Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dining Table and Chairs

Default Dining Table and Chairs

Somebody with really good taste features this dining set on his website:

The chairs appear to be J.L. Treharn Chippendale. What can you tell me about the table?

Thanks.

Oh my gosh, that's a REALLY old photo. That's a set we did about 15 years ago, made by a man named Doug St. Clair of Chambersburg, PA. He and I came up with those designs in the early 1990's after pouring over originals, with the intent to make an affordable grouping (relatively speaking) that was done correctly. We sold everything we could make, then one day I was at Doug's place loading up and he had difficulty assisting me in carrying the a table like you see into the truck. We were both in our early 40's and that was not a difficult lift. Turns out that was the first sign of ALS (Lou Gehrig's) and within 9 months Doug could no longer make furniture. He passed away from ALS in 1999 or 2000, the exact date escapes me. A sad tale, and a terrible disease.

Doug provided JL Treharn with a copy of the chair frame, and their chair is essentially the same footprint but with a different splat and crest rail. I still like the design we came up with better (the splat is called "Owl Eyes".

I can reproduce that set exactly through other cabinetmakers, but I've never had another one who would work as quickly as efficiently as Doug was able to. He was something of a legend back then among the other woodworker's in this trade, they never could figure out how he could make so many for such good prices (chairs were under $ 900 each, and the tables were around $ 3,500). That table was in tiger maple, measuring 48" W x 120" long with two leaves installed.

How times change....that entire area shown in that photo is now nearly all leather upholstery in my store.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

The table is a bit longer than I have room for; my space would better fit a six foot table, extendable to eight feet. But I like the design.

Now that you've pointed it out, I can see the difference between your design and the Treharn design. I think you're right - that yours is nicer.

What sort of ballpark are we in, if we're talking a similar, shorter table and chair set (six side, two arm, either J.L. Treharn or your design), shipped to Michigan? (No, I'm not expecting a final price - just a ballpark for now, if possible.)

(Youngstown is about four hours away from me, and about five hours away from you, in opposite directions? Argh, the insanity of having something shipped to you before it's shipped in the opposite direction, quite likely on the same highway.)

Yes, ALS is a devastating disease. Its truly horrid - worst thing I have even seen in my life happen to someone (and I'm a late-stage cancer survivor myself). As my good doctor friend in Colorado who has seen it all in his career tells me, "That's the one you absolutely do not want to get". Doug went from an able-bodied master cabinentmaker to someone confined in a wheelchair and blink only his eyes. When he could no longer swallow after many years fighting the disease, he died. But I digress......

The JL Treharn Chairs are very well made (based on our design so it has to be!) and to my knowledge the best price for a benchmade Chippendale of any maker (using mortise and tenon joinery, not doweled construction). In cherry or tiger maple, with a muslin slip seat, they are priced at:

$ 969 each for Sides.
    $ 1,149 each for Arms.

Treharn makes a Double Pedestal Table to match, not unlike the one you see. However, it's a bit of a paradox - officially its 'discontinued' so you won't see it on their web site, or dealer web sites, but it's still available. Size is 80" long, 44" wide and 30" high. Comes with a pair of 16" leaves so total run length can be up to 112". Priced at $ 4,365.00.

On that table size you'll only need (4) side chairs unless the table has both leaves installed, then it will accommodate (6).

I've made DPT's as small as 72" with (2) 14" leaves (extends to 100") but that's about the lower size limit on them.

Shipping is easy. Just goes from Ohio - to you. I use Vintage Transport or Plycon Van Lines for that (estimate - about $400 for a DPT and (6) chairs to MI). Or better yet, rent a Ryder Truck and some pads and you can get it yourself at Youngstown, OH.
    Duane Collie

Was the table you're referencing called the "Connecticut Double Pedestal Table"? Through the power of Google, I have found a picture of that table, although the manufacturer isn't identified.

I'd have to see the link.....

Here's a scanned photo of the Treharn DPT table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPT.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	424  
    Duane Collie

Thanks. The one I found had the same pedestals, but was square; but I'm acting like you don't already know that.

Square tops are easy......
    Duane Collie

I've sent you a private message.

johnsmith Guest

Default Re: Dining Table and Chairs

Hi !
    I think that is a really cool design for Dining Table as it looks classy. But i feel the design too old to get custom-made now.
    Moreover its too big for modern kitchen