Thread: Buying a leather sectional soon

alexc Guest

Default Buying a leather sectional soon

I am replacing an old reclining sectional of mediocre quality. I want something that is sturdy and hard wearing. No pets and no kids, this piece will be lived on by two adults who will eat while watching TV, so it will be subject to the occasional spill or stray meatball. One of us is used to the recliner but will be okay with an ottoman to put one's feet up on if the piece is otherwise comfortable.

I have considered Motioncraft, BY, Leathercraft, Drexel Heritage, and H&M.

One place recommended Elite. We tried the Elite Ritz reclining sofa and it was okay.

Drexel Heritage has a Natalie sectional available in leather, but none of them actually have leather on the sales floor. The fabric one they have on the floor does seem sturdy and comfortable. I have not asked details on construction yet.

We liked the comfort of the H&M Austin chair. I prefer the transitional look of the Campaign or Tower. I have called every dealer within a 200 mile radius of Raleigh, NC and nobody has either in sectional or sofa for Campaign or Tower. I would consider the City if I could find at least a sofa to try. One dealer called the factory and they had a campaign chair in fabric going through. I don't think I can purchase a leather sectional based on a fabric chair. I will drive a few hours see a leather Campaign/Tower/City/Austin sectional or even sofa. Ideally the store would have more than one model to compare.

Does anyone have any suggestions where else to look? If Duane is reading, does he have any of these?

Does anyone know about Restoration Hardware quality? I have heard they are more marketing than substance, but at least I can go to the store, sit on the actual furniture, and know that I like how it sits and how it looks.

Alex

Default Re: Buying a leather sectional soon

Hi Alex,
    Check Highland Furniture in Kinston, NC http://www.highlandfurnitureshop.com/
    and
    Carriage House Furniture, Jacksonville, NC http://www.carriagehousefurnitureco.com

Both stores carry H&M and B-Y and other brands in their showrooms.

Hi Alex,

Most dealers tend to display items that are in the H&M Town and Country collection, which neither the Campaign or Tower series are part of. Might be difficult to find. Its always hard to find a number of the models, because there are 1.400 frames in H&M, and the average store might have 20.

I never stock Sectionals, they take up too much room in my small store. Tried one once, it just overwhelmed one quadrant of my sales floor. Sofas I have from H&M right now on the floor: Sundance, McNary, Evening, Member Apartment, City Loveseat, Journal, Paley.

If you decide on an H&M Austin Sectional, i would encourage you to get the high back model. It seems to be much more preferred by most folks over the standard unit.

Your analysis of Restoration Hardware sofas is pretty much spot on.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

alexc Guest

Thanks for the info!

I will call the places juliepooch suggested.

A high back and deep seat is probably better for me since I am tall. The chair we saw was probably high back but I'm not sure...

I will keep looking. Thanks again for the advice!

Alex

Alexc...

You might also try Boyles Furniture, Jamestown N.C. (also in Highpoint) and Green Front Furniture in Farmville, Va. Both these are H&M dealers and might have something in stock that you could try. They are both well within your 200 mile radius of Raleigh. Green Front also has a store in Raleigh , although much smaller than the Farmville site.

alexc Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's an update...

Just to review, I want to buy a Tower Sectional, Campaign Sectional, or a City Sectional (that is my order of preference based on style). I am on a quest to find these sectionals or (more likely) the sofas to evaluate in person.

Boyles did not have any of these pieces when I called.

I found out the Manassas Greenfront purchased the H&M showroom (I think from the Furniture Market but I confess I am not sure). They had not yet received the shipment and did not know what they would have. They suggested I call back next Friday and I plan to do that.

I found the 9840 City Sofa and City Chair at a store about 1.5 hours away, so yesterday I went to see it. It was very comfortable. I looked at leather swatches and took notes. I will probably start another thread on the leather topic.

If I cannot find the Campaign or Tower within the next few weeks I may order the City Sectional based on my impression of the sofa. My problem is I don't think the person I was working with is very knowledgeable about this furniture and nobody local inspires confidence either.

It has been difficult to get the dimension information I need. The information on the HM web site is sparse. The salesperson I was working with made some copies of information but it is incomplete. More than that, I was given the impression the 9840 LAQ/RAQ would fit my space since it is "109" wide, but thanks to the information Duane posted here: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...6&d=1254151157 and my "fact checking" nature I see that it requires much more space and is too large. The Loveseat version is probably a better fit, but I have to go back to Icovia tool and experiment with layout.

I also had requested info on the Tower and got some incomplete information on that as well. It appears to be too large, but the limited information I was given included armless loveseat and armless sofa pieces, which suggests a loveseat sectional option or a corner (vs quarter unit) configuration that may fit better, but I have no clue since I was only given a "snippet" of information. The HM web site does not suggest corner configuration and the salesperson did not mention sofa vs. loveseat vs. corner vs. quarter.

