Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dining Table and Chairs

Default Re: Dining Table and Chairs

The comment by "John Smith" couldn't have been more wrong. The design looks great, and it's anything but too big. Further it's a dining room table, not a kitchen table.

Here are a couple of pictures, one of an armchair and a corner cabinet, and the other of the table and chairs (not extended, although it comes with leaves).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070484.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070486.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	701  

Hey Aaron! You got your Treharn pieces already?! That was fast...when did they arrive? They look great against the red background of the walls. Do you have plans for a rug? if not, put some felt stick-on sliders under the chair legs so they don't scratch your floors.

John Buchanan is just finishing up your other two pieces and is going to call you first of the week to arrange a time to bring them to you.

Oh, and the chair seats will take a 1/2 yard fabric each to cover when you get around to picking something out.

Did Vintage do a good job for you on the delivery?

Thanks again for the order....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

We actually have a carpet that we're going to use; it would be here if our painters weren't so slow - I've been delaying the (local) shipment. The shipper called on Wednesday and said "Delivery on Friday evening or... almost certainly sometime after Thanksgiving", so Friday it was. They literally picked the furniture up at J.L. Treharn on Friday afternoon and drove it straight here. (Last pickup, first drop off.)

I have no complaints about Vintage. I was actually racing out the door when they arrived, so I missed the delivery itself, but I heard no complaints and everything came intact, and was placed where it belongs.

After seeing the "Treharn Sale" thread, it occurred to me to post some updated pictures (with the John Buchanan sideboard in place, carpet, a bit of attention to room decor, and with the chairs reupholstered).

(Sorry - I don't have a wide angle lens.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080548.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	1384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080547.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	1383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080546.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	1382  

juliel Guest

Wow, beautiful table and chairs.

With 2 kids in the household, I wonder, is it fairly easy to reupholster the chairs?

It's really easy. At most it involves unscrewing four screws per chair to remove the seats, which can then be easily transported to your upholsterer.

In terms of cost, I didn't do any significant price shopping, but I was getting prices in the range of $30-$50 per seat with materials (if the frame and padding don't need to be rebuilt) plus the cost of fabric. Think 1/2 yard per chair; if you pick a fabric with a pattern that repeats more frequently the upholsterer indicated that he might have been able to cover three seats per yard. With a large pattern as seen in the picture, you need the 1/2 yard in order to keep the pattern the same on each chair.

Upholsterers typically charge a fee if you supply your own fabric, although it's a trade-off - if you get a really good deal on the fabric somewhere else, or you have a fabric you really like, it doesn't add up to much per chair.

The room looks great, Aaron! you've been busy in there....

I actually do my own seat upholstery for those little slip seats, its not hard if you have a staple gun that can penetrate the maple frame (I have an air-powered Bostich, but you don't need one that powerful). 1/2 yard is right, cut out the pattern with some overlap, relieve the corners and staple away! Thin fabrics are MUCH easier than heavy and thick ones. Don't go crazy on the staples, because one day you have to pull them all out when its time for new covers again....
    Duane Collie

There are a number of videos on YouTube that show how to recover a chair - it looks pretty simple. My thought was (a) I don't have the proper stapler (and don't want to muddle through with the wrong one), (b) I didn't have the foresight to order an extra yard of fabric "just in case", and (c) this way it gets done now instead of 'when I can find the time'. I expect that I wouldn't have messed anything up so badly that I would have lost a half yard of fabric, as the process doesn't seem that complicated, but....

I do it mostly because I was curious to see if I could! Plus it allows me to change the fabric in short order on a whim if needed, or replace a stained cover (I always put an extra yard in storage just for that reason). I like fiddling around with stuff....mostly everything except turning wood on a lathe. Didn't like that so much, the maple blank came flying off the spindle. hit me in the head and knocked me out. First and last time I ever tried to turn a table leg. <g>

Oh, and if you ever want to buy a stapler, this will do the job and not break the bank:

http://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-596.../dp/B001EHEDF6
    Duane Collie

organic_smallhome Guest

I absolutely LOVE this dining set. What is the wood? Would this properly be called "Chippendale" style? It is just gorgeous.