samples. I also felt a large sample at a local store and I was instantly sold, so I think I will bite the bullet and get what I really want. It will mean delaying the purchase of a bench until next year - big deal, right? I can still seat 6 and people can sit on the window sill and the fireplace hearth in a pinch. I have combed this forum to an embarrassing degree and I suspect I have viewed every picture on it (BTW, thanks, Duane, for hosting it!). We are almost empty nesters, and my doodle and remaining kid can easily be trained away from the sofas, so this is quite the treat for us, BEFORE we retire and have to watch our pennies.

I am beginning to feel positively delighted at the prospect of these sofas!
    Last edited by Helen203; 07-20-2017 at 05:28 PM.

I have to work with an adjoining brick wall and a stone fireplace -- which is the best color option to bridge the two? Sofas will be Monaco. Opinions welcome!!!

Hyde Park Earth Burnished
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Earth.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	10108

Hyde Park Brownie (tho this is the Tulip Sofa in Hiking Boot -- you get the idea)

Name:	option 2 hyde park brownie burnished.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	10106

Capri Plateau

Name:	plateau.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	10109
    Last edited by Helen203; 07-26-2017 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added capri

Any of those can - and will - work. They are all "earth tones" and usually you can mix most any earth tone in a room and they all harmonize.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

My husband is leery of the very soft Capri leathers -- are they rugged enough for our household? The Hyde Park series just feels more rugged, tho that may not be the case at all.
    Last edited by Helen203; 07-27-2017 at 04:35 AM.

There is no question a burnished leather can take more abuse than a luxury hide such as Capri. Burnished hides have proven themselves to be pretty tough.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.