I did not realize I was given only pieces of information until I had left the store. I did not think to ask if there was more relevant information available.

So at least I have found a City Sofa and it was comfortable but my Quest continues for information and also to see the Tower and Campaign if I can find them.

I have a few questions for Duane:

Q: Can you provide me with diagrams of all the sofa/loveseat/corner/quarter options for the Tower, Campaign, and City Sectionals.
    Q: I cannot find anyone close to me who inspires confidence with their understanding of this product. Can you ship to Raleigh? How would service you provide to someone this far away differ from someone local?
    Q: What is your opinion of the comfort of the "corner" seat in a quarter unit? I usually take the corner, but I don't sit, I lie down on one side of the sectional using it as a chaise and lean against the corner. I may be limited based on space requirements, but outside of that, which would be better for comfort - a quarter unit or a corner unit?
    Q: Which ottoman? I am leaning toward the 072 Campaign Cocktail ottoman. We will be giving up a recliner (on the end of current sectional) and will use the ottoman instead (this is a concession for someone). Is this a good ottoman for this purpose? Caster or no casters? I have pretty "standard" carpet - not lowpile but not shag either. Not sure if the casters would make it easier or more difficult to move. Could I remove the casters myself if I decided to go without?

Thanks all for your suggestions and to Duane for any help he can provide.

Regards,
    Alex

Hi Alex,

Sectionals to try out usually are hard to find. They take up a lot of space and are expensive, so most dealer prefer to show sofas.

Unfortunately, H&M doesn't give up much to work with on Sectionals as far as diagrams and the like. But let me see what I can come up with when I'm back in the store on Tuesday. I'll find something.

On the 9840 series City that's a 2-piece unit. Choices are with a 90 degree corner built into one segment - the other straight, or you can opt for a wider turn and 45 degree corners on each piece. Mix n' match loveseat (2 seat) or sofa (3 seat) in any position.

The # 4195 series Tower has a Chaise (1 seat), to fit a Loveseat of Sofa. As a sectional, it has 45 degree built in on 2-pieces, loveseat and/or sofa. No 90 degree corner option.

The # 1282 Campaign series is all 90 degree turn pieces, mix and match loveseats and sofas, any position. The corner is built in to one of the pieces.

Yes, I can ship pretty much anywhere, Raleigh is easy. To see what long distance sales involves, click this topic link:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...What-to-Expect

Corner units are more cozy, and take up less space in a room that the Quarter (45 degree segment) pieces. If you're backing the sectional to the corner of a room they're really the best choice. The Quarter turns allow more room overall and a chance to 'Spread out" more. One is not necessarily better or more comfy than the other, its more along the lines of what works best for your room configuration.

As to ottomans, the real key is to get one that is 2" lower than the seat height of the sectional...thats the most critical thing. If they are too high, they're uncomfortable. I tend to like square ottomans in the neighborhood of 38" to 40", but anything will work. The 072 is a top seller and fits in exactly like what I have in my house. Casters or none, not much difference to move on carpet. You really can't remove the casters gracefully at a later date, however.
    Duane Collie

alexc Guest

Thanks for all the advice. Here is an update...

My quest continues.

My plans have now changed some. I was never convinced my partner would be satisfied with anything less than a recliner. We have a lane sectional with recliners in the end. It is rather worse for wear now (embarassingly so) but he seems to be so comfortable using it. So instead of a sectional with an ottoman I think we will go for a pair of recliners and a sofa.

The recliner will be whatever he likes. He tried the Austin at the local Greenfront in Raleigh and thought it was really comfortable but he did not like the appearance. It is on the list. We went to Greenfront in Farmville, VA. I knew they did not have the Tower I was looking for but I figured they would have a wider selection of recliners to try than the local store and they did. I was hoping the Miller was there and it was! He found both the 1021 Woodbridge and the 7017 Miller Bustle Back the most comfortable. He is leaning toward the Woodbridge with the extra foot support vs. the Miller with the single support. Neither of us are keen on the wing back design but comfort will be paramount. I think the Woodbridge will be top of the list. Incidentally, the woodbridge was in Alberta Harness and the Miller was Document Chestnut. The Alberta was much more supple and may actually be influencing the subjective impression of comfort. I'm not convinced the Miller was working correctly - it never seemed to "snap" into place in the max reclining position so I'm not sure it ever made it there. I am thinking power recliners (both have the option according to the HM web site) so his chair will have any position in the range of recline available, and so the one that will be in the corner with little room behind it can be unplugged to prevent someone from crashing into the wall! It can be pulled out when someone wants to use it.

