Thread: Leathermaster OUT, LeatherMagic IN

Default Leathermaster OUT, LeatherMagic IN

I spend quite a bit of time trying to re-order some Leathermaster Care kits (I have just one left in the store). Apparently they have gone out of business - at least the USA importer (Global Solutions, Florida).

As both Hancock and Moore and Bradington-Young both specify using Leathermaster products on their furniture, I made several more phone calls to those makers and used up the rest of the morning working out alternative suppliers to cleaning and conditioning products.

Effective today. Leather Magic is the new recommended leather cleaner/conditioner for Hancock and Moore, and H&M will honor all hide warranties with use of this product:

http://www.leathermagic.com/

I spoke with Danny (Owner) for nearly an hour at Leathermagic and am impressed with his knowledge of hides and treatment products. Their leather kits are more expensive than Leathermaster, but do more as well. One of the items in their Premium kits is a UV Protector with SPF 90 that will save your leather from sun fade. And that plus dirt buildup is the number 1 cause of folks having to replace their pieces.

I'll post more to this thead when I have more time, but for now I will be carrying the Deluxe Kits of Leathermagic in my store (the $ 59.95 ones) to suit all three classes of hides. I know that seems like a lot of money for leathercare, but the premium kits have the UV blocker in them and a stain preventative that the basic kits do not, and that's easily worth the extra cost to keep your expensive upholstery looking and performing well.

http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/LthrCreKits.htm
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I spend quite a bit of time trying to re-order some Leathermaster Care kits (I have just one left in the store). Apparently they have gone out of business - at least the USA importer (Global Solutions, Florida).

As both Hancock and Moore and Bradington-Young both specify using Leathermaster products on their furniture, I made several more phone calls to those makers and used up the rest of the morning working out alternative suppliers to cleaning and conditioning products.

Effective today. Leather Magic is the new recommended leather cleaner/conditioner for Hancock and Moore, and H&M will honor all hide warranties with use of this product:

http://www.leathermagic.com/

I spoke with Danny (Owner) for nearly an hour at Leathermagic and am impressed with his knowledge of hides and treatment products. Their leather kits are more expensive than Leathermaster, but do more as well. One of the items in their Premium kits is a UV Protector with SPF 90 that will save your leather from sun fade. And that plus dirt buildup is the number 1 cause of folks having to replace their pieces.

I'll post more to this thead when I have more time, but for now I will be carrying the Deluxe Kits of Leathermagic in my store (the $ 59.95 ones) to suit all three classes of hides. I know that seems like a lot of money for leathercare, but the premium kits have the UV blocker in them and a stain preventative that the basic kits do not, and that's easily worth the extra cost to keep your expensive upholstery looking and performing well.

http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/LthrCreKits.htm
    Duane -- Thanks for the head's up. I use Multi-Master (the fabric protection part of LeatherMaster) and tried calling up my local High Point factory. The phones are disconnected (as is the 800#). My local sales rep's phone is disconnected as well.

This is important as the spray-on fabric protection I provide is supposed to be warrantied by MultiMaster.

Do you know whether LeatherMagic has a Fabric Protection division as well?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,

It would be nice if these companies had enough class to at least put on their phone recorders that they are going out of business instead of making all of us figure it out, wouldn't it?

Apparently the Canadian division went under 6 weeks or so ago, and now Multimaster in the USA is gone, too.

Not sure if LeatherMagic has any fabric offerings, but Danny - the owner - is like a walking encyclopedia on leather products so if he doesn't I bet he can steer you to the right supplier that does. Give him a call, he's a good guy - seems eager to help.
    Duane Collie

carmela39 Guest

Default Leather Treatments New Sofa

Duane,
    As you know my leather sofa and loveseat were just delivered. Do I need to protect them with the leather magic product for sun protection right away? I plan to keep my blinds tilted upward to allow for light but no direct sun on the sofa. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Carmela

Hi Carmela,

You're good for a bit, and won't need any cleaning product for about six months. When the time comes, buy the kit with the UV Protection in it and start at that time with it. That's what I would do!

Are you liking your new Hancock and Moore pieces?
    Duane Collie

carmela39 Guest

Duane,
    I'll buy the kit now so I'm ready. Soft cloth I assume? Love the pieces but they look so perfect I feel bad sitting on them. Seems to wrinkle the corners. We may wind up putting it in the living room since it looks more formal than I anticipated. That means eventually another set for in here. I'm thinking restoration sofa is more casual but it's got a low back. Love the tight back wondering if you ever sat on it. Is it comfortable?

Hi Carmela,

You're supposed to use the furniture! Enjoy it! All leather is going to "wrinkle-up" somewhat with use, that's the nature of it. If it has a cushion core, things are going to move around some. Only pure tight backs such as button-tufted chesterfields won't show any movement Also expect some light stretching as the piece is used, mostly in the seat cushions.

At least with the H&M its Grade A Steer Hide which won't give you the horrid stretching issues that come with companies that use cheaper grades of Steer hide or worse yet - cowhide. Grade A Steerhide is the least 'stretchy' of all the leathers they can buy.

The Restoration sofa is more comfortable than it looks - but its not going to be anywhere near as plush as the September series you just took delivery of. It will have a firmer sit to it, and you will not sink into it as much. I do like the way the Restoration feels, but its as different from the September series as eating an apple is different from having an orange.

Do you want me to send you one of the $ 60 kits that has all the good stuff in it?
    Duane Collie

carmela39 Guest

Hi Duane,

You are right of course as usual. I looked at tons of pics posted on garden web and this forum and of course there are "wrinkles" and the furniture looks lived in as it should. I would be happy if you could send me the cleaner and you have my credit card information so it saves me the trouble of ordering it. Does it have the UV protector?
    I see what you mean about restoration not being as plush as September but it has nice lines and with the tight back it will look neater in my family room. We have to wait about a year anyhow so I'll see if I can sit in one by then.Carmela