Thread: Problems with leather sofa and chair

Default Problems with leather sofa and chair

Hello,
    We currently have a west haven Bradington Young sofa in dark brown leather and a hooker recliner in dark brown leather. In less than one month a spot on the leather sofa is peeled with a much lighter color underneath showing. Same kind of spot on recliner too. The sofa also has three odd spots where the color has worn off. We have had this furniture less than a month and are not rough on our furniture.
    The furniture store which is an hour from us is offering to give refund with 25% restock fee or buy more furniture from them. I was told the only leather sofas they have fully made in USA without china leather is Mckinley. My question is, should we lose money or get Mckinley and any advice on leather with that company would be appreciated.
    We flooded in August 2016 and moved back in February. I really want to check the living room furniture off our list. Too many decisions to make! Our previous sofa and chair and ottoman were 12 year old Klausner that still look great. They no longer make it and I no longer trust many leather furniture makers.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Last edited by Brandi; 06-16-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Default Re: problems with leather sofa and chair

First question I have is did the store that sold you the product put any kind of aftermarket "Protection" product on it and sell you a warranty plan? Or, did you put anything on the leather? Incompatible chemicals put on top of leathers can cause peeling, that's why I ask. If some kind of chemicals were applied to the leather, either by the dealer or yourself, than that is a concern. One has to be careful what goes on the hides.

If you have the same spots on two different pieces of furniture - from two different makers, and no top coating chemicals have been used, then the detective in me says perhaps there is something in your home that landed on both units. Could be a cleaning chemical of some sort or something that was on some pants, etc. That's highly unusual for two different leathers from two different producers to experience the same issue at the same time.

If the furniture is one month old and nothing applied to the leather, than this is something you want your selling dealer to contact their Bradington Young Sales Rep and have them come look at the pieces in your home. Very rarely, there are defective hides that can manifest such as this - it does not happen often. If so, that would be a warranty issue and the pieces would need to go back to B-Y for inspection. Your selling dealer will assist you with this process.

McKinley leather has plenty of leathers that come from Chinese tanneries, all makers do. You have some bad information, there - I used to be a dealer in that line. Just because leather comes from China does not means its bad, any more than the computer you are typing on or the smartphone you are using are bad - they're from China, too.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

We didn't purchase protection plan and have not put anything on sofa. The area on recliner is on corner of seat cushion like it wore off. On the sofa it is on seat cushion. The first "worn off" area I noticed, I took a lightly dampened paper towel and wiped thinking something got on it. When I wiped, the leather color came off on the paper towel, but spot didn't look any different.
    The rep went to meet with the owners of furniture store but did not come to our home. The lady at store who I've been talking to said BY would take it back and recover because they think something happened in dying process. I didn't want to do this after I saw their warranty on the leather. I also was concerned that he told her it may peel bc cows have layers of skin like us and it can peel off?? My biggest concern is the longevity of the sofa.

My recommendation would then be to let the dealer pickup the unit and return it to B-Y and they will fix any issues.

It's quite normal for some color to come off on dampened cloths.

Any peeling you may be seeing is top coat, it's not the leather itself. Probably a bad batch of hides. It's rare for that to occur, but not unheard of.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you. The sofa is very comfortable.