I will need a sofa that is very comfortable with lounging and having a sprawl. That is how I sit on our current sectional - I lay down on it and lean against the corner. I will need to do this with the sofa that replaces it because the TV is on the wall to the right of (not in front of) the sofa. So I am looking for a sofa with a very high and comfy arm that will be high enough to provide some support when leaning against and a sofa long enough for me. I use a pillow today for added support so I don't expect to find something perfect. I am 6'5", but I never lay down completely vertically. I really like the looks of the Tower, and it does have a high arm, but I have not had a chance to try it out. Also, the Chancellor has a very high arm and looks like it might work for me but I have not been able to find it either.

Incidentally I am thinking of red sofa and black chairs, probably in a leather with little variation, protection, and softness, like caress. I was hoping for pieces with transitional design, but comfort will trump style (to a large extent). I was thinking the even color with no variation would tone down the traditional looks and allow the pieces to mix in with more transitional style. I know this is very subjective but me know if you have any opinions on this idea. Incidentally, if I had found pieces with transitional lines I would have probably leaned toward leather with more variation to soften the look a bit.

So my quest continues.

Duane, do you ever have the Chancellor (non-tufted) on your sales floor? I know you have said before you did not have the Tower and probably would not. If you have any recliners or sofas we have not seen yet but should consider we may drive to your store one weekend soon.

Two recliners and a sofa is a good, flexible setup that gives you lots of seating options.

The 7017 Miller is the top-selling H&M recliner in the line, and its really an updated version of the 1021 Woodbridge which has been in the line FOREVER. Note that the Miller tends to fit more body types better as the bustle back areas are reversed from the Woodbridge, with the larger bustle on top on the 7017. Try to find a 1044 Sadler which is my personal favorite and will accommodate your 6'5" frame. Its a bit taller than a Miller, has less 'wing' and a footrest expansion like the Woodbridge.

Most recliners have an adjustment on the bottom of them if you flip them over you will see two large wing-nuts each controlling a spring. H&M doesn't know the weight of whom will be sitting in the chair, so they set them up for average weights and sometimes they do need to be tweaked to get that 'snap' you're looking for. Power recliners of course, allow you to stop the chair at any given point in the operational range and that's certainly a nice feature.

A sofa for a man of your height? My first thought is the Settlement. Its big in all directions and long enough that you CAN lay down fully on it. However it may be larger than you want to go for the room. I think the standard Tower will cramp you up too much...you're going to feel wedged in there. This Tower would work however, and we can modify the chaise so its just a regular 4-seater.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1499

I'm not liking the Chancellor for you either, for the same reasons. I think you'd find it like sitting in a bucket (lying semi-prone). Perhaps these?:

This one has your name on it. HUGELY comfortable, but its very large. Would be perfect for your intended use:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1786

Has a gentle curve to the front..not good choice for flat on a wall, but if you float the sofa in the room this might can work:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1863

Clean, classic lines:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1863

I don't usually floor a Chancellor, or a Tower model. Right now in H &M Sofas I have a Journal, Evening, Member Apt., Paley, and Kodiak on the floor . A Sundance will be the next one in but probably not until late July.
    Duane Collie

alexc Guest

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

The recliner is not for me (I will be on the sofa). The 1021 Woodbridge is at the top of the list. We will try the 1044 Sadler if we can find it.

The ideal sofa would have inside dimensions big enough for me but no longer than approx 94". This would allow it to be centered on the fireplace but also about 42" of clearance which is needed to get into and through the room. I don't think I will find a standard sofa that fits this profile :-(

I actually went to H&M factory this week and got the grand tour by Jimmy Moore. I went specifically to see the Chancellor and the Settlement which were built and ready to be shipped. I also brought back some document, antelope and caress swatches.

As you said the standard Chancellor is not long enough for me. Also it is not really deep enough for the way I sprawl when watching TV and using a laptop. The settlement is big enough for me for sure, but I think it's width+depth make it too big for my space. Sadly the 4845 Envelope is just too long as is the 5049 Trade. The 4-seater tower is way too long at 115" (but I love it)

So now I'm thinking one or two 1021 Woodbridge recliners + 4196 Tower sofa customized as follows: Custom width: 96" Custom depth: 45.5"
    Based on my rudimentary math skills, this would provide inside width of 77" which should be long enough for me and inside depth of 27" which should be enough elbow room for me to sprawl as I do.
    What would the ballpark cost be on custom tower as above in class II?
    What is ballpark on 1021 Woodbridge with power recline option in class II?

Would you mind looking at the attached diagram?
    Custom Tower and Woodbridge Recliners.pdf
    The red box on the left is a fireplace with a raised hearth and the black box at the top is an entertainment center. The arrows show major walkways. The sofa is the Tower with the custom dimensions above and the chairs are Woodbridge dimensions. The top left recliner has no space to recline but would rarely be used. I'm not sure what to put there, if anything. The recliner at the bottom will be used regularly and has plenty of space behind it.

Thanks again for any feedback you provide.