Thread: Loose Back Cushions or Semi-Attached?

Smile Loose Back Cushions or Semi-Attached?

I am thinking of buying a new Sofa and wondered what anyone's opinion as to whether to get loose cushions or semi-attached? I don't care for the firmness of a tight back and that your rear end falls between the crack of the seat cushion and the back of the sofa. I've had all 3 at one time or another. My complaint with the loose cushions is it seemed like they always needed to be fluffed. But they can be reversed and rotated and repaired more easily as well as replace the cores if necessary. The semi-attached seem to maintain a neater appearance. I'm thinking I will go back to the loose cushions and just fluff them as required.

Default Re: Loose Back Cushions or Semi-Attached?

I prefer loose for 2 reasons:

1 ) Much easier to get access to the cushion core to change out if needed
    2 ) Semi-attached can rip if someone grabs a cushion to move the piece. I've seen that occur many times.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

You're right Duane-- I think I have my answer. I believe the sofa I had several years back that had loose back cushions had a lot of down in them. Down is probably just too soft for the back of a sofa. After some time, you can't fluff that stuff back into shape. This sofa I'm looking at has "fiber filled and channeled " cushions for the back which I'm sure is some sort of Polyester. Seat cushions are a firm High resilient polyurethane foam wrapped in a bag filled with fiber. They sat very well. Not too firm but not mushy. It's a King Hickory which has 8-way tied (or looped-- can't tell from the pictures very well) and the frame is kiln dried Hardwood engineered plywood with Maple rails which looks very similar in construction to the Bradington Young frame that is in my recliner. I know a solid maple frame would be better, but I think this one will provide good service- especially for the price. The sofa sits well and it is heavy-- I tried to pick it up. The upholstery looked to be tailored pretty well also. This sofa will be in my living room that is rarely used- The sofa might be sat on 10 times a year. It's certainly better than the Lazy boy brand sofa that is in there now-- chipped board plywood frame and light as a feather, and those sinuous springs-- sits weird after sitting on a good 8-way spring. A good price point for a better made sofa for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I prefer loose for 2 reasons:

1 ) Much easier to get access to the cushion core to change out if needed
    2 ) Semi-attached can rip if someone grabs a cushion to move the piece. I've seen that occur many times.
    Does this preference in cushion type apply to recliners as well?

Yes it does.